Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2011, 17:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

How to renew driving license issued in other state?

I have driving license which was issued by Nagpur RTO in Maharashtra and is due for expiry sometimes in 2012. I want to start process of renew with my current RTO in Bangalore, Karnataka.

For renew, I do not want to go back to RTO where it was actually issued before as this is not feasible.

Have any of us went through this process and renewed their license in current state of residence? Please write your experience and suggest way of doing it.

1. First of all, Is it possible to renew from other state RTO?
2. How to approach Bangalore RTO?
3. What are the mandatory documents required?
anujmishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2011, 17:31   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: How to renew driving license issued in other state?

I don't think you can renew a license from an RTO in another state. (I doubt it can be done from an RTO of another city of the same state)

You could catch hold of some Driving School or an agent in Nagpur who could do it for you.

Requirements for renewal would be the form and address proof. I don't know about Nagpur RTO but Pune RTO now mails the DL; the system of collecting the DL O-T-C is done away with.
Old 24th January 2011, 17:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

You cannot renew the driving licence from one state to another as rightly said by @libran. Two options:
1) Go to Nagpur RTO sumbit the reqd document and renew.
2) let the DL expire , take a new DL in B'lore with the reqd documents.

Sadly in Thane its still the OTC.
Old 24th January 2011, 17:42   #4
Team-BHP Support

Wow same issue this side, any info regarding the same would be useful. Usually there was a need for passport size photograph and medical certificate and eye sight certificate that needs to be submitted to the RTO. But this if it is the RTO of issual.

Renewing outside, especially the state itself is the confusing bit. When my licence was issued from my home state, computerization was also not there.
Old 24th January 2011, 17:43   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Of course Anuj you can renew your license here provided it is a valid document issued by any RTO in India.

Please contact the Automobile Association, become a life member there and ask them to do it for you. The life membership costs about 3500 but it is worth it in my opinion.

Alternatively you can approach a Driving School and ask them for help. You will need to produce some documents in ref residence address proof etc -Plus the Original license. Documents that may help you are PAN Card, Voters Id, a lease agreement for your home or ownership docs to prove your residence address. or a gas bill or electricity bill, some photos and so on. the process may cost you about 500-800 Rs for change of address and renewal plus some fees for the driving school chap.

You can give your license and request renewal only when there is ONE month validity left in the existing license. The RTO will not accept it any earlier than that. And the typical time taken for getting the license renewed could be around 10-15 days MAX.

Cheers

Last edited by shankar.balan : 24th January 2011 at 17:45.
Old 24th January 2011, 17:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

In 2001 I had gotten the card-type DL done at Bangalore RTO (my book-type DL was issued in UP.) But that was not a renewal case. It was done thru an agent (the driving school instructor) and probably the RTO wanted some bribe as they didnt release my card for 1.5 months (the normal processing time was like 2 days or so.) The pretext for this long wait was address verification (actually my original DL is so badly done that it looks fake!!!) Finally they got the hint that I wont pay anything and just gave me my DL
Old 24th January 2011, 17:53   #7
BHPian

My father was in the Army and got my license when I was in Delhi very many years ago.
I have hence renewed it in Kerala from the RTO at Ernakulam/Kochi. There were absolutely no issues. Just met the asst rto officer about 8 or 9 years ago and did as he asked me to. There was no way that I would have gone to Delhi just to renew my license. Got the renewed license in about a weeks time by registered post from the Kochi RTO.
Absolutely no hassles and no bribes.

P.S--- I have not bribed a government officer as yet.
drpullockaran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2011, 17:58   #8
Team-BHP Support

For all those who got their DLs renewed at a diff. RTO; was it renewal or issue of a NEW DL from that RTO?
Old 24th January 2011, 18:46   #9
BHPian

It is possible to renew a license issued anywhere in India. Atleast this is possible in Bangalore for sure. The process is the same as renewal of license issued by Karnataka RTO. For more details: Transport Department

However, the caveat is that KAR RTO will send a query to your current RTO for verification which usually takes 30-60 days. While the verification is in progress, you can drive with a photocopy of the DL with the application submission acknowledgment.

Hope this info helps.
patron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2011, 18:52   #10
Team-BHP Support

The site says other office, which is vague. Does that mean other RTO's in Karnataka or other states also?
Old 24th January 2011, 18:55   #11
BHPian

Hello,

I have a similar Query. I had a DL issued in Chennai in 2000. I have moved to Hyderabad and unfortunately lost my Original DL. Is it possible to get a new one issue without visiting Chennai?
Old 24th January 2011, 18:56   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
The site says other office, which is vague. Does that mean other RTO's in Karnataka or other states also?
Yes, other office is any RTO other than the one where you are applying. But take the 20days with a pinch of salt. It took me 54 days to be precise.
Old 24th January 2011, 19:02   #13
Team-BHP Support

That is good news, since you have already done this. Next year if required i will try this option
Old 24th January 2011, 21:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

At this age RTO is very mysterious organization in India. Typically it should be monitored by central government but not in this case. Even if I approach with right set of documents they will tend to send me back several times (bribe matters). But I am not suppose to give a single rupee bribe to those guys.

I myself transferred and registered my home state car at Bangalore with Road Tax + 500 Rupees approx fees. I takes lots of effort but at the end my achievement is I did not pay a single rupee bribe.

I also have book type license which I want to convert to card type. It takes lots of effort to keep book type license intact. Sometimes in coming days I would visit RTO and inquire about procedure. Please post all your information.
anujmishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2011, 22:25   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
At this age RTO is very mysterious organization in India. Typically it should be monitored by central government but not in this case. Even if I approach with right set of documents they will tend to send me back several times (bribe matters). But I am not suppose to give a single rupee bribe to those guys.

I myself transferred and registered my home state car at Bangalore with Road Tax + 500 Rupees approx fees. I takes lots of effort but at the end my achievement is I did not pay a single rupee bribe.

I also have book type license which I want to convert to card type. It takes lots of effort to keep book type license intact. Sometimes in coming days I would visit RTO and inquire about procedure. Please post all your information.
I had gotten my card type DL here in Bangalore 10 years back. You need to visit the RTO for that as they take your pic tehre (at least it was like that at that time). you dont even need to go to an agent or anything. and dont pay any bribe. they'll eventually give u ur DL back! I got mine after 1.5 months (although it should have taken only 2 days. but they supposedly do a verification with ur issuing RTO.) Its just a pretext for some palm greasing though.
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks