Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2017, 20:43   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: How to renew driving license issued in other state?

I reside in Bangalore. Just found that my license issued from Cochin, Kerala expired in November 2016. Is there a reliable agent I can contact in Bangalore? Or is it recommended to get the NOC by post and get it done by self in Bangalore? Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 22:28   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSimonS View Post
They made it mandatory to have the NOC from DL issued RTO for the renewal of outstation DLs. They did not accept the application with the acknowledgement and said will accept only with the NoC.

Same rules in Hyderabad! My wife's driving license expired in December, 2015, and we discovered it only in August, 2016.
Her original DL was issued in Vizag in December, 1995. Surprisingly it wasn't issued till age 50, but for 20 years. We'd taken it for granted that it was valid till August, 2016, when she'd turn 50.

To complicate matters, Vizag is now not in the same state as Hyderabad! And as she was over 50, a medical certificate was also needed.

A visit to the Hyderabad Central RTO nearby made me aware that NOC from Vizag is a must. I called an agent in Vizag after that. He said the applicant must personally visit the RTO and apply for the NOC. Agents or relatives were not allowed as Chandrababu Naidu had apparently tightened all RTOs! However, the spouse could visit on behalf of the applicant giving a valid reason. So that really complicated matters. Though we often visit Vizag, the thought of driving 25 Kms to the Gajuwaka RTO was a deterrent. It could eat up an entire day of our vacation. And we had no trips planned till December. To make matters worse, I'd paid two visits to the same RTO in June, 2016 to get my WagonR's NOC for renewal in Hyderabad.

And driving without a DL was worrisome. So we immediately applied for an LLR and got it after an online test at Hyderabad Central Zone. The old 'L' boards on the WagonR came in handy. After that we found out that applying for a fresh DL in Hyderabad was a quicker and cheaper option. Only hitch was a driving test had to be taken.

I showed a few videos on YouTube to my wife to prepare for the test. Booked a slot at Medchal track on December 7th after paying the online fee of around 470 rupees. Drove 20 Kms to the test track and had my wife memorise the route displayed on a map beside the track. She passed without a hitch and we were told it would take a week for the DL to reach us. Till then we had a receipt with 'Passed' stamped on it.

Finally the DL reached us by speed post on 24th December. Total cost was under 550 including the LLR and xerox copies of RC, insurance, PUC etc. The NOC route would have been a lot costlier in this case.

Last edited by vnabhi : 3rd January 2017 at 22:41.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2017, 13:22   #78
Senior - BHPian

My current DL was issued in 1998 and is valid till next year. I however wanted to check the DL details online, but looks like the old ones are not updated on the saarathi website. This also means that when the license is due for renewal, I cannot do the application process online, but will have to do it all offline. Is my understanding correct or am I missing something? My DL and my current location are both Bangalore, but will be different RTO's due to a change in address.
Old 6th January 2017, 14:04   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
My current DL was issued in 1998 and is valid till next year. I however wanted to check the DL details online, but looks like the old ones are not updated on the saarathi website. This also means that when the license is due for renewal, I cannot do the application process online, but will have to do it all offline. Is my understanding correct or am I missing something? My DL and my current location are both Bangalore, but will be different RTO's due to a change in address.
Your understanding is right. Even I had to pay the price for the laziness of the RTO in feeding old data into their system.

To elaborate further, I'd taken an NOC and got the hypothecation lifted on my WagonR way back in 2002 while shifting to Hyderabad. There was an endorsement in my RC book to that effext. But those nitwits did not have it in their system when I visited in 2016. So I had to get the papers once again and pay the fee for lifting of hypothecation.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 00:12   #80

I guess I am having the same problem faced by few others out here.

Problem: I have two licenses belonging to two different RTOs. First for two wheeler and second for 4 wheeler. While getting the second one I had no idea that i shouldnt be getting two licenses. It was procured through an agent. I was naive. Now the first one is due for renewal in 2 months.

I have inquired in the Pune RTO and they have asked me to get a NOC from both the RTOs. (Sangli and Thane). To get my current license extended and transferred to Pune RTO.

Questions:
1. Can I submit both these licenses at Pune RTO by putting a letter that I am carrying two licenses, which I should not be? And maybe pay any penalty that is applicable.

2. If getting a NOC is un-avoidable is there a way I can get it through post/internet ? what is the application I would have to write ?
Old 2nd February 2017, 10:39   #81
BHPian

Like many other people, we discovered that my wife's license expired about 6 months back. Since it was issued out of state, is there any benefit of trying to go for a renewal, or shall we simply go in as a new applicant here in Bangalore? If so, does she need to start with applying for LL?

EDIT: Is Koramangla RTO difficult to navigate for someone who doesn't know Kannada?

Thanks!

Last edited by Su-47 : 2nd February 2017 at 10:41.
Old 2nd February 2017, 17:35   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Like many other people, we discovered that my wife's license expired about 6 months back. Since it was issued out of state, is there any benefit of trying to go for a renewal, or shall we simply go in as a new applicant here in Bangalore? If so, does she need to start with applying for LL?

EDIT: Is Koramangla RTO difficult to navigate for someone who doesn't know Kannada?

Thanks!

Yes, if you are looking at a fresh DL, it has to go through the whole exercise of applying for a LL and then a DL. Expired DL's can also be renewed by paying a fine and that should be a much simpler process than getting a new one.

Don't know specifically about Koramangala RTO, but any RTO in Bangalore is quite language friendly with people trying to speak english, hindi, telugu, tamil among others. So you should be alright.

An unsolicited advice, try to learn the language as well, will always be useful.
Old 13th March 2017, 20:09   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Yes, this is possible. My Dad got his TN license renewed in Mysore. The process is tedious as its a government office at the end of the day. They send a letter to the issuing RTO, who in turn have to send back some kind of no objection certificate. This part took forever in my Dad's case, and we had to use some influence at the TN RTO to get things moving. Once that letter comes, then it becomes a regular renewal.
I know it is an old post but this post helped me today.

Thanks to fiat_tarun. Very useful info.

My dad's driving license has expired in Kerala and the license was originally issued from Tamilnadu. As we dont live in tamilnadu anymore, we don't have an address there. So needed to transfer the expired license to Kerala.

We were approaching driving institute and then saw this post here.

After reading this post, advised him. He visited Coimbatore and got NOC.

We will be starting the renewal and address change process from tomorrow.
Old 29th March 2017, 23:23   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhandary View Post
Called up a driving school at Coimbatore for assistance in getting the NoC (for renewing the expiring driving license) from the Coimbatore RTO and he was all willing to do it. Time needed was 2-3 days and his "charge" was Rs 700/- which included the courier charges for the documents. Felt the rate was too high and hence looking for alternate options.

I had sent an email to the official email ID of the Coimbatore RTO regarding the applicable charges for the NoC and waiting for the reply. In all probability it would remain unanswered.
Now my woes start. I had sent my original DL through a friend of mine to a Driving School in Coimbatore for getting the NoC and the driving school guy has told me that the book containing my details were not traceable at RTO and hence they are not able to issue a NoC. At the time of issue of DL 20 yrs back there was no computerisation and hence they have to retrieve their book to verify and issue a NoC. To make matters worse, the RTO office had shifted from its original location to a new location 8 years back. Could be the book was misplaced at that time by the RTO?

The driving school guy advised me to apply for a fresh DL in Bangalore for which I refused saying it was not a legal thing to do.

Looks like I have to now visit CBE personally to plead my case with the RTO officials for getting the NoC before the grace period for renewal expires.
Old 30th March 2017, 17:24   #85
BHPian

Re: MH-01 to KA-41 Inter State Licence Renewal

Just completed the most encouraging experience at an RTO. Was renewing my expired book type Driving Licence of MH-01-- had already got the NOC in hand -- to KA-41, Jnanabharathi RTO.

A big thank you to
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramassrs View Post
Ramas.
, as the post was most appropriate regarding preparation.

Armed with the Medical Certificate, the requisite forms completed, self addressed envelope (Rs. 17/- postage stamps affixed) and the small plastic cover (both procured from the blue box cigarette/tea shop outside RTO) & my previously procured NOC from MH-01, I enquired from the only manned counter at the Driving Licence section, was directed to room#11.

Room#11 has an elderly gentleman who takes my forms, ensures all necessary documents are available, skims through the NOC and my book type licence and starts furiously making small notes in a red pen on the form. This is the amounts that I need to pay including a fine for delayed renewal. It includes fees for smart card. Amounts to Rs. 1800/-, directs me to first floor, Cashier, Window#2.

Window#2 has a couple of people ahead of me, pass across the form with the red notations, pay the amount and get the receipt. Redirected to Room#11.

Verifies that payment has been made and directs me to Room#12 for finger print, digital photograph and signature. Processed in less than a minute as there was absolutely no waiting. Directed to Window#13.

Window#13 verifies the documents and issues me a slip of paper and says licence will be sent by post in 30 days.

Went back in search of the gentleman in Room#11 and complimented on the efficiency of the department and told him that this is the first time I have seen efficiency in any government department of any type.

KA-41, Jnanabharathi RTO seems to have very less crowd on all days.

Process time = 7 minutes. Licence Renewed.
Old 30th March 2017, 18:45   #86
BHPian

Sharing my experience with DL renewal:
When I renewed my Kerala issued DL in 2009 at Jaya Nagar RTO, they sent the request for NOC on my behalf to Kerala. They wait for 90 days to get a reply. In case reply comes within that time, great, but more often than not it doesn't. So after 90 days they assume NOC clearance and issue the DL.

Now armed with this experience, I went to renew my wife's DL in October 2016 - 30 days prior to expiry (Electronics city RTO). The receiving officer took one look and asked "Where is the NOC?". I promptly relayed my prior experience to which he gave a smirk and said that I can visit Jaya Nagar RTO if I want. Some pleading happened, and then he said that either 1) get the NOC from Chennai or 2) write a letter to the concerned Chennai RTO requesting NOC and post it with acknowledgement option. Visit the RTO after receiving postal acknowledgement and then he said he'll see what he can do. Bummer.

We looked around for some agent but passed looking at the lot hovering around. We then tried to go to the neighbourhood driving school where we found the office empty. So now what? On an impulse we decided, well, it is after all Chennai, we can drive to Chennai and get what is needed. We called Anna Nagar RTO and they explained the process which sounded quite straight forward.

So off we drove the next day to Chennai, starting from Bangalore at 4 AM, freshened up, had breakfast at in-law's place and were in the RTO at 9:30. It was welcome to see that RTO officials were already in and the office was buzzing. Being early we figured out what to do quickly and got into the queue. Within 10 mins we were called and got done with the application process in about 20 mins. We were told to come at 4 PM to collect the NOC. Went at 4 and got the NOC by 5. Drove back to Bangalore the next day.

The following day, went back to Electronics city RTO and presented all documents. All were found to be in order. Application done and acknowledgement received in an hour's time. DL was supposed to come by post in 30 days. On the 31st day, went back to the RTO to follow up. The DL was ready but was lying in a heap of pending DLs to be mailed. Collected it in person and brought the ordeal to its successful close.

Felt nice having got it done without agents, bribe and after dealing with 2 RTOs!

Last edited by Mnjdnght : 30th March 2017 at 18:49. Reason: Missed specifying the year.
Mnjdnght is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2017, 15:27   #87

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnjdnght View Post
Sharing my experience with DL renewal:
When I renewed my Kerala issued DL in 2009 at Jaya Nagar RTO, they sent the request for NOC on my behalf to Kerala. They wait for 90 days to get a reply. In case reply comes within that time, great, but more often than not it doesn't. So after 90 days they assume NOC clearance and issue the DL.
===============
Felt nice having got it done without agents, bribe and after dealing with 2 RTOs!
are you saying that the RTO office can apply for a NOC on my behalf if I put such a request ? I am facing the same problem... original license issued in a different RTO than the one I am in right now. Both of them are in Maharashtra.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 2nd April 2017 at 15:58. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.
Old 2nd April 2017, 16:48   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaustubhpatil View Post
are you saying that the RTO office can apply for a NOC on my behalf if I put such a request ? I am facing the same problem... original license issued in a different RTO than the one I am in right now. Both of them are in Maharashtra.
That was the case when I renewed my DL in 2009. But it didn't work when I renewed my wife's DL in 2016. I was asked to specifically get NOC from the issuing RTO.
Old 1st December 2017, 08:51   #89
BHPian

Is it possible to renew a license , which is expiring in June 2018 , now ? As per the Karnataka RTO site, the license can be renewed only 30 days in advance. Does anyone know of any way this can be done ?
Old 1st December 2017, 10:19   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanak1 View Post
My license was issued in Mysore RTO in 2004. It was in booklet form. Got it converted to smart card in KR Puram Bangalore RTO. Also address has been updated to the Bangalore address. I had applied on 24th Nov and received the license today. I went through an agent and it costed me Rs. 1000/- in all.
I am looking forward to get my license renewed shortly (in a couple of months). Please help me with the Agent contact details at K.R Puram RTO, so that I can also get mine renewed.

Another question is, when you got it renewed, did your expiry date get extended or was it the original DL expiry date itself. If yes, then by ho many years?

Most Viewed