Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2007, 15:19   #391
Senior - BHPian

At 1500+ units, the Tavera is making its presence felt...Its a darn competent utility vehicle.

Yes, but also look at the decline in market share from 11-12% a year ago to 9% now.

Logan sales coming down to realistic levels. In the long-term, I dont think it is going to be the hot seller that our car magazines have predicted it to be. Over-priced and zero appeal.

Typical style of many companies to hawk their over the hill products in India. I read in the Automotive News recently that the worldwide trend of automakers to develop ultra lowcost cars may backfire. This is because they are usually not profitable on a unit basis, but with large volumes they may make profits (by spreading huge fixed costs on a large volume). However, the volume strategy is based on enough buyers for these ultra low cost `cars'. This may not happen in potentially high volume markets such as India and China, since with fast growing incomes, buyers may be turned off no frills cars. Have you seen the long term decline of 800. It was the best selling car, but since the latest economic boom from mid-2003, it has been going down.
Old 11th September 2007, 15:24   #392
Senior - BHPian

With all due respects to Suzuki, when will they stop selling `downgraded for India' cars/SUVs. In the US, Grand Vitara's sales are less than 10% of CRVs sales. Further Grand vitara (like the SX4) has a better, more powerful engine in the US.
Old 11th September 2007, 15:32   #393
Senior - BHPian

If you notice the trend in segment sales, you may note that higher interest rates and restrictive financing conditions are affecting only small and compact car sales, and to some extent mid-size. The higher segments are booming, reflecting the buyer profile (mostly well heeled with many getting corporate cars).
Old 11th September 2007, 22:05   #394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
At 1500+ units, the Tavera is making its presence felt...Its a darn competent utility vehicle.

Yes, but also look at the decline in market share from 11-12% a year ago to 9% now...
Vasudeva, thanks for the Excel Spreadsheet, but how do you get to know sales of individual car models?
Old 11th September 2007, 22:34   #395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Downward spiral for Hondas best? Thats almost a whopping 40% drop in sales compared to last August.
True, if you look at it from the "glass is half-full angle". But from the optimist's point of view, here was a D-segmenter that was selling almost 50% of what its own C-segmenter was selling.

I don't know about Mumbai and Delhi, but in Chennai, I see more Civics than NHCs. Actually that's a godsend, given the ugly looks of the NHC. I would rather have more of the Civics on road than the rodent-resembling NHCs.
Old 11th September 2007, 22:58   #396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Palios future is sealed.
I think they should stop selling the Palio before the GP and Linea launch. A lot of prospective customers may not buy the GP/Linea if they see a Palio standing next to them in the showrooms!
Old 12th September 2007, 10:14   #397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardofid View Post
Vasudeva, thanks for the Excel Spreadsheet, but how do you get to know sales of individual car models?
Unfortunately, model wise sales are not available with SIAM. You can only infer. For example, Honda only has City in 4001-4500 mm segment, and GM only has Tavera in the UV segment. However, MUL has many cars in the 3401-4000 mm segment-Alto, Zen, Wagon R, Swift Petrol, and Swift Diesel, so no official SIAM figures are available. Only source for such data is manufacturer's website (if they give such a breakup) or auto mags.
Old 12th September 2007, 12:39   #398
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Typical style of many companies to hawk their over the hill products in India. I read in the Automotive News recently that the worldwide trend of automakers to develop ultra lowcost cars may backfire. This is because they are usually not profitable on a unit basis, but with large volumes they may make profits (by spreading huge fixed costs on a large volume). However, the volume strategy is based on enough buyers for these ultra low cost `cars'.
Correct, and the Logan may be "low cost". But has it equated into a "low price"? I dont think so.

Quote:
Have you seen the long term decline of 800. It was the best selling car, but since the latest economic boom from mid-2003, it has been going down.
Absolutely and its great to see the 800 giving way to the Alto. Maruti had planned it exactly this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
I think they should stop selling the Palio before the GP and Linea launch. A lot of prospective customers may not buy the GP/Linea if they see a Palio standing next to them in the showrooms!
Very true.....They are only . Better to seal the bad memories and start afresh (yet again!!).
Old 12th September 2007, 17:43   #399
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately, model wise sales are not available with SIAM. You can only infer. For example, Honda only has City in 4001-4500 mm segment, and GM only has Tavera in the UV segment. However, MUL has many cars in the 3401-4000 mm segment-Alto, Zen, Wagon R, Swift Petrol, and Swift Diesel, so no official SIAM figures are available. Only source for such data is manufacturer's website (if they give such a breakup) or auto mags.

So, Grand Vitara is what? MUV <7 seats???

BTW, in both MUV segments, Maruti did 238 last month! some typo or coinsidence....
Old 13th September 2007, 21:26   #400
BHPian

Quote:
That's a bummer, because it would be good to see sales of individual models - Laura DSG Vs Manual, Indigo DiCor Vs TDi, etc. I don't see these figures in the Auto Mags.
Old 17th September 2007, 13:08   #401
Senior - BHPian

Aveo?

Any own knows about Aveo's (True) sales figure? Especially after the modifications?
Any one tested Aveo NEW along with Fiesta, Verna, SX4 and City?

Thanks.
Old 17th September 2007, 16:56   #402
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
The Palios future is sealed.

I think this is a good strategy from FIAT, as till the time they launch Punto their service network needs to be finetuned, their manpower needs to get trained on how to handle FIAT vehicles. I think once they launch PUNTO they will stop selling Palios.
If they stop PALIO now & their dealers network and their manpower will be idle, which will kill FIAT forever.
I think this is the reason why they kept the target of 3000nos for 2007-08 and they are on target to achieve that(1800 till date). They will try to give better service to the limited palio owners get the confidence back & launch the PUNTO.
This will be a fantastic comeback from FIAT. Good luck to them..
Old 19th September 2007, 12:03   #403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
So, Grand Vitara is what? MUV <7 seats???

BTW, in both MUV segments, Maruti did 238 last month! some typo or coinsidence....
Yeah MUL in a statement made it very clear that Grand Vitara is a MUV and not a SUV. God knows why...
Old 19th September 2007, 22:06   #404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
Any own knows about Aveo's (True) sales figure? Especially after the modifications?
Any one tested Aveo NEW along with Fiesta, Verna, SX4 and City?

Thanks.

Aveo have definately increased sales no doubt, Good package with improved version makes it VFM car i can see more aveos on road, figure wise no idea as of now.
Old 19th September 2007, 23:30   #405
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
If they stop PALIO now & their dealers network and their manpower will be idle, which will kill FIAT forever.
They dont have dealers and manpower. TATA takes care of that side now.

IMO, the brand FIAT needs a fresh start. Grande Punto can do that, coupled with TATA service. But customers have to learn to distance it from other FIAT cars of the past!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed