Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2007, 14:27   #451
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Another thing: with the dollar going lower, should not CBU imports be cheaper for the manufacturer. This would include Camry, Prado, Superb, MB, BMW, etc. Prices of these cars should go down by at least 7-8% if not more.
Wishful thinking ! When was the last time you heard manufacturers extending a cost benefit to customers?
Old 10th October 2007, 14:36   #452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
I've always felt that we should have DIRECT access to SIAM submissions - what say GTO?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Done. I can assure you of my best efforts in procuring that information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Any movement on this, GTO?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Negotiations in order, sport.
Updates? .
Old 10th October 2007, 14:38   #453
Senior - BHPian

Till such time you finally get it for sharing on a public site, you can PM me for all the SIAM data. The excel sheet is based on SIAM figures only.
Old 10th October 2007, 16:34   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- Verna outsells Fiesta by a 100 cars! How did they manage a 20% jump compared to August?
I think the Ford figures for the mid sized car includes Fiesta, Ikon Flair and Fusion Petrol and that of Hyundai includes Accent GLE and Verna.

So its really difficult to tell from these figures whether verna is ahead of fiesta or not.

2nd observation is that none of the GM cars is doing well. I mean 2631for (spark and UVA) combined is very very less for that segement. Aveo is going down day by day...GM is doing very agressive marketing by offering heavy cash discounts, maintencne plans, free accessories etc but its still not able to sell its product in good numbers. They must be wondering what should they do to sell their cars in india...
Old 10th October 2007, 16:45   #455
Senior - BHPian

They must be wondering what should they do to sell their cars in india...[/quote]

Or anywhere for that matter without offering some of the highest discounts in the industry. For one, make cars that do not just look better, but also run better, for a longer time, and at a lower cost than its Japanese rivals. Looks have rarely mattered in this industry, and Giguliaro (Pininfarina or whatever) also designed the DeLorean car.
Old 10th October 2007, 16:50   #456
BHPian

yes vasudeva, cant agree more with you on this. Instead of concentrating on discounts and freebies to sell their cars, GM should concentrate more on making better cars in terms of drivability and reliability but unfortunately thats doesnt seems to be there on their agenda.A very simple example is their gear problem. this gear issue is there on each and every model(i am not sure abt magnum diesel) they have launced in india, and they are still not able to resolve this...strange!!!!!!!
Old 10th October 2007, 16:55   #457
BANNED

They must wait till people get over their Opel hangover
They must release cars that stand out from the competition. For instance, I can't recall a single USP of Aveo, except that Saif Ali Khan was in the ad, along with Rani.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom2_ash View Post
GM is doing very agressive marketing by offering heavy cash discounts, maintencne plans, free accessories etc but its still not able to sell its product in good numbers. They must be wondering what should they do to sell their cars in india...
Old 10th October 2007, 16:56   #458
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Updates? .
Dunno. A BHPian had PMed me with the details, it required some paid subscribtion to SIAM. No problem but I havent heard back since!
Old 10th October 2007, 17:02   #459
Senior - BHPian

How stats can lie for Sep 07 (excl. Fiat which can hardly put in a spin considering its state):

Overall sales up 9.7% over Sep 06, and 6.1% over Aug 07. These 2 months are relevant since they show year on year and month on month growth.
1. GM: overall sales up 64% over Sep. 06. But they are down 1.1% on August 07.
2. BMW: 727% increase over Sep. 06. But 59% over Aug 07.
3. Honda: 5.3% decline over Sep. 06. But +ve is 16.3% increase over Aug 07.
4. Skoda: no sales growth over Aug 07. But 28.6% decline over Sep 06.
5. Toyota: 5.9% increase over Sep 06. But 11% up over Aug 07.
6. Ford: 8.3% up over Aug 07, but 16.6% decline over Sep 06.
7. Maruti: 11.4% up over Sep 06, but 4.7% up for Aug 07.
8. M&M: 38.6% up over Sep 06, but 7.1% up over Aug 07.
Old 10th October 2007, 17:13   #460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom2_ash View Post
yes vasudeva, cant agree more with you on this. Instead of concentrating on discounts and freebies to sell their cars, GM should concentrate more on making better cars in terms of drivability and reliability but unfortunately thats doesnt seems to be there on their agenda.A very simple example is their gear problem. this gear issue is there on each and every model(i am not sure abt magnum diesel) they have launced in india, and they are still not able to resolve this...strange!!!!!!!
A lot is not relevant to this thread, but having owned both MUL and GM cars for 12 yrs, I can say that both gave approx the same headaches, with some parts replacement (mechanical in Maruti, and electrical in GM). Yet, MUL is given a second chance, and GM's world reputation follows it. I cannot say that MUL is better than GM in car quality, perhaps in service network, quality and ease (but that may not be an issue in metros and A category towns).

Perhaps when MUL came, it was `a Jap' car (Japs were ruling the world in the 1980s, remember Clyde Prestowitz and Rising Sun) competing with 3 decade old cars (analogy: Qualis vs Sumo/Armada). Reality: MUL has a perception of a `Jap' car without its super quality. That also explains that some MUL models has not cut it against the models of the real `Japs'.
Old 10th October 2007, 17:20   #461
Senior - BHPian

[quote=diabloo;590777]They must wait till people get over their Opel hangover

That hangover may have damaged them more in the Indian market. Of course they could make some money by selling European seconds. Of course compared with MUL's esteem, Opel Corsa drives well, is comfortable, and does not give a backache. I am willing to live with some problems (since I now have it and have no choice), but most are not. Most people trust MUL even though it has largely followed the same Opel strategy of seconds and selling cars made out of `out of production Jap molds' . The difference is `ersatz Jap' versus `ersatz European'.
Old 10th October 2007, 21:40   #462
Distinguished - BHPian

Ford v/s hyundai battle is still on with very little differences in the sales as can be seen. The fiesta is giving tough competition to the Verna even though its older and underpowered. Waiting to see what happens when the 1.6L Diesel engine is launched.
I get the feeling that hyundai seems to be selling more Getz.
Old 11th October 2007, 10:14   #463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
A lot is not relevant to this thread, but having owned both MUL and GM cars for 12 yrs, I can say that both gave approx the same headaches, with some parts replacement (mechanical in Maruti, and electrical in GM). Yet, MUL is given a second chance, and GM's world reputation follows it. I cannot say that MUL is better than GM in car quality, perhaps in service network, quality and ease (but that may not be an issue in metros and A category towns).

Perhaps when MUL came, it was `a Jap' car (Japs were ruling the world in the 1980s, remember Clyde Prestowitz and Rising Sun) competing with 3 decade old cars (analogy: Qualis vs Sumo/Armada). Reality: MUL has a perception of a `Jap' car without its super quality. That also explains that some MUL models has not cut it against the models of the real `Japs'.
Another aspect would be the sheer lower costs of the MUL spares.

@lamborghini - As pointed out above the numbers for Hyundai are verna + accent numbers but then I do not believe that Hyundai would be telling too many Accents these days and I have observed a rather steep rise in the number of Vernas that i see around here in NCR.

The strange thing in the figures posted above are the rise in the numbers for Toyota. The rise 7.7% has to be driven by the Corolla as the Camry is too steeply priced to drive that kind of growth. Wonder why given that teh Corolla is due to be replaced next year. Are there loads of discounts etc being offered or what?
Old 11th October 2007, 10:16   #464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Remember that Sep 07 is a depreciation month and models generally sell higher compared with Aug 07.
Uh oh! Excuse my ignorance but what is this and how does it affect the sales of cars?
Old 11th October 2007, 12:34   #465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreak View Post
Uh oh! Excuse my ignorance but what is this and how does it affect the sales of cars?
As per the Income Tax Act, 1961, corporates can claim full year depreciation for cars purchased upto 30-9-07, and half year depreciation for cars purchased upto 31-3-07. Any experts, please correct me if I am wrong here.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks