Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2008, 19:18   #721
bkm
BHPian

"General Motors India has registered a robust growth of 46 % in sales in January 2008 as compared to the corresponding period last year. It sold 5517 units in January 2008 as against 3776 units in January last year. The January 2008 sales comprise of 1391 units of Chevrolet Tavera, 1174 units of Chevrolet Aveo, 217 units of Chevrolet Optra, 2639 units of Chevrolet Spark and 96 units of the recently launched Chevrolet Captiva."
SPARK SALE HAS BEEN IMPRESSIVE IN jAN,08
Old 10th February 2008, 08:50   #722
BANNED

All these cars will take them from A to B without breaking down. Performance between these cars are almost even. Though NHC gives the best mileage, its not only for mileage its the best seller. There are other factors such as radical looks, low cost of ownership, service support, efficient use of space, best-in-class comfort, perfect city drive, good highway drive and what more?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
They want a car which will take them from A to B spending a minimal amount of fuel, in reasonable comfort and without breaking down.They don't care too hoots about whether it will understeer, oversteer or overturn when they take a turn a 100kmph, nor do they care whether their car will will the 1.3L stock saloon racing car challenge.
However if the car meets the mileage challenge, they will buy it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
NHC-------------5,801
Accent+Verna----3,156*
SX4+Esteem------2,939
Indigo------------2,901*
Logan------------2,301*
Fiesta------------2,047*
Cedia+Ambassador--947*
Aveo---------------389
* includes diesel variants
Old 10th February 2008, 10:39   #723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
radical looks
While looks are subjective, majority aren't fans of the NHC's looks.

Quote:
service support
Lots of complains about Honda dealers mainly about their high handedness. Search the forum.

Quote:
good highway drive
Most experts (auto mags) are of the unanimous opinion that the NHC struggles on the highway.

The sales figures of NHC are fabulous no doubt but there is a huge jump in January. The average sales was about 3K units and suddenly it's jumped to almost 6K. Question is will these sales figures sustain month after month? Getting excited about just one month's sales isn't doing any good to anyone.

As for the SX4, I think the figures this month are only of SX4 and therefore the slight decline. What this means is that Esteem was selling a very impressive 1000-1200 units every month. If thats true, then SX4 never really challenged the NHC. It was Esteem sales that gave the feeling to us that SX4 was outselling the NHC.

But, whats surprising are the sales of Fiesta and Verna. Even with the diesel advantage, these cars are struggling against the petrol only NHC and SX4. This is what amazes me.
Old 10th February 2008, 10:54   #724
BANNED

What is expected of a good highway car? 0-100, 40-100, 80-120? Please me know the experts requirement & criteria .
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Most experts (auto mags) are of the unanimous opinion that the NHC struggles on the highway.
This proves a good overall package can beat the fuel advantage (advantage due to Govt of India). Wonder what would have happened if both petrol & diesel cost the same !
Quote:
But, whats surprising are the sales of Fiesta and Verna. Even with the diesel advantage, these cars are struggling against the petrol only NHC and SX4. This is what amazes me.
Old 12th February 2008, 15:16   #725
BHPian

Ride VS Handling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post
the new C-Class seems to be working!
My take on it is that customers in the Executive class tend to buy cars because they are
1. Status Symbol
2. Chauffeur driven
3. Comfortable ride

The BEEMER scores aces in the first two points but when it comes to long drives its not as comfortable as the Merc. This I believe is true for the 5 series and the E-Class as well. Mercedes remains the benchmark car for ride quality where as the BMW is in its own league when it comes to handling.
Old 12th February 2008, 16:57   #726
BHPian

whats the source of these figures ?- they seem to pretty detailed- is there also a state/city wise list of sales
Old 13th February 2008, 00:25   #727
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There are other factors such as radical looks, low cost of ownership, service support, efficient use of space, best-in-class comfort, perfect city drive, good highway drive and what more?
Amazing numbers Honda city has done!

While i dont agree with radical looks, service support and highway drive part, i feel the biggest factor is the Honda badging! 'Honda' as a badge stands way above 'Maruti Suzuki'
Old 13th February 2008, 15:36   #728
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Amazing numbers Honda city has done!

While i dont agree with radical looks, service support and highway drive part, i feel the biggest factor is the Honda badging! 'Honda' as a badge stands way above 'Maruti Suzuki'
You are forgetting the FE and reliability part.

NHC is the most fuel efficient petrol car in India (with the exception of some A segment Marutis that have only half the power and no boot) and comes with an automatic option!

Not a single instance of repairs or part replacement in my 3.5 years/55000 KM of ownership. Not even brake pads!!! And I am not a slow dirver.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 13th February 2008 at 15:40.
Old 13th February 2008, 16:06   #729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Not a single instance of repairs or part replacement in my 3.5 years/55000 KM of ownership. Not even brake pads!!! And I am not a slow dirver.
I think you've just been lucky. There are some stories out there -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...onda-woes.html

Besides, I just noticed that there are very very few NHC ownership reviews on this forum - I wonder why? It would benefit all if there were some detailed reviews rather than one line assertions. I notice that the Vtec owners are more willing to share on a regular basis & I've seen the one odd CVT report but not much other than that.

I'm not surprised about the brake pads though - my Fiesta 1.6 has completed almost 51k kms without a brake pad change necessitated, I think they may change them this time around.
Old 13th February 2008, 16:15   #730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I'm not surprised about the brake pads though - my Fiesta 1.6 has completed almost 51k kms without a brake pad change necessitated, I think they may change them this time around.
My Palio S10 went almost 60K without the need to change brake pads. Braking still felt crisp but I still asked for a change.
Old 13th February 2008, 16:21   #731
BANNED

There is nothing to write about. It does its job diligently, moving from point A to point B. Even if there is a single issue, the owners would come & scream here.
Quote:
Besides, I just noticed that there are very very few NHC ownership reviews on this forum - I wonder why?
Old 13th February 2008, 16:48   #732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is nothing to write about. It does its job diligently, moving from point A to point B. Even if there is a single issue, the owners would come & scream here.
Lol, you've popped up again! That's the second time today, I think you are following me around.

If people used your logic, the LTOR section would probably be 50% less in volume compared to what it is today.

You own a NHC? I would never have guessed.
Old 13th February 2008, 17:02   #733
BANNED

Are you a 16 something good looking gal, so that guys like me follow you around ?
Quote:
Lol, you've popped up again! That's the second time today, I think you are following me around.
Wish I could. But I am a self appointed NHC evangelist cheers:
Quote:
You own a NHC? I would never have guessed.
I ask my friends to write.
Quote:
If people used your logic, the LTOR section would probably be 50% less in volume compared to what it is today.
Old 13th February 2008, 17:04   #734
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think you've just been lucky. There are some stories out there -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...onda-woes.html

Besides, I just noticed that there are very very few NHC ownership reviews on this forum - I wonder why? It would benefit all if there were some detailed reviews rather than one line assertions. I notice that the Vtec owners are more willing to share on a regular basis & I've seen the one odd CVT report but not much other than that.

Point taken. Review coming soon.

I saw many posts asking the owners to post a long term ownership report only when the ownership hasbeen really long...so I held on...

Yes, brake pads life is not extra-ordinary as per my original thinking...but saw many posts here (including GTO's) that those were "happily" replaced at around 30,000 KM!!! So if these guys are happy, I should be happier :-)
Old 13th February 2008, 17:09   #735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is nothing to write about.
Quote:
I ask my friends to write.
.....?

Quote:
But I am a self appointed NHC evangelist cheers:
Ahh, a person with a lot of theoretical & utopian knowledge but no practical experience. OK, that explains a lot of things..............

OFF TOPIC:
Quote:
Are you a 16 something good looking gal, so that guys like me follow you around ?
A cradle snatcher Lol!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks