Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2008, 12:00   #1126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Whats with HP, Bihar & Jharkhand? These are the only places, in whole of India where NHC sells less than SX4.
ROTF!!

Rustic people..prefer genuine, hunky, practical and VFM cars. No showbazi, only Go bazi u see!

Lol!!..just kidding Diabloo!

ELito
Old 23rd July 2008, 12:09   #1127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Whats with HP, Bihar & Jharkhand? These are the only places, in whole of India where NHC sells less than SX4.
Not sure about HP, but for Bihar and Jharkhand, GC must be a big factor considering the road (or lack of it) condition there ! And SX4 beats even a truck in this dept and NHC will be struggling to get its tyre touching the surface . You can also see that Bihar almost tops when it comes to the sales of Bolero and Sumo.

Last edited by appuchan : 23rd July 2008 at 12:17.
Old 23rd July 2008, 12:11   #1128
oss
BHPian

Hi Pulsar,
Can you include the figures for Cedia, Palio Stile and the A-segment cars as well.
Cheers,
Old 23rd July 2008, 15:37   #1129
BHPian

My two cents for Toyota, Honda & may be the mahindra (logan) why dont you look at the B2 segment, Swift 53 K, Getz 5K, Fabia 4k, Aveo UVA 4k. All of you have vehicles in this segment why dont you introduce one and grab some market share from Swift.

Guys do you feel that some of the employees of these companies are on our forum, I hope they are and do something about it.
Old 23rd July 2008, 16:06   #1130
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Wow! Thanks for the model-wise chart, Pulsar.

- The i10 has registered a 25% lead over the Santro. Shows that Indians do not buy only on price. Value is the key word here, and we are willing to pay a premium for a modern superior product. On the other hand, the Estilo is one of the rare mistakes by MUL. It does register okayish numbers, but nowhere near the potential volumes that Marutis marketing / distribution muscle can pull.

- The Sparks report card shows disappointing figures; not surprising since its GM that has ruined the potential of an otherwise competent hatchback.

- Hyundai’s Getz is a royal flop. Again, due to Hyundai’s over-optimistic attitude rather than a fault with the product itself. It’s more comfortable, better built and far more spacious than the Swift. But for every Getz that Hyundai sells, 7.5 Swifts roll out of the showroom floor.

- Swift is king of the BII segment while the WagonR is emperor of the B1. No one comes close. Their success is untouchable. Period.

- The Fabia continues as the flop it deserves to be, thanks to the pricing & engine range. It is the worst selling hatch in the country, save for the Palio. However, the MJD can be single-handedly responsible for the Palio overtaking the Fabia in the near future.

- The Indigos innings have been dented by the Swift Dzire. I am surprised to see that the CS has not made as much of a difference as I’d expected. Still, respectable numbers but a model change is desperately needed. Long in the tooth?

- From its direct competition (Indigo, Dzire), the Logan loses out.

- Nothing touches the Honda City, whether its cars from the same price, or even most from a slab below. Only the Dzire & the substantially cheaper Indigo outsell the City in the 5 – 8 lakh segment.

- The Ikon and Fusion are crawling along with barely 200 – 300 cars per month. Good backseat and sharp chassis notwithstanding, the Ikon is finished. I don’t think the facelift is going to help too much, unless it comes with the 1.4 diesel, cut pricing and a better ownership experience. Its old competitor, the Accent, outsells the Ikon 4:1.

- As stated previously, the Verna enjoys its newly found favour with customers. Not only is it outselling the Fiesta, but I see smarter pricing further tilting the balance in its favour.

- The Corolla, Octavia & Optra, all shuffle anywhere around the 400 cars / month figure. The real disruptor here has been the Civic, from a segment above, with 1 1300 monthly average. The recently launched economy variant will only take the Civics cause further up.

- Chevy sold 78 SRVs so far in 2008

- Write the Endeavour off at your own risk. Not only does it outsell the popular CRV, but it also takes the mantle of the best selling non-desi (Safari, Scorpio) SUV in India. And you thought Indians care about ride quality!

- I gotta admit, the Captiva has had a pretty decent jump of the start line. If it continues with the same performance, GM has a winner on its hands.

- The old-school Pajero must be making HM some decent money @ 910 units sold so far in 2008. I am also surprised to see 142 Monteros in that list. Always thought it sold much lesser than that. Still, it’s not a patch on the kind of numbers that sedans from the same price range enjoy.

- We all know that the Bolero is the best selling people mover in the country. But watch out for the phenomenal Innova. It will take just one shot in the arm for Toyota to outsell the Bolero; heck it’s only a 13% difference between the Bolero & the Innova. Remember that the Bolero is far cheaper, and Mahindra has a wider distribution network.

@ Pulsar : Where are the D Segmenters in your chart? Accord? Laura? Camry? And the German luxobarges?
Old 23rd July 2008, 16:23   #1131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
the Ikon is finished. I don’t think the facelift is going to help too much, unless it comes with the 1.4 diesel, cut pricing and a better ownership experience. Its old competitor, the Accent, outsells the Ikon 4:1.
I think Ikon badly needs a facelift ! Improved interiors & 1.4TDCI will surely help in improving it sales.

OT : Any idea if Ikon would get the 1.4 P that was doing duty in Fiesta sometime back.
Old 24th July 2008, 09:32   #1132
Senior - BHPian

One of the reason for SX4 outselling the City in Bihar and Jharkhand could be the better MSIL after sales network ( compared to Honda). One possibillity could also be the fatthat MSIl cars are equipped with ICat making them difficul to steal. One of my friends who lives in Vaishali ( ghaziabad) bought a new honda city last thursday, spent 40 k on upholstery and accessories , and the car was stolen on Sundaynight/monday morning from right outside his house. He had installed a gear lock and was cursing Honda for not providing an immobilizer in the car . The bloke will lose Rs1.5 lacs for a car he had with him for 4 days and driven only 330 KM.

Needless to say, his first priority in a new car will be a good theft deterrant/immobilizer system.
Old 24th July 2008, 09:39   #1133
BANNED

Looks like somebody had one more set of keys. I can't see why this can't happen with SX4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
One of my friends who lives in Vaishali ( ghaziabad) bought a new honda city last thursday, spent 40 k on upholstery and accessories , and the car was stolen on Sundaynight/monday morning from right outside his house. He had installed a gear lock and was cursing Honda for not providing an immobilizer in the car.
Old 24th July 2008, 09:50   #1134
Senior - BHPian

You would be able to see it, if only you cared to look beyond the NHC. LOL.

It can't happen with the SX4 because you can't duplicate the keys of an i-Cats enabled car like you would do for the NHC. While your NHC keys can be duplicated by the neighborhood key maker, its not possible for SX4. So to steal an SX4, a thief would need to have either one of the 2 keys that originally came with the car.
Old 24th July 2008, 11:26   #1135
BHPian

well said. Maruti should be appreciated that it has provided iCats in all cars even in maruti 800.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
You would be able to see it, if only you cared to look beyond the NHC. LOL.

It can't happen with the SX4 because you can't duplicate the keys of an i-Cats enabled car like you would do for the NHC. While your NHC keys can be duplicated by the neighborhood key maker, its not possible for SX4. So to steal an SX4, a thief would need to have either one of the 2 keys that originally came with the car.
Old 24th July 2008, 11:35   #1136
BHPian

Quote:
- The Fabia continues as the flop it deserves to be, thanks to the pricing & engine range.
On the other hand, there is an interview with Skoda India CEO (?) in Autocar India August edition where he claims, Fabia a huge success. On what grounds, I dont know. :(
Old 24th July 2008, 11:38   #1137
Senior - BHPian

I drive a SX4 and i'm not complaining, but there has to be a level playing field for all manufacturers. The monopoly that Maruti is enjoying is unfair as more than half of their products are outdated and low-grade.The Swift only looks good. It feels underpowered and lumpen in one's hands. Other than the Swift and SX4, the rest of the line-up is not worth a mention. Time for other manufacturers to step up and fight the Maruti hegemony on Indian roads.
Old 24th July 2008, 11:43   #1138
BANNED

. Just few more months for Nano, then can say goodbye to below par stuff !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
Time for other manufacturers to step up and fight the Maruti hegemony on Indian roads.
Old 24th July 2008, 12:24   #1139
BHPian

Quote:

- While the WagonR is emperor of the B1. No one comes close. -
Agreed, but i10 and Indica figures do indicate they are somewhere in the ballpark. Also (i10 plus Santro) Sales > (Wagon R plus Zen estilo) Sales. Has Hyundai stolen a march over MUL in B1?
The total sales of small sedans (as well as MUV) is higher than the total sales in B2 segment. With a number of hatchbacks planned in the near future, I am wondering what the fuss will be for a smaller pie? May be, I am wrong and the B2 pie will increase.
Old 24th July 2008, 12:29   #1140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
I drive a SX4 and i'm not complaining, but there has to be a level playing field for all manufacturers. The monopoly that Maruti is enjoying is unfair as more than half of their products are outdated and low-grade.The Swift only looks good. It feels underpowered and lumpen in one's hands. Other than the Swift and SX4, the rest of the line-up is not worth a mention. Time for other manufacturers to step up and fight the Maruti hegemony on Indian roads.
Before Maruti was a monopoly who had major shares. I don't think now it's the same thing. Hyundai definitely has most of the shares next to Maruti, it was because of its A.S.S and quality which had made customer to go to them. Similarly all the other companies should improve the A.S.S.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks