Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2011, 21:54   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Why do diesel engine variants get step-motherly treatment from manufacturers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prmd_cochin View Post
One thing thats notable here is that the one's that differentiate between petrol and diesel gets their diesel engine outsourced while the one's treating both equal have their own diesel engines.
That maybe the reason why they are forced to offer less kit for the diesel variants. Just to remain competitive with the price they pay for the engines.
Old 7th February 2011, 19:28   #122
BHPian

Re: Why do diesel engine variants get step-motherly treatment from manufacturers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
With the Skoda Laura it's exactly opposite. The 1.8 TSi is devoid of all feature comforts and comes in just one base variant. While the 2.0TDI gets auto transmission and what not!
TSI engines are very advanced and it is no way less complex than the TDI. So with same level of equipment its price can overshoot the TDI price
Old 25th February 2011, 16:06   #123
BHPian

Swift Zdi 2011 wanted!

Sorry for my late contribution, but I have a story to share: about a year back, we were in the petrol vs. diesel dilemma when we wanted a car for our city use to replace our aging Wagon R.

Taking the fact into consideration that it was to be used in the city, still our usage was high and demanded a diesel. Among all cars we found the newly launched Ritz to suit our requirement best. We inquired about the diesel and we were shocked to find out that the Zdi trim was not available! Meaning that if we wanted safety (Read: Airbags) and the other goodies we could not have them! Why? Because we chose a diesel! For me safety is prime concern so irrespective of running costs I went for the Ritz Zxi (petrol). Now I do face higher running costs but I stay assured that I am safe while driving the vehicle. That said the case was closed for the Ritz.

Come today I am in the market for another Fun to drive car, and the awaiting launch Swift 2011 that appealed the most to me, I was 100% sure that the new swift was the car for me!

But wait! What if Maruti were to not introduce the Zdi again! No airbags for the diesel! This is when I found the FIGO. The Figo top model is priced lesser than the Swift Vdi and is equally fun to drive, Also I cited that even if Maruti launches the Swift 2011 Zdi, it cannot match the Figo on the Pricing front!

That was it! For me, fords attitude to make safety a feature and not a luxury pulled me towards the Figo! According to plan NO Zdi will come to india, if it does, GOOD for Maruti.

Till then, for me the Figo is the way to go! Still if Suzuki decides to offer the Zdi I would not mind paying for it. Also I think many would agree with me on this front.

So Maruti if you are listening please bring the Swift Zdi.
Old 25th February 2011, 19:48   #124
J.Ravi

I bumped into this ineresting thread just now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I reiterate : Full marks to the Europeans (Fiat, Ford, VW, Skoda etc.) for selling their diesel & petrol products in the exact same trim. Safety kit included.
In case of Fiat Linea Emotion variant, Fiat India Automobiles Ltd. have made 15" alloy wheels standard on petrol version, while making them optional for the diesel version. But, in all other variants, both the petrol and diesel versions share the same trim and safety kits.

Old 25th February 2011, 21:56   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I bumped into this ineresting thread just now.

In case of Fiat Linea Emotion variant, Fiat India Automobiles Ltd. have made 15" alloy wheels standard on petrol version, while making them optional for the diesel version. But, in all other variants, both the petrol and diesel versions share the same trim and safety kits.
But prices differ too.
In petrol, the Emotion variant costs around 65k more than the Dynamic,
while diesel Emotion costs only 45k more.
The price difference of 20k is still only half of the 40k the set of alloys cost if bought separately, though.
Old 26th February 2011, 02:19   #126
Senior - BHPian

Re: Swift Zdi 2011 wanted!

I had mentioned on another thread, i do take my hat off to ford for launching a vehicle perfectly suited to indian needs. The figo has it all, and ford hasnt skimped on safety either. The figo has literally turned the fortunes of ford india around. From here on in when ford is going to launch something people are going to sit up and take notice. Hats off to them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappex View Post
Sorry for my late contribution, but I have a story to share: about a year back, we were in the petrol vs. diesel dilemma when we wanted a car for our city use to replace our aging Wagon R.

Taking the fact into consideration that it was to be used in the city, still our usage was high and demanded a diesel. Among all cars we found the newly launched Ritz to suit our requirement best. We inquired about the diesel and we were shocked to find out that the Zdi trim was not available! Meaning that if we wanted safety (Read: Airbags) and the other goodies we could not have them! Why? Because we chose a diesel! For me safety is prime concern so irrespective of running costs I went for the Ritz Zxi (petrol). Now I do face higher running costs but I stay assured that I am safe while driving the vehicle. That said the case was closed for the Ritz.

Come today I am in the market for another Fun to drive car, and the awaiting launch Swift 2011 that appealed the most to me, I was 100% sure that the new swift was the car for me!

But wait! What if Maruti were to not introduce the Zdi again! No airbags for the diesel! This is when I found the FIGO. The Figo top model is priced lesser than the Swift Vdi and is equally fun to drive, Also I cited that even if Maruti launches the Swift 2011 Zdi, it cannot match the Figo on the Pricing front!

That was it! For me, fords attitude to make safety a feature and not a luxury pulled me towards the Figo! According to plan NO Zdi will come to india, if it does, GOOD for Maruti.

Till then, for me the Figo is the way to go! Still if Suzuki decides to offer the Zdi I would not mind paying for it. Also I think many would agree with me on this front.

So Maruti if you are listening please bring the Swift Zdi.
Old 26th February 2011, 11:12   #127
BHPian

Re: Swift Zdi 2011 wanted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
I had mentioned on another thread, i do take my hat off to ford for launching a vehicle perfectly suited to indian needs. The figo has it all, and ford hasnt skimped on safety either. The figo has literally turned the fortunes of ford india around. From here on in when ford is going to launch something people are going to sit up and take notice. Hats off to them.
Couldn't agree more, changing the perception of a brand is not an easy thing to do. As you mentioned above ford has got the figo spot on, Lets hope Maruti learns from it.

That said, the new fiesta sure to get a good start.
Old 26th February 2011, 17:04   #128
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I think this is an incorrect assumption.

Airbags and ABS have become necessities nowadays given that our road infra is ever improving and the speeds that are attained by most of the new gen vehicles are really significant.

As it is some of the car manufacturers have subsituted rear drums on their India specification for the original rear discs as per their own Euro specification.

Yes I do agree that there is always a possibility of danger to pedestrians and cyclists etc on our highways but this cannot be blamed on the availability of ABS and Airbags in cars! Ideally all highways should be completely fenced off and kept as completely out of bounds for cyclists, pedestrians and small 2 wheelers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KumaravelS View Post
would equipping Airbags make the driver more complacent and to rev up, thereby endangering others like two wheelers, cycles, pedestrians?
In that sense, airbags would put more life @ risk.. that without
offcourse, we save drivers of cars

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks