Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2011, 10:56   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura TSi Classic launched at Rs.12.25Lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maibaa View Post
I got the alloys changed at the dealership itself. The stock 15" alloys had goodyear NCT tyres and I got the upgrade to 17" alloys with Michellin PP2 with 225/45/R17 profile. The 5th wheel gets a standard steel rim with the tyre upgrade. I am yet to receive the upgrade for the spare wheel as they have no stock of 17" steel rims. I may get a 5th alloy instead. Waiting to hear from the dealer.

I dont think there is any issue with warranty as Laura comes with 15, 16 or 17" specs for the alloys. I paid 65K for the alloy and tyre upgrade.
Good stuff! Do you remember the break-up of the 65k? How much for the new rims, tyres and buyback for the old ones?
How's the ride on the 17 inchers?
Old 17th May 2011, 11:05   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Good stuff! Do you remember the break-up of the 65k? How much for the new rims, tyres and buyback for the old ones?
How's the ride on the 17 inchers?
The 17" alloys cost 14K each and the tyres are 12K each. Hence I got 4 alloys and 5 tyres plus the spare rim upgrade. After the buyback of 15" alloys and tyres, the nett amount I got to pay was 65K.

I was a bit apprehensive about going in for 17" due to the general comments on degradation of ride quality with the low profile tyres. Surprisingly the ride quality on 17" is excellent. Frankly speaking I am unable to make out any noticeable difference. I have to be a little careful at humps and potholes so that I don't damage the alloys. The steering is delightfully heavy at good speeds and very light at parking speeds. I haven't taken her out on the highways yet to check the noise levels or the ride and handling.

Last edited by Maibaa : 17th May 2011 at 11:20.
Old 17th May 2011, 13:48   #63
BHPian

Quote:
The 17" alloys cost 14K each and the tyres are 12K each. Hence I got 4 alloys and 5 tyres plus the spare rim upgrade. After the buyback of 15" alloys and tyres, the nett amount I got to pay was 65K.

I was a bit apprehensive about going in for 17" due to the general comments on degradation of ride quality with the low profile tyres. Surprisingly the ride quality on 17" is excellent. Frankly speaking I am unable to make out any noticeable difference. I have to be a little careful at humps and potholes so that I don't damage the alloys. The steering is delightfully heavy at good speeds and very light at parking speeds. I haven't taken her out on the highways yet to check the noise levels or the ride and handling.
I had 17" VRS wheels on my TSI for 8months, but downgraded to 16" wheels & found a much softer slow speed ride quality, at high speeds there isn't much difference but at speeds below 60km the ride is better on 16" anyday the 17" look haawt like hell on the laura just wished mumbai had better roads NICE CAR CONGRATS..

Cheers..
Old 24th May 2011, 16:31   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Atleast this will get some people looking at ANHC/T-jet/Vento etc to the Skoda showroom, given the lowered price difference. From the Showroom, some careful pitching can actually get people to stretch for the Ambiente. I guess, this will also help get some numbers for Ambiente as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
I am still not sure if this is a good move or not. OK, agreed, they have gotten rid of the bells and whistles and given the bare minimum, which in itself is a killer, because of the engine. 160 BHP is it? Wow, thats a stonker.

However time and again, what comes to my mind is, why would Skoda do that now, specially when the Octi replacement is only a few quarters away. That car itself would be in the same price range. NO? Wouldnt they be eating into their own sales?
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiokidb View Post
The engine is indeed a stonker! I have yet to see a TSI on the roads though, have only seen pics on TBHP so far. Sad that our diesel mentality has resulted in this car being shunned by buyers! :/

The Octy replacement is going to be based on the Vento, and will be priced lower. Its a C segment sedan so its not going to be priced anywhere close to the Laura
Internationally, Laura is known as Octavia, with a wide range of engine choices for petrol including MPI and TSI engines. The 7 speed DSG is available on 1.2 TSI (105 BHP), 1.4 TSI (122 BHP) and 1.8 TSI (160 BHP). There are 11 colour options available, wide range of interior choices, and stellar looking 17 inch alloys.

Why not 1.4 TSI with Manual and DSG options in India? A 1.4 TSI with MT and DSG with most of the bells and whistles and a sub 10 Lakh price point will possibly kill off ANHC forever, and force them to re-look at their pricing and features! Let them re-badge it as Octavia or something else if they don't want to spoil the premium image of Laura. But yes, that could kill Vento as well.
Old 24th May 2011, 16:57   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tats07 View Post
Internationally, Laura is known as Octavia, with a wide range of engine choices for petrol including MPI and TSI engines. The 7 speed DSG is available on 1.2 TSI (105 BHP), 1.4 TSI (122 BHP) and 1.8 TSI (160 BHP). There are 11 colour options available, wide range of interior choices, and stellar looking 17 inch alloys.

Why not 1.4 TSI with Manual and DSG options in India? A 1.4 TSI with MT and DSG with most of the bells and whistles and a sub 10 Lakh price point will possibly kill off ANHC forever, and force them to re-look at their pricing and features! Let them re-badge it as Octavia or something else if they don't want to spoil the premium image of Laura. But yes, that could kill Vento as well.
The TSi classic itself sells for 12.25 lakh(and it has too many mising features). Even if they were to replace the 1.8 engine with the 1.4, how much do you think they could reduce the price? The max price reduction if we're being extremely generous could be 50k. Not sure how you arrived at the 10 lakh figure, there's no way they can get anywhere close to it. Besides the Laura is a D segment sedan(at least by price if not for size). They already have the Vento and upcoming Rapid competing in the sub-10 lakh segment.
Old 25th May 2011, 11:33   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiokidb View Post
The TSi classic itself sells for 12.25 lakh(and it has too many mising features). Even if they were to replace the 1.8 engine with the 1.4, how much do you think they could reduce the price? The max price reduction if we're being extremely generous could be 50k. Not sure how you arrived at the 10 lakh figure, there's no way they can get anywhere close to it. Besides the Laura is a D segment sedan(at least by price if not for size). They already have the Vento and upcoming Rapid competing in the sub-10 lakh segment.
I was not referring to Laura being re-positioned as a C segment sedan; let it retain its place in D. I was rather referring to the same TSI engine 1.4 (or even the 1.2) engine, which is an option in other countries, being launched and and re-badged and re-positioned as a C segment sedan - it need not carry the Laura name at all. I agree Vento is there, but it's a Volkswagen brand, and is not a TSI petrol engine. Even if it is priced at 11-11.5 lakh ex-showroom with some features missing, wouldn't lots of C segment aspirants want to have a go at it?

All this anyway is wishful thinking.

Don't know about Skoda Rapid though.
Old 25th May 2011, 17:33   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tats07 View Post
I was not referring to Laura being re-positioned as a C segment sedan; let it retain its place in D. I was rather referring to the same TSI engine 1.4 (or even the 1.2) engine, which is an option in other countries, being launched and and re-badged and re-positioned as a C segment sedan - it need not carry the Laura name at all. I agree Vento is there, but it's a Volkswagen brand, and is not a TSI petrol engine. Even if it is priced at 11-11.5 lakh ex-showroom with some features missing, wouldn't lots of C segment aspirants want to have a go at it?

All this anyway is wishful thinking.

Don't know about Skoda Rapid though.
Sir, the Skoda Rapid will indeed do all the things you want Skoda to do.
They will however use the same engines as the vento. Dont expect any TSI power in the car.

I dont believe the same car can be sold under 2 names as you have suggested.
Old 31st May 2011, 01:47   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post

No big deal, never worked properly

Only L&K has it if i am correct

Dont thik it ever came with it
rain sensing wipers work great for me.
i have got auto dimming rear view mirror.(just the inside one though)
i have got the glove compartment refrigerator also but it is only one more blower from the A/C
Old 31st May 2011, 08:49   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Man, a Laura TSI at 10.99 is a freaking steal! Those 160 horses make it an awesome value proposition.

IMHO people don't mind paying the extra 2 lakhs for the CRDi (DSG) which has a 140 BHP engine anyway (the MT has 110). But at these prices, the "Classic" should have quite a few takers, no?

Like GTO said, fitting the alloys, music system etc. should not be a problem. Cooled glovebox is a nice-to-have at best and if you can't "sense" when it's raining yourself, you should probably not drive

Anyone here bought one?
Old 31st May 2011, 09:14   #70
BHPian

Where did u hear the 10.99 ex show room price for classic? it was 12.25 about a month back in Bengaluru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Man, a Laura TSI at 10.99 is a freaking steal! Those 160 horses make it an awesome value proposition.

IMHO people don't mind paying the extra 2 lakhs for the CRDi (DSG) which has a 140 BHP engine anyway (the MT has 110). But at these prices, the "Classic" should have quite a few takers, no?

Like GTO said, fitting the alloys, music system etc. should not be a problem. Cooled glovebox is a nice-to-have at best and if you can't "sense" when it's raining yourself, you should probably not drive

Anyone here bought one?
Old 31st May 2011, 12:30   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Where did u hear the 10.99 ex show room price for classic? it was 12.25 about a month back in Bengaluru.
GTO's post, scroll up a bit. It is apparently 10.99 ex showroom Thane which is similar to Pune prices. No confirmation though- will find out when I visit Skoda showroom next.
Old 31st May 2011, 12:55   #72
BHPian

@ noopster : absolutely i think if one is not concerned about cost of fuel than he should definitely go for the TSI.
while the cooled glovebox is of no or little use the rain sensing wipers are actually useful. I experienced it when i was driving back from shimla and it started raining. I didn't have to even touch the wiper controller all through the way. And if you come to think of it, it is actually a distraction reducing and increasing the speed of wipers according to the rain and sensors work perfectly judging the amount of rain.

nonetheless the TSI classic is still a steal and the above features should not stop you from buying it..

Last edited by varunsonu : 31st May 2011 at 12:57.
Old 31st May 2011, 15:37   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsonu View Post

nonetheless the TSI classic is still a steal and the above features should not stop you from buying it..
In addition to all the missing features discussed, not even a center armrest console on a 12L car is not something to ignore. You cannot add this later as after market. Hence who ever is actually going for a petrol model will pay a little more and get the TSI Ambiente.
Old 1st June 2011, 10:35   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately this is not true. The deisel Ambiente gets to retain the fog lamps. Only the petrol version is stripped of them.

I am saddened by this step motherly treatment for the petrol version. Just because there are huge discounts on the TSI and sales is low, Skoda cannot just start removing bare essentials like fog lamps from the ambiente version when they have launched the classic version just for that purpose.

The dealership's response to this is "fog lamps not necessary Sir!" I wonder what they have to say about the presence of fog lamps in other variants.. "only for style"?
I recently took delivery of a Silver Ambiente TSI from Vinayak Cars. The missing Fog Lamps had been a subject of major debate between me and the dealer. I booked the car on 29th April and took delivery on 27th May. The reason for the delay was that the car they had in stock did not have fog lamps and I was not convinced of their "Fog lamps have been discontinued in the Ambiente" theory. I wasn't convinced since the Classic was launched recently and all magazines and websites mentioned very clearly that fog lamps was one of the features missing in the Classic compared to Ambiente. I then talked to TAFE Access who said they can assure me of a car with fog lamps if I was prepared to wait for a month. Conveyed this message to Vinayak cars and told them I was prepared to wait for a new car with fog lamps. The car arrived on the 24th. Checked the car at their workshop and sure enough the car had fog lamps as had been confirmed by Skoda to the dealer before dispatch. The explanation from Vinayak : "Skoda have restarted Fog lamps in Ambiente, sir, and your car is the first car to get fog lamps" !

Last edited by .anshuman : 1st June 2011 at 11:26. Reason: Highlighted a part of post. Thanks for sharing
Old 1st June 2011, 17:48   #75
BHPian

@santoshbhat : check your VIN number for the date of manufacturing of your car. My friend got his car last week and it had fog lights. When i checked the VIN number. found out that the car was manufactured in june 2010 while delivery was may 2011..

@maibaa: one should go for the ambeint trim as price difference is very low for the difference in features but if someone is not at all bothered about them then the engine, the handling, the ride quality that this car offers certainly cannot be compared to the price the company is demanding. So, it actually is a steal,

P.S. i think center arm rest can be fitted as aftermarket. it must be available at superskoda.co.uk. (haven't checked it out though)

Last edited by varunsonu : 1st June 2011 at 17:56.

Most Viewed