Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2008, 20:16   #796
BHPian

If SX4 is not worth for 8 Lakhs, then Honda City is sure not worth for 8+ lakhs having an 1.3 Engine, because of this reason it gives 2-3 km more than SX4. Honda city can be used only to travel from Point A to Point B when comparing to SX4.
Old 7th March 2008, 20:37   #797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
If SX4 is not worth for 8 Lakhs, then Honda City is sure not worth for 8+ lakhs having an 1.3 Engine, because of this reason it gives 2-3 km more than SX4. Honda city can be used only to travel from Point A to Point B when comparing to SX4.
Quote:
NHC is more of a practical car & its surely got awesome interiors . SX4 interiors is ok. i personally think its not great for a car with 8L price.
Its true Honda s brand name is main reason why it sells. We cant expect
amazing pickup in a 77bhp hood.
I think, he meant NHC was not worth 8 lacs.. BTW, NHC (both iDSi and VTEC) have 1.5 L engine.. its just the bhp that is different. The iDSi is also quite peppy..

Last edited by iTNerd : 7th March 2008 at 20:40.
Old 8th March 2008, 10:35   #798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gopi i said SX4 interiors are not upto the notch for the 8 l bracket . I know you own a SX4 but few of my friends own a SX4 and they were complaining that interior trim quality is not upto the mark.
Old 9th March 2008, 20:04   #799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Gopi i said SX4 interiors are not upto the notch for the 8 l bracket . I know you own a SX4 but few of my friends own a SX4 and they were complaining that interior trim quality is not upto the mark.
Even I agree with that, Honda is best in interior quality. Does it mean the interior is not good means the car is not worth for. When spending 8 lakhs on the car, we would have taken all the considerations. Honda city might gain points here but loses points elsewhere. Honda customers gives that premium amount for the inteior quality, additional mileage. If the NHC is available for 6.5 Lakhs I would have gone for that car.
Old 9th March 2008, 21:52   #800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even I agree with that, Honda is best in interior quality. Does it mean the interior is not good means the car is not worth for. When spending 8 lakhs on the car, we would have taken all the considerations. Honda city might gain points here but loses points elsewhere. Honda customers gives that premium amount for the inteior quality, additional mileage. If the NHC is available for 6.5 Lakhs I would have gone for that car.
Dude you got a point. But when a person is shelling out 8 lacs he will surely look at the interior trim levels as one of the factor. SX4 is a good car no doubt. There is no chance Honda will ever price its cars at competitive prices( like you said 6.5 l). Honda knows because of their Brand Image Indian Consumers will buy their vehicle. But obviously they have a reputation of producing awesome cars. SX4 has its points and so does NHC. So i feel it differs from consumer to consumer.
Old 10th March 2008, 12:39   #801
Senior - BHPian

February 2008 sales data

Just posted Feb 2008 domestic car sales data here:

vasudeva - DOMESTIC SALES

Key points:
1. Sales declined 14.5% over 1/08 (obvious because of budget) but increased only 7.8% over 2/07.
2. Year on year (yoy) basis comparison more relevant. High Yoy growth for BMW, Merc, GM, Skoda, Toyota. Declines for Ford, HM. Shocking low growth of 0.4% for Maruti.
3. Recent successes: Logan, Merc C.
4. Difficult to compare 2/08 with 1/08 and judge success since 2/08 is an odd month.
5. City is still creaming SX4.
6. No Accord production in 2/08 so definitely new one should be out soon.
7. Corolla still being produced at 518 in 2/08. However, the number is high given its sales, and so perhaps production could be phased down soon.
8. Look at huge gains for BMW and Merc.
9. Fabia not a success by any measure.
Old 10th March 2008, 13:27   #802
BHPian

Quote:
Shocking low growth of 0.4% for Maruti.
Hmm, without SX4, would Maruti have gone down in YOY sales?

Also, seems like the "reality" is getting on with SX4 - the honeymoon period is probably over. We need to still wait and see if these numbers (close to 2K per month) will hold up over a few months.
Old 10th March 2008, 13:29   #803
Team-BHP Support

I think a lot of this slow growth can be attributed to the crashing stock market which has left the middle class in a lurch.
Old 10th March 2008, 13:31   #804
BHPian

Quote:
Well, if NHC is priced at 6.5 lacs (let us consider hypothetically that it happens), and if that is at the cost of compromising on interiors and plastic quality, would that be acceptable to prospective Honda owners? No, would be my emphatic answer. With SX4 though, I am sorry saying this, Maruti is very much seen as a VFM brand, so the compromise in interior quality and rear seat comfort are considered "OK" if not acceptable.
Old 10th March 2008, 13:32   #805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I think a lot of this slow growth can be attributed to the crashing stock market which has left the middle class in a lurch.
OT: Yeah, the bottom is still not hit, it seems like.
Old 10th March 2008, 15:43   #806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Just posted Feb 2008 domestic car sales data here:

vasudeva - DOMESTIC SALES

Key points:
1. Sales declined 14.5% over 1/08 (obvious because of budget) but increased only 7.8% over 2/07.
2. Year on year (yoy) basis comparison more relevant. High Yoy growth for BMW, Merc, GM, Skoda, Toyota. Declines for Ford, HM. Shocking low growth of 0.4% for Maruti.
3. Recent successes: Logan, Merc C.
4. Difficult to compare 2/08 with 1/08 and judge success since 2/08 is an odd month.
6. No Accord production in 2/08 so definitely new one should be out soon.
7. Corolla still being produced at 518 in 2/08. However, the number is high given its sales, and so perhaps production could be phased down soon.
8. Look at huge gains for BMW and Merc.
9. Fabia not a success by any measure.

Vasudeva,

Any information on Hyundai i10.Did it manage to edge out Spark?
Old 10th March 2008, 16:34   #807
Senior - BHPian

Did anyone notice:

Fiat sales are UP 57.5% YOY!!

Skoda Fabia is declining every month.

Executive segment Hyundai sales (Sonata?) are at ZERO units. Even with a diesel variant in the line up.

Which Hyundai model is in the premium segment? Tucson? 27 units were sold. Which car/SUV is this?

In compact segment, Hyundai sold 21xxx units in Jan which is down to 11xxx units in Feb! Are both Santro and i10 struggling?

Mercedes C class is 'driving' all over the BMW 3 but the BMW 5 is doing the same to Mercedes E. No information about Audi.

Last edited by amit : 10th March 2008 at 16:35.
Old 10th March 2008, 18:26   #808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Mercedes C class is 'driving' all over the BMW 3
yeah, high time for BMW to bring in manual transmission beemers.
Old 10th March 2008, 19:19   #809
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbabu
Maruti is very much seen as a VFM brand, so the compromise in interior quality and rear seat comfort are considered "OK" if not acceptable.
Must be the same way that Honda City buyers seem to consider it OK & acceptable that Honda does not give a damn about their lives (by not giving ABS/Airbags in cars costing 8L), while even VFM Maruti puts them in their hatches and sedans.

From the sales figures, the SX4 initially showed promise, but figures seem to be coming down. I think one of the reasons could be MUL's discontinuing the Esteem (whose figures are bunched with the SX4) and another could be the delivery delays for SX4. I am sure most people would not want to wait for weeks to get a car and might go to the competition.
Old 10th March 2008, 21:57   #810
Senior - BHPian

Yup Honda was kinda having its monopoly with the City until SX4 came.
At around 8-8.5l on road for the GXi, they should offer ABS standard & Airbags atleast as an option. One of Maruti dealers was telling me that SX4 is not doing as well as last few months as the mileage is not more than 10kmpl
and few people waiting for its diesel version.SX4 owners any comments on the mileage part?? If Honda offer ABS as standard in its next Gen City then it will surely price it higher.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks