Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2007, 11:49   #301
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
OK, lets take a look at the prices. Comparing the 1.6litre petrol versions of the Logan and the SX4, the ex-showroom Mumbai prices are as below (taken from respective websites) :

Logan GLX 1.6 : 526,602
Logan GLS 1.6 : 568,789
Exactly my point, good that you have listed the prices.
Based on these, we can say the Logan is an entry level C segmenter.
My question remains answered, which is, why are the auto mags comparing it with the Fiesta and Verna?

I feel it should be compared with the Accent, Ikon and Esteem.
Old 6th August 2007, 12:24   #302
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
My question remains answered, which is, why are the auto mags comparing it with the Fiesta and Verna?
In fact, Overdrive declared Logan 1.6 the winner of segment with Fiesta 1.4/ Aveo 1.4/ Accent 1.5 GLE.
Old 6th August 2007, 15:57   #303
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
In fact, Overdrive declared Logan 1.6 the winner of segment with Fiesta 1.4/ Aveo 1.4/ Accent 1.5 GLE.
Since its Overdrive, i am not even bothered.
Old 6th August 2007, 17:10   #304
BHPian

Well the prices of Logan 1.5 and Fiesta 1.4 are quite comparable... so why not compare?
Old 6th August 2007, 17:10   #305
Senior - BHPian

The main reason why Logan is compared with B segment premium hatch (Swift, Getz etc) and its own segment entry C segment and Premium C Segment is Logan's price point/features/space/comfort. However quality and refinement can't be compared with Premium C Segment but Indian buyer don't give value to refinement/quality/safety. So few people who look for practical sedan buy Logan.

Same applies to Indigo as well.

Person who is member in TBHP might not agree why Logan/Indigo are compared with other cars 1 segment low(Swift,Getz etc.) and 1 segment more(NHC,Fiesta etc) but I have found this is how typical indian buyer thinks while buying cars.

Also note that Mahindra and TATA don't have any premium sedan to compete in Premium C segment so they have positioned their entry level sedan variants which can be compared with premium C segment sedans too ( example top end logan and Indigo XL)

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 6th August 2007 at 17:20.
Old 6th August 2007, 21:25   #306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
The main reason why Logan is compared with B segment premium hatch (Swift, Getz etc) and its own segment entry C segment and Premium C Segment is Logan's price point/features/space/comfort. However quality and refinement can't be compared with Premium C Segment but Indian buyer don't give value to refinement/quality/safety. So few people who look for practical sedan buy Logan.

Same applies to Indigo as well.

Person who is member in TBHP might not agree why Logan/Indigo are compared with other cars 1 segment low(Swift,Getz etc.) and 1 segment more(NHC,Fiesta etc) but I have found this is how typical indian buyer thinks while buying cars.

Also note that Mahindra and TATA don't have any premium sedan to compete in Premium C segment so they have positioned their entry level sedan variants which can be compared with premium C segment sedans too ( example top end logan and Indigo XL)

Regards,

Ravi.
that does make some sense
Old 7th August 2007, 11:15   #307
Senior - BHPian

Has Toyota come out with it's July sales? All we know is they sold around 500 Corolla's which is about the average number they sell every month.

I am not convinced that the Civic has hit Corolla sales. Even when the Civic was not avaliable, I don't remember Corolla selling 1200-1400 units every month. Maybe it did in the initial honeymoon period but after that I don't think it crossed about 600-750 units. In fact, considering the aura around the Corolla name round the world, I'd say the car actually flopped in India.
Old 7th August 2007, 12:17   #308
BHPian

While the Logan has topped SX4 by 50 cars, I doubt if it can sustain the lead. Look at the demand for Logan. The waiting period for Logan has come down to 1-2 weeks from 4-5 weeks, while Mahindra has not increased the production capacity. The SX4 has the highest demand in the segment and can sustain the figures atleast for another 3 months.

On the other hand, I think it is wrong to compare Logan with NHC/SX4/Fiesta/Verna. The competition for Logan in Indigo/Ikon/Accent. I am sure the Logan will remain on top compared to the entry segment sedans.
Old 8th August 2007, 00:47   #309
Senior - BHPian

Frankly, I don't understand why people are so worried about who is selling how much. The manufacturers should be doing that....I can see people becoming ambassadors of various manufacturers. Or is it that sales figures prove which is the better car? And this thread is a quest for the same?

Well, if you have nothing better to do.....

As for me, I got nothing better to do than comment on these threads
Old 9th August 2007, 13:36   #310
Senior - BHPian

Domestic passenger car sales in July grew by 11.18 per cent at 89,548 units as against 80,543 units in the same month a year ago.
According to figures released by Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM), domestic motorcycle sales during the month was at 3,75,004 units as against 4,53,152 units in July 2006, down by 17.25 per cent.
Total two-wheelers sold in the country during July stood at 5,03,356 units, registering a dip of 9.95 per cent as compared to 5,58,982 units sold in the year-ago period.
Domestic sales of commercial vehicles during the month was up by 2.53 per cent at 33,496 units as against 32,670 units in the corresponding month a year ago.

Car sales up 11% in July, bike down 17%
Old 9th August 2007, 14:20   #311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan
As for me, I got nothing better to do than comment on these threads
Given your indignation at consumers being worried about manufacturers sales figures, shouldn't you rather be saying, "I got better things to do than comment on these threads" ? Else you would be contradicting yourself, kuttapayi.
Old 9th August 2007, 14:24   #312
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Else you would be contradicting yourself, kuttapayi.
I think he was trying to be funny, sb.
Old 9th August 2007, 19:28   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balaji_n29 View Post
While the Logan has topped SX4 by 50 cars, I doubt if it can sustain the lead. Look at the demand for Logan. The waiting period for Logan has come down to 1-2 weeks from 4-5 weeks, while Mahindra has not increased the production capacity.
The Logan is also not present in as many locations/dealerships as the SX4. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 9th August 2007, 21:22   #314
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
The Logan is also not present in as many locations/dealerships as the SX4. Correct me if I am wrong.
Not even launched in our part of the country!
Old 10th August 2007, 10:25   #315
Team-BHP Support

When the Logan gets launched in Kerala the diesel variant will be lapped up with pleasure. Thats my prediction.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed