Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2011, 22:30   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: How to renew driving license issued in other state?

Yes, this is possible. My Dad got his TN license renewed in Mysore. The process is tedious as its a government office at the end of the day. They send a letter to the issuing RTO, who in turn have to send back some kind of no objection certificate. This part took forever in my Dad's case, and we had to use some influence at the TN RTO to get things moving. Once that letter comes, then it becomes a regular renewal.
fiat_tarun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2011, 22:47   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

It would be easier to applying for a new license rather than getting it renewed knowing how the RTO works especially when dealing with interstate ones.

Cheers,
Old 25th January 2011, 09:13   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
It would be easier to applying for a new license rather than getting it renewed knowing how the RTO works especially when dealing with interstate ones.

Cheers,
Having two license is illegal and It is not advisable to go to illegal way. We are not criminals. We want to obey laws to the 100% possible even if there are many hurdles.

One more thing if some work is getting delayed beyond stipulated time. You can do following

1. Meet the PRO of RTO and explain the problem to him and register with him.
2. File the RTI application
3. Meet the senior people and explain him problem softly. Do not show your anger there. They will listen and act on you complain. (I do this often and as of now I am successful).

One thing here every one to agree that even government department are most corrupt but they have stringent of process to finish any work and everything should be in order. They have half yearly audit and if it is not there all the blame would come to office-in-charge.
Old 25th January 2011, 09:38   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
I have driving license which was issued by Nagpur RTO in Maharashtra and is due for expiry sometimes in 2012. I want to start process of renew with my current RTO in Bangalore, Karnataka.
I had renewed my non-karnataka license at Bangalore a few years back. The procedure was as follows :

1. Submit proof of bangalore address along with request for change of address. In case your change of adress is more than 3 months old , you need to pay a fine for late intimation (approx Rs 300/-).
2. Apply for renewal of license along with the required documents.

Both the above steps can be done simultaneously with one submission.

Last edited by GTO : 27th January 2011 at 17:11. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 25th January 2011, 13:24   #20
BHPian

I got it my UP license renewed in Bangalore last month. It was a miserable experience. My new DL continues to have the old DL number but issued from Karnataka now. Here are few learnings:

1) Start the process at least 6 months before expiry. They will sense your desperation otherwise. Choose the correct RTO based on your residence address.

2) You need a govt address proof (BSNL phone bill, BESCOM electricity bill) etc. Airtel, Vodafone and even SBI Bank statements don't work. I had none of these. So, finally, I made a self swearing affidavit which was initially rejected but later accepted after persuasion. You may even take a 250 Rs LIC policy. This works. However LIC will take 1 month to give you policy copy.

3) Fill all the forms. Pay the usual fee (250 Rs) + 35 Rs self addressed envelop.

4) They will have you photographed and and ask you to check after 2 months. Make a colored photocopy of your current DL and make sure they put a stamp on it with signature.

I did wait for 2 months and DL did not arrive. After 2 visits they finally caved in and gave me my new DL. Total money they made out of me was 35 Rs (in postal stamp value). I did burn petrol that would have been more than 200 Rs though FYI: agent demanded 2K for the work.

I think it is worth the trouble as it brought me back to the reality of India shining!
raghavv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2011, 05:44   #21
Senior - BHPian

I got my Kerala DL renewed from Kerala itself even though I live out of state for more than 20 years. Just sent my old DL with required forms filled to one agent who runs a driving school. They got it done and the DL was sent directly to me from RTO in about 2 weeks time.
Old 27th January 2011, 09:38   #22
BHPian

I have recently moved to Kolkata from Dubai, and wanted a driving licence.

I have an Indian licence issued at Mumbai, which expired in 1996.

I went to the Automibile Association (AAEI) and was told :
1. The Mumbai licence cannot be renewed in Kolkata.
2. I need to apply for a new licence in Kolkata.
3. Until I get my new licence, I can drive in Kolkata on the basis of my Dubai licence and an International Driving licence issued from Dubai, which is valid in India.

To get the new licence in Kolkata, I had to become a temporary member of AAEI, which cost Rs 336. (One cannot become a full member unless one owns a car, which I don't at the moment - the car will arrive next week). I had to pay Rs 500 for a learner's licence. Subsequently I would have to appear for a driving test, which the AAEI staffer would conduct (and I would pass !!). The only time I would have to go to the RTO will be to get my final licence which involves taking a photograph which is incorporated in the licence.

By the way, since I am above 50 I will have to sign an Affidavit stating that I am physically fit.

the whole process will take 2 to 3 months.

Nothing is easy in Kolkatata !!
benu9714 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2011, 18:37   #23
Joy
BHPian

Today, I went to RTO, Kolkata to renew my DL which was originally was issued from Guwahati, Assam and lapsed since 01-02-2011. At first, they told me that it is not possible to renew it here. But after a little persuasion, they told me that I have to get NOC from RTO, Guwahati and then only it can be renewed. The agent told me, why are going for this hassle and insisted that I get a new DL done here in Kolkata.

Guys, I am confused. What should I do?

1. Is NOC really required?
2. Should I get a new DL or try to get the NOC from Guwahati?

help.
Old 2nd March 2011, 18:49   #24
Senior - BHPian

Better to get a new one done if older license has expired.

If older license is active, its illegal to have two licenses at the same time.
Old 3rd March 2011, 11:59   #25
Joy
BHPian

@NetfreakBombay: Thanks. My older license has expired on 01-02-2011.
Old 7th October 2011, 15:52   #26
Senior - BHPian

I needed to get an address change done on my 4W DL which was issued from Mumbai in 2003. This was a book type license, which I wanted to have in Card format with my bangalore address.
I approached AASI (Automobiles association of South India) at Bangalore and took their life membership. They asked me to fill out some forms and fixed an appointment with their person at the RTO office. On the appointed day, i reached there. The process was smooth. The RTO officer was asking questions about where I work, if I had an office I-card etc (Which was totally unnecessary, but I humoured him). Then my photograph and signature were taken on the system. I was told by the AASI person that the DL would come in 45-60 days and guess what, the DL arrived on the 56th day by Speedpost. It is in the smartcard format with the original DL expiry date and number.
Since i am a migrant to Bangalore with no permanent proof of residence, I provided a notarised affidavit on stamp paper with a stamped photograph. I also enclosed a company letter and copy of house rental agreement just in case.
I am impressed by AASI's work, and the membership is worth it. In all, I was charged Rs.340 by AASI which included DL and RTO charges, and I went the legal way without paying any bribe.
FYI, Agents asked me to apply for a fresh licence which would have cost some 2800 for 2 wheeler and 4 wheeler .
Old 7th October 2011, 18:25   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
At this age RTO is very mysterious organization in India. Typically it should be monitored by central government but not in this case. Even if I approach with right set of documents they will tend to send me back several times (bribe matters). But I am not suppose to give a single rupee bribe to those guys.

I myself transferred and registered my home state car at Bangalore with Road Tax + 500 Rupees approx fees. I takes lots of effort but at the end my achievement is I did not pay a single rupee bribe.

I also have book type license which I want to convert to card type. It takes lots of effort to keep book type license intact. Sometimes in coming days I would visit RTO and inquire about procedure. Please post all your information.
Anuj, let me know in case you need any help in Nagpur RTO.

BTW, is there any harm if we get the new DL? my DL is from Nagpur and old type, i want new DL in pune, which is card type.
Old 7th October 2011, 18:35   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
BTW, is there any harm if we get the new DL? my DL is from Nagpur and old type, i want new DL in pune, which is card type.
It is illegal to have 2 DLs against your name. Isn't Nagpur RTO issuing card-type DLs yet?

You can have a DL issued from Pune once your current DL expires.
Old 7th October 2011, 18:44   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
It is illegal to have 2 DLs against your name. Isn't Nagpur RTO issuing card-type DLs yet?

You can have a DL issued from Pune once your current DL expires.
ohh not really, they do issue card type, by mine is older. and changing it to card type is a longer process.
Old 7th October 2011, 18:48   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
Anuj, let me know in case you need any help in Nagpur RTO.
Thanks throttleking. I have to renew my driving license as it is of book type and I left Nagpur many years ago. Two months back I went to Nagpur and got the NOC for my two wheelers. I had not given them my license as I had to drive a lot in next few days.

Soon I will start a procedure from Bangalore and will PM you If I need any help.

Most Viewed