Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2007, 14:48   #286
Senior - BHPian

It would be helpful if you could elaborate on the so-called "goodies" that the Logan has vis-a-vis the SX4/NHC.

IMO, the Logan remains an entry-level C-segmenter, with peers like the Indigo, Esteem, Flair, Accent-GLE etc.

BTW, is the diesel engine in the Logan a CRDI ? A colleague is getting his diesel Logan today, making it stand out as the only Logan in the office parking lot.
Old 3rd August 2007, 14:55   #287
Senior - BHPian

Yea its dCi which is Nissan/Renault's name for Common Rail.
Old 3rd August 2007, 15:43   #288
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
IMO, the Logan remains an entry-level C-segmenter, with peers like the Indigo, Esteem, Flair, Accent-GLE etc.
Considering the price range in which the Logan operates, i dont think it can be classified as just an entry level C segmenter, however much i want it to be just that.

Take a look any comparos which are done by the auto mags, and usually the Logan's competition is not just these alone, but the actual C segmenters like the Fiesta and the Verna.
Old 3rd August 2007, 16:00   #289
Team-BHP Support

Seriously, how many customers would the NHC lose to the Logan? I don't think a prospective NHC buyer would consider the Logan as an option. The SX4 yes, but not the Logan. There are exceptions, but they do not form the rule.
Old 3rd August 2007, 16:09   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Seriously, how many customers would the NHC lose to the Logan? I don't think a prospective NHC buyer would consider the Logan as an option. The SX4 yes, but not the Logan. There are exceptions, but they do not form the rule.

yes,youre right,doesnt matter wht image mahindra wants to create of logan ,actually logon does not deserve to compete with NHC ,i dont know about the top end model of logan,but actually only SX4 has thr right to compete with the NHC,logan actually belongs to inferior segment around the world..
Old 3rd August 2007, 17:08   #291
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Logan although its entry level segment Sedan its packed with all goodies that Luxury segment Segment
Hmm, the only goodie* that I can think of in the Logan is the driver airbag.

* My usual gripe of a safety feature being classified as a goodie**
** Don't know if this is an actual word, and too lazy to check it out. Sam Kapasi, don't kill me!
Old 3rd August 2007, 18:49   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29
Considering the price range in which the Logan operates, i dont think it can be classified as just an entry level C segmenter
OK, lets take a look at the prices. Comparing the 1.6litre petrol versions of the Logan and the SX4, the ex-showroom Mumbai prices are as below (taken from respective websites) :

Logan GLX 1.6 : 526,602
Logan GLS 1.6 : 568,789

SX4 Zxi : 725,200
SX4 Zxi with leather : 760,200

Clearly, there is no similarity in price range to say that they belong to the same segment. Comparing diesel Logan does not make sense as SX4 does not have a diesel version and also diesel cars anyway cost more than petrol versions here. Even then, their costliest diesel version is 1.17lakhs cheaper than the top-end SX4 version.

You still think they belong to the same price range ?

And given how it stands vis-a-vis the SX4 in price, it is futile to compare it with the diesels like Verna and Fiesta, as far as price is concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip
Hmm, the only goodie* that I can think of in the Logan is the driver airbag.
The Logan has an airbag. Thats cool and a good step by Mahindra.
Old 3rd August 2007, 19:45   #293
Senior - BHPian

When SX4 and NHC were busy fighting it out, Logan came from behind and edged them out!

I think Logan has the VFM factor working for it, also the loads of Space & comfort it offers.
Old 3rd August 2007, 19:54   #294
Senior - BHPian

Agreed that the Logan has done good business, which is proven by the number of them you see on roads. But saying that it has edged out the NHC and SX4 is not correct, given the different segments they are in.

It is as logical as saying that the Alto and Santro beat the NHC/SX4 in sales, just because they happen to sell by the truckloads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos
Yea its dCi which is Nissan/Renault's name for Common Rail.
Hmm. I was not aware of that. Another feather in the Logan hat.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 3rd August 2007 at 19:56.
Old 4th August 2007, 01:51   #295
BHPian

Is there any information with regard to the sales of CHEVY SPARK ?? Have seen just 3 of them in bangalore so far. Also heard they are offering 15k discount.
Old 4th August 2007, 13:06   #296
Senior - BHPian

Moneycontrol India :: News :: Logan tops in mid-car segment for first time :: Mahindra and Mahindra :: Business :: Renault,Logan,Maruti Suzuki,Mahindra ,SX4,Honda City ,Pawan Goenka
logan heading the C segment. Nice .

cheers
Old 4th August 2007, 18:10   #297
Senior - BHPian

AC 427,its nice of you to take the trouble to post this news

but here is a question o all the forum members,isnt the news non sense,i mean why is logan even geting compared with sx4 or city??!,it is below the dignity of both honda and suzuki....wont all of you agree with me if i say both sx4 and the city are superior to logan??then what is the meaning of this news???(what do you guys think) IMO it should compete with esteem,accent ,ikon and all the VFMs...tell me if i am wrong,cause my statement is debatable
Old 4th August 2007, 20:02   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
Is there any information with regard to the sales of CHEVY SPARK ?? Have seen just 3 of them in bangalore so far. Also heard they are offering 15k discount.
Guess Spark is not doing that great, considering only 1400 odd units sold in July. Tavera sold about 1600 & Aveo about 1200 in July.
Old 4th August 2007, 21:06   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Agreed that the Logan has done good business, which is proven by the number of them you see on roads. But saying that it has edged out the NHC and SX4 is not correct, given the different segments they are in.

It is as logical as saying that the Alto and Santro beat the NHC/SX4 in sales, just because they happen to sell by the truckloads.
I just thought of replying with same example, you did it.

While comparing selling numbers, it is wise to go by segment.

It was proven that (overall) lower segments will see more numbers than higher segments, price is key point here.

How many Accord's sell compared to Alto and M800?
Old 4th August 2007, 21:32   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMATMO View Post
AC 427,its nice of you to take the trouble to post this news

but here is a question o all the forum members,isnt the news non sense,i mean why is logan even geting compared with sx4 or city??!,it is below the dignity of both honda and suzuki....wont all of you agree with me if i say both sx4 and the city are superior to logan??then what is the meaning of this news???(what do you guys think) IMO it should compete with esteem,accent ,ikon and all the VFMs...tell me if i am wrong,cause my statement is debatable
Absolutely right.

C segment range is vast and price range is huge. When manufacturers report numbers, they don't want too many segments to be mentioned separately.

In reality, from consumer's perspective, we should look at focused segments.

My view is like this:
  1. A segment (Alto, M800)
  2. entry B segment (Santro, WagonR, Indica, etc)
  3. premium B segment (Getz, Swift, etc)
  4. entry C segment (Ikon flair, Accent, Esteem, Logan, etc)
  5. Premium C segment (SX4, NHC, Fiesta, Verna, etc)
  6. Entry D segment (Civic, etc)
If I categorize like this, then I can compare them in better way - Do you folks agree with me?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed