Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2011, 18:37   #1
BHPian

Volkswagen Tiguan Spotted

Mod Note: Our Tiguan Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

I spotted this Volkswagen Tiguan on the Delhi-Agra NH. It had red plates which I guess are plates from Nepal(?). I believe the car was being tested(the press stickers), but why the red plates was what left me wondering. The car was along us till Agra. It even stopped at the McDonalds at Mathura but they stopped by when we were pulling out.
P.S.- Mods please move this thread if posted wrongly.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Tiguan Spotted-02012011219.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 22nd September 2017 at 12:40. Reason: Link to review :)
Old 22nd January 2011, 18:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Tiguan Spotted

This is not fair - the vehicle I had waited for so long is coming finally JUST after I get myself a new Pajero !!

That number plate seems to be from Nepal. (I may be wrong though)

The dealerships still say they have no news of it - so wonder if it'd be launched before Diwali or the last quarter of 2011..

Great Find !!

Cheers
Old 22nd January 2011, 18:45   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like a Nepal registered private vehicle. Why would VW get their test vehicle registered in Nepal and test it in India without any disguise?

Last edited by .anshuman : 22nd January 2011 at 18:46.
Old 22nd January 2011, 20:38   #4
BHPian

Ricky 63- I think good you went ahead, the wait seems like an eternity now.

It was our driver who said it was a Nepal registration. Are vehicles from Nepal allowed to ply on Indian roads just like that? I must also add that it was being driven extremely well. Indicators while changing lanes, no overspeeding, sudden brakes and the works; which made me believe all the more that it may be from Nepal considering Indian road manners.
Old 22nd January 2011, 20:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Well for certain, I dont think it is a test car. Could belong to some one from Nepal who decided to come here for a drive.

I really love the Tiguan, and its great road presence. Seen quite a few in Bangalore over the last year
Old 22nd January 2011, 22:36   #6
PPS
Senior - BHPian

This car was supposed to launch early last year but i guess the VW people got too busy with vento and polo! I guess this car will compete with Fortuner, Sante Fe,etc. Maybe those could be temporary plates and the person could be working in the press. What's written below the 2.0 Tsi badge ?
Old 22nd January 2011, 22:52   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
This car was supposed to launch early last year but i guess the VW people got too busy with vento and polo! I guess this car will compete with Fortuner, Sante Fe,etc. Maybe those could be temporary plates and the person could be working in the press. What's written below the 2.0 Tsi badge ?
I guess its a 2.4 TSi. Anyway good that someone didnt wait for this car and went ahead with the Pajero. Looks like two different genres of vehicles - Is Tiguan a 4x4 off roader?

Even if its so, I would not dare to take a VW for offroading. Would rather prefer a Toyota / Pajero for serious [within limits] offroading !

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 22nd January 2011 at 22:53.
Old 22nd January 2011, 23:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

The tiguan is more of a BMW X1-ish gussied up wagon CUV. And its not coming to India anytime soon.
Old 23rd January 2011, 00:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

i've heard its not coming to INdia soon but by seeing the success of BMW X1, i feel VW may change its mind
Old 23rd January 2011, 08:55   #10
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

this will be a good option if it makes it to india
will affect the Yeti, the Aria, the Santa Fe, Fortuner, the Captiva and a host of others including my pet hates the stupid pretentious, over-priced CRV and Outlander. Even the X1 had better keep an eye on their rear view mirrors!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 23rd January 2011 at 08:57.
Old 23rd January 2011, 09:23   #11
Team-BHP Support

VW can't make enough of them, considering realtively low volumes in India, they are not pursuing for now
Old 23rd January 2011, 10:52   #12
BHPian

That IS a Nepali number plate (The "Ba Aa Cha" means Bagmati Aanchal - most probably registered in Kathmandu). It is very easy to bring your car across the border. Not much formality involved except buying a permit for certain days at the border among other things. And the same holds true while driving into Nepal from India.
Old 23rd January 2011, 15:51   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekpsingh View Post
That IS a Nepali number plate (The "Ba Aa Cha" means Bagmati Aanchal - most probably registered in Kathmandu). It is very easy to bring your car across the border. Not much formality involved except buying a permit for certain days at the border among other things. And the same holds true while driving into Nepal from India.
Ohh Ok. This now reminds me that I had read long time back of a Karmapa or some high profile Buddhist monk who escaped from China/Tibet and drove down to New Delhi in a Pajero via the borders of Nepal. No offenses meant to anyone but I used to fantasize about that journey when I was younger.
Old 23rd January 2011, 19:37   #14
Senior - BHPian

The Tiguan looks more butch than the nimble X1. The X1 is definitely a very good buy considering the great price. The Tiguan would hold place in the list of Fortuner, Prado, Mitsu Outlander and the likes. The bad boy SUVs
Closed Thread

Most Viewed