Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your preferred footwear for driving?
Barefoot! 80 13.77%
Flip flops/Chappal/Slippers 57 9.81%
Canvas shoes 42 7.23%
Regular sports/walking shoes 310 53.36%
Leather shoes 17 2.93%
Driving shoes 53 9.12%
Other 22 3.79%
Voters: 581. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2013, 23:15   #76
BHPian

re: Ideal footwear for driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
I Found Puma Shoes which is Officially supplied for Ferrari for less than 100USD.

Puma Ferrari Shoes
I own a pair of these. Puma classifies these shoes as 'Motorsport' shoes. They are one of the better shoes out there(if not the best ) . They give a good feel of the pedals & are easy to clean.

I believe that personal comfort should have greater priority though.

Last edited by mobike008 : 19th November 2013 at 12:42. Reason: 2 smileys per post ONLY
Old 18th November 2013, 23:42   #77
Senior - BHPian

I have these red tape casual slip on shoes that is my preferred footwear for long drives above 200kms. Anything below that, I prefer any sandal/leather slippers. Both have their own advantages and work for me based on the distance.
Old 19th November 2013, 08:47   #78
BHPian

I use either my Puma Speed Cat or slippers while driving the car, both offers good comfort.
Old 19th November 2013, 09:21   #79
Senior - BHPian

Shoes would be my first choice, else sandals (with a bit of heel). Makes for comfortable resting esp on long drives.
Old 19th November 2013, 09:29   #80
Senior - BHPian

On regular drives, I wear whatever is convenient. On long drives 250 km + , I prefer wearing my trusted pair of bata sandals
Reason: It allows the air to circulate, thus keeping the feet fresh and dry. It is light, so my feet don't feel tired and best of all, I can easily slip out of them at will!
Old 19th November 2013, 09:33   #81
Senior - BHPian

When driving using barefoot, I like the precise braking feel- especially when I use the thumb alone to press the brakes.
Old 19th November 2013, 10:44   #82
Senior - BHPian

My preference for long drives would be boat shoes or sweat absorbing floaters.

For incity weekend rides, I would prefer my woodland slippers or sandals.
Old 19th November 2013, 10:48   #83
BHPian

So many people riding barefoot.....Funny thing is I cant drive barefoot now.

In fact when I started driving, my dad always insisted me to ride with footwear on!!

I used to drive in any footwear earlier but for the last 5 years I've been so addicted to Nike Airmax not only for driving but for whenever I need shoes!!
Old 19th November 2013, 10:57   #84
BHPian

I also use Nike sports shoes with airflow. Its very convenient on long drives.

Once i tried driving barefoot on a long drive, the initial feel was good but after sometime the feet started hurting a bit by putting your barefoot on those clutch/break/accelerator.
Old 19th November 2013, 11:02   #85
BHPian

I think there is a law which bars one from driving in a sandal or barefoot. One must wear a "closed" pair of shoes that covers the feet completely. I had heard this while going for the driving test at RTO some 20 years back in India (in Dibrugarh, Assam). Again I had heard it when I had gone for test for my Dubai driving licence some 5 years back (I had eventually got the Dubai driving licence after 1 failed attempt, lucky me, considering it is quite tough to get a driving licence in Dubai even with 15+ years of driving in India!). Can someone confirm whether this "closed" shoes law is worldwide?
Old 19th November 2013, 11:45   #86
BHPian

Never knew a thread like this exist. Thanks for reviving.
I would like to put up my research on footwear while driving since I drive in extreme conditions such as b2b traffic, long drives.

As per my personal experience is concerned, I have felt that shoes with thin soles are a strict no-no since the pressure exerted on the legs are higher and u can start feeling the clutch thrust in a stop-go traffic as well as long drives. Long drives may feel that the usage of clutch is less, but I think thats a myth. Between Bangalore and Mysore we cross heavy traffic in Mandya, Maddur, Ramanagram etc. Even on highways we have to use clutch for engine braking. So pressure is exerted on legs.

Following are the shoes I tried with feedback-
1. Lotto Shockers- They are good for stop-go but in a long drives the leg starts paining.
2. Merell with Vibram sole- Breathing shoes like Nike Air, thin sole like Puma. Strict no no. Can be used for small casual drives.
3. Geox sneakers- Breathing shoes with ventilated soles- again a no no.
4. Geox leather formal- Breathing shoes again, thin soles. Not good for commuting to office.
5. Provogue formal- Thin sole problem.
6. Hush Puppies formal- These are pretty ok for driving since the soles are pretty thick and has a very good cushion. Ok for traffic if commute is less than 10 kms. Not good for long drives.
7. Woodland sandals- These are the worst for driving, though its a myth that it is comfortable. For that matter I lately realized that woodland are the worst of all off-road shoes. I know many will not agree, but to agree u got to try Timberland or the one I am going to mention below.

8. Quechua Forclaz- The best of all shoes for any condition. Best for driving/walking. These are trekking shoes and extremely comfortable. So much that I have kept my Geox and Hush puppies formal shoes in office and use to commute to office in quechua and change them in office. I normally take a bus to office, but even when I am driving to office I do the same.
Long drives are breeze and there is NO fatigue at all in your legs no matter how long u drive. These shoes are available at Decathlon/SportsXS. U can also find it online at Playgroundonline.com.
3 years on and still the shoes are serving good to me without a single sign of wear-tear.
Speed Pujari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 12:03   #87
BHPian

I always prefer footwear with flexible sole so that it flexes while pressing pedals and I also get a feel of pedals. All my shoes formal or informal and slippers can flex almost 180 degrees. The only drawback is when it we do anything strenuously they might not support our feet properly which I found recently when I had a flat and had to bend my toes awkwardly to unscrew the lug nuts. I ended up spraining my metatarsus bone.
Old 19th November 2013, 12:18   #88
BHPian

Nothing beats the feel, precision and feedback of driving barefoot for me!!
Old 19th November 2013, 12:48   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debmum View Post
I think there is a law which bars one from driving in a sandal or barefoot. One must wear a "closed" pair of shoes that covers the feet completely. I had heard this while going for the driving test at RTO some 20 years back in India (in Dibrugarh, Assam). Again I had heard it when I had gone for test for my Dubai driving licence some 5 years back (I had eventually got the Dubai driving licence after 1 failed attempt, lucky me, considering it is quite tough to get a driving licence in Dubai even with 15+ years of driving in India!). Can someone confirm whether this "closed" shoes law is worldwide?
Really? There is such a law? Does it apply to only cars or all other transport as well? First time I am hearing this. You can imagine how many drivers in rickshaws, trucks, public buses or even volvos drive wearing chappals or sandals. Worst is those "Kolhapuri Chappals". They have very smooth soles and most drivers in the western parts must be using those.
Old 19th November 2013, 12:51   #90
Senior - BHPian

Have been using my Hush Puppies everyday while I drive to work. They're extremely comfortable and the soft gel-like inner soles keep your feet relaxed.

The only problem is that I've got rectangular block spiked floor mats on my Vento and they somehow manage to scratch and/or rip off the soft rubber lining of the soles that these Hush Puppies come with. Not a big issue, but one needs to know the only negative aspect of wearing these.

My rating : 4/5 for daily commutes

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks