Team-BHP - Hyundai's new Kappa 1.0, 3-cyl engine: Will it come to India?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Hyundai's new Kappa 1.0, 3-cyl engine: Will it come to India? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/95621-hyundais-new-kappa-1-0-3-cyl-engine-will-come-india.html)

Today, Hyundai released information about the new Kia Picanto for Europe. If you guys remember, the outgoing Picanto was basically a Santro.
I stared at it for a while and concluded that this one must be heavily based on the i-10.

But what was most intruging was a new 1.0 liter 69 bhp 3-cyl that is the entry level engine. Sounds like a K10 fighter but will it go into an i-10 or is the much talked about Santro 800?

Quote:

the spokesperson revealed that they are looking at both the new 1.0-litre and 1.2-litre Kappa petrol engines.

The 1.0-litre engine produces 51kW and 94Nm while the 1.2-litre is good for 63kW and 121Nm - Kia SA will surely capitalize on the latter engine to allow it to properly rival the new Chevrolet Spark.
Quote:

So the company developed an all-new three-cylinder as part of its “kappa” engine family. Variable induction and variable valve timing on both cams wring 69 horsepower (at 6,200 rpm) and 69 foot-pounds of torque (at 3,500) out of 1.0 liter. And the key achievements: a 17 percent improvement in fuel efficiency (55 MPG in European testing) and CO2 emissions of 99 grams per kilometer (apparently nudging under 100 is a big deal across the pond). One trick: come to a stop, place the transmission into neutral, and release the clutch, and the engine shuts off. Depress the clutch, and the three automatically restarts.

Given the inherent imbalance of a three-cylinder engine, and the absence of inefficient balance shafts, I expected the kappa to feel rough. But, partly because the crankshaft is offset, it doesn’t. The engine does, however, produce an unseemly amount of noise when revved, discouraging runs to the redline. Given the modest power output—equivalent to 120 horsepower in a 3,500-pound sedan—acceleration is unsurprisingly tepid, though not unbearably so. For these seeking a little more power, a 79-horsepower 1.2-liter four is also offered.
Here are the 2 sources

New details on 2012 Kia Picanto - Kia - IOL | Breaking News | South Africa News | World News | Sport | Business | Entertainment | IOL.co.za

Review: Hyundai i10 | The Truth About Cars

Hyundai is already mulling to launch and new model below Santro which would be pitted again Alto. According to company officials, the development of the small car, to be positioned against Maruti's volume model, is underway at the company's R&D facility at Korea. So I guess this new 1.0 Kappa would do duty on it.

Good that Hyundai is considering our market seriously and coming out with new engines instead of bringing age old engines which other manufacturers do.

They should replace their current 1.1 liter engine with the new engine. Does it have variable valve timing? If not shouldn't be too hard to incorporate in the future, if need be since it looks like this is based on the 1.2 Kappa.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sankar (Post 2220677)
Does it have variable valve timing? If not shouldn't be too hard to incorporate in the future, if need be since it looks like this is based on the 1.2 Kappa.

Yes, this engine is equipped with VTVT, Hyundai will come out with VTVT in all its new gen Petrol engines.

Quote:

Originally Posted by camchennai (Post 2220545)
to be positioned against Maruti's volume model, is underway at the company's R&D facility at Korea. So I guess this new 1.0 Kappa would do duty on it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sankar (Post 2220677)
They should replace their current 1.1 liter engine with the new engine. Does it have variable valve timing?.

The one site says its dual VVT but I think it must be single like its big brother the 1.2. Note it makes 2 more bhp and 4 more torques (like JC would say) compared to the Suzuki K10.

Not sure what Hyundai has in mind, because they just reengineered their iRDE with updates for the i-10 facelift.

There is still a huge opportunity to go after the Alto K-10 and the car for that job should be the Santro Kappa1.0