Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2006, 22:04   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Good review Steeroid.....Quite an eye-opener...if you look at the cars in the Upper A3 that have been around for a year, Fiesta is second to NHC in sales for the period April to October.........not bad at all in a country full of Ford haters....
Touche' ! Next time I'll write about how well Ford's doing, and how bad people are to hate them. 20k cars a year is a figure that would make GM go green with envy.
Old 6th December 2006, 22:17   #17
Senior - BHPian

This is the best ever thread I have come across TBHP.... Gr8 work steer... Honda and Maruti dominating respective markets... I was stunned to see Civic eating up Octavia market in its starting period.... I hope this will continue and would not be a beginer's luck...

Cheers
NeoOnWheels
1.2 Palio sport
Old 6th December 2006, 22:24   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
This is the best ever thread I have come across TBHP.... Gr8 work steer...
Dude - all the hard work was done by the old man M A Baig. I just posted HIS research....give credit where its due. I've always felt that we should have DIRECT access to SIAM submissions - what say GTO?

I just happen to like analyzing figures, but dont quote me on that....
Old 6th December 2006, 22:29   #19
Senior - BHPian

If we get access to such data, it would make TBHP a one place car buyers guide . And yes all credit goes to the person behind this study with lil to you for bringing it out here

Cheers
1.2 Palio sport
Old 7th December 2006, 02:32   #20
Senior - BHPian

That would be lots of work but worthy at that and it will need lots of proffessional attention.

Look at how 800 has fallen and alto has risen so quickly. Even the WagonR is catching up but somehow Santro is way ahead.

Also Mondeo doesnt seem to have sold even a single unit. :P
Old 7th December 2006, 12:23   #21
BHPian

Great information - I never knew all this info was available in such a compact form. I used to google for car sales information for each model!

Thanks for posting,
Amit.
Old 7th December 2006, 13:35   #22
Senior - BHPian

Toyota India were so image conscious when it came to the Toyota Qualis[even though people loved it] but I feel the present Toyota corolla is really hurting the toyota brand much more.

Wake up Toyota.
Old 7th December 2006, 14:13   #23
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the 'dated' esteem is still selling like hot cakes. look at the performance of the Accent & Ikon in the same period. they have lost 50% & 75% of their market share compared to 2002-03, while Esteem has gained. I am sure more than 90% of the Indigos sold have been diesel. I guess the Esteem is still considered Value For Money.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 7th December 2006 at 14:20.
Old 7th December 2006, 15:14   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Looks like the 'dated' esteem is still selling like hot cakes. look at the performance of the Accent & Ikon in the same period. they have lost 50% & 75% of their market share compared to 2002-03, while Esteem has gained. I am sure more than 90% of the Indigos sold have been diesel. I guess the Esteem is still considered Value For Money.
Esteem is 'C-' segments' M-800. It has reached its plateau. It won't rise or fall very quickly either way.

Zen's market share is gobbled up by Santro/Wagon-R/Alto and Indica.

Palios and Petras have shown >100% growth, but that is more due to their small numbers. It's still too small a number to make any rational comparison with competitors. It would be interesting to see how it keeps up till March 07. If it actually does, competitors may have a 'glance' at them.

Civic may have been everyone else, but it may also be because of the new car hype. NHC sales is sustained through its FE magic, so dear to Indian customers. Not sure if Civic can retain the number same way, or will it head Swift way.
Old 7th December 2006, 15:44   #25
BHPian

Great analysis steeroid. But just adding two more very interesting points.

1.If you see the overall segmentation vs.sales data there is clear linear relationship between the two. Higher the class, lower the overall sales in that particular class. The only exception is A3 segment where it has been negated(lower A3-7.8% whereas upperA3--10.2%). This cearly says that the proportionately more number of A3 customers are exercising the higher value options.

2.For the same manufacturing company namely MUL and between the two discontinued (soon to be) models Zen and Baleno ,more and more people are still opting for Baleno during April--October,06 albeit being in two different segments. Baleno has sold closed to 60% in this period compared to 11k sales of financial year 2005-06. Whereas,for the same period it is only19% for Zen. Now,view this against the general trend of linear relationship between overall sales vs.segmentation. In general,it is higher the class lower the overall sales.But,surprisingly for MUL, it is higher the class higher the sale between two discontinued varients. Very interesting finding !
Old 7th December 2006, 16:15   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debasischatterj View Post
2.For the same manufacturing company namely MUL and between the two discontinued (soon to be) models Zen and Baleno ,more and more people are still opting for Baleno during April--October,06 albeit being in two different segments. Baleno has sold closed to 60% in this period compared to 11k sales of financial year 2005-06. Whereas,for the same period it is only19% for Zen. Now,view this against the general trend of linear relationship between overall sales vs.segmentation. In general,it is higher the class lower the overall sales.But,surprisingly for MUL, it is higher the class higher the sale between two discontinued varients. Very interesting finding !
News about Zen production being stopped came out in March 2006 [http://in.rediff.com/money/2006/mar/06maruti.htm]. I guess for Baleno we didn't have concrete information till Oct 2006. Also, along with Zen, Maruti had WagonR (similarly priced, difference being tall-boy design). People could have opted for low end WagonR instead of Zen. In case of Baleno, there was no similar offering from Maruti stable (Esteem being in a different segment).
This could be the reason for higher sales of higher class for the discontinued models.

Last edited by msdivy : 7th December 2006 at 16:16.
Old 7th December 2006, 16:54   #27
Senior - BHPian

I think a major chunk of the Zen market went to the esteem, a natural choice for zen lovers
Old 7th December 2006, 21:17   #28
Senior - BHPian

Esteem is a cash cow and they will milk it till they can. It will never get killed by them. Only the market can do that. And most car manufacturers would like to have numbers like that!

Wonder whats Hyundai gonna do next for its 8L upwards cars. Nothing is working for them in these segments and cutting pricing further down is never going to work.
Old 7th December 2006, 22:36   #29
BHPian

These are the preview of JD Power analysis on CSI India 2006.
India Customer Satisfaction Index (CSI) Study

I hope it contributes to the thread.
Old 8th December 2006, 05:10   #30
BANNED

Can't we make this thread sticky and update it every monthly/quarterly/half-yearly with the latest sales figures rather than hunting here and there to know the real facts or believing the words of morons...
Closed Thread

Most Viewed