Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2006, 23:18   #16
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
The 1.1 is India specific born out of adding a cylinder to the 800cc 3 pot.
NO!... thats some crap .. speculated by Overdrive. Its a different thing altogether though belongs to the same series of engines!... Its a Suzuki F10D. Also used in Alto world wide.
Old 1st January 2006, 23:30   #17
Senior - BHPian

The original Wagon R+ was much more wider than the Wagon R we get here in India. Some of the versions had a rear door only on the left side for safety of passengers getting down.
Old 2nd January 2006, 09:59   #18
Senior - BHPian

I dont think it will be a 1.1 L petrol engine. I dont think Maruti is fool enough (or are they?) to have two similar cars one wider than the other (lol..) in the same segment..
Either it will be a 1.3L petrol or most probably it will be a diesel. What kind of diesel (multijet or TUD) remains to be seen.
Old 2nd January 2006, 14:00   #19
Senior - BHPian

This is an interesting news. The 1.3 multijet engine is particularly a good one. Surprising that this tiny 1.3 litre 130 kg engine provides around 70 bhp of power and 18 kgm of torque (Fiat now has a revamped engine with figures of 75 bhp and 19 kgm). But as I checked Fiat sites, I figured out that their panda with the same engine has a torque of 14.2 kgm instead of 18+. I guess it has more to do with the space available in the engine bay and the gearbox Fiat has used there. Since WagonR+ has dimensions very similar to Panda, I guess this configuration might hold good there too. Anyways, it is one engine which is widely awaited in India.
Old 2nd January 2006, 14:30   #20
Team-BHP Support

Nothing great about a 1.3 litre 70bhp. Tata's decade old engine(1.4L) pumps out the 70.
Getting the most HP and torque out is hyundai's forte, with the crdi at 82bhp.
Old 2nd January 2006, 14:46   #21
Senior - BHPian

I do not want to belittle the Tata 1.4 litre engine in any way. I know that it is a good engine.

Some salient things about the JTD are:
1. With the intercooler and the turbo, the weight of the entire setup is just about 130 kg. All these, inspite of using the cast iron because of the common rail.
2. It is claimed to be the most compact and the smallest diesel engine in the world.
3. It is Euro 4 compliant without using the expensive particle filters.
4. There is also a variable turbo version of the 1.3 JTD which gives about 90 bhp.

The Indica turbo engine is a good one; the only grouse I have against that is that most of the horses available are at the higher revs. The turbo also kicks in at fairly higher revs.
Old 2nd January 2006, 14:54   #22
Team-BHP Support

Opel claims "The smallest diesel" honours too. It was engine of the year(europe) 2005.
http://www.europe.opel.com/brand_sites/cdti/shell.html
this one is also 1.3L and pumps out 70bhp and 90bhp. I wonder if its the Fiat JTD only?
Old 2nd January 2006, 14:59   #23
Senior - BHPian

It is the Fiat engine. This can be found on many Fiats, Opels, Suzukis (not yet, but will be there by the end of this year).
Old 2nd January 2006, 15:04   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather
Its nice.. like the headlamps.. but i have not seen many diesel cars from maruti on road.. remember the zen and esteem diesel.. not many of them around..
Zens and Esteems never used the JTD engine. They were powered by the TUD5. So no comparisions. Moreover, if you want to see those Zen and Esteem diesels go to the south of India. You will be stumped mate.
Old 2nd January 2006, 20:34   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

ive heard hyundai is also planning a 1.1 litre crdi for santro xing.
Old 2nd January 2006, 20:37   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Nothing great about a 1.3 litre 70bhp. Tata's decade old engine(1.4L) pumps out the 70.
Getting the most HP and torque out is hyundai's forte, with the crdi at 82bhp.
and sir did u forget the kind of refinement and NVH levels it will offer + the reduced weight?,we are only buying tata cars because we dont have other options when it comes to buying value for money diesels.
Old 3rd January 2006, 10:30   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman
ive heard hyundai is also planning a 1.1 litre crdi for santro xing.
Things sure seem to be hotting up in the diesel hatch segment!

Anyway, how much of a premium will Maruti charge for the 1.3JTD Wagon R+ ?
I think in one of the overdrive issues; they speculated that the same in the Swift will be at a premium of 50,000 to 1lac.

if this wagon r model is to cost over 4.5 lacs..that would be to the advantage of the Indica..isn't it?
Old 3rd January 2006, 11:30   #28
Team-BHP Support

If a similar speced wagonR is priced within 30K of indica turbo it will sell, anything more its going to be advantage indica. The real bomb on tata will be of this wagon R+ costs around 430K for a power windows/rear wash wipe etc., version, same as the DLX. Indica sales will crash.
Old 3rd January 2006, 12:31   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
If a similar speced wagonR is priced within 30K of indica turbo it will sell, anything more its going to be advantage indica. The real bomb on tata will be of this wagon R+ costs around 430K for a power windows/rear wash wipe etc., version, same as the DLX. Indica sales will crash.
Maybe you have a point. However there is another angle to the whole thing. Just yesterday I met one guy who recently purchased a turbo. This is his second Indica. According to him he planned for a petrol car this time around as his everyday running has decreased a lot of late. So he was looking at a car with better NVH, pick-up et al. However according to him although he checked out all the available hatchbacks upto 5L ultimately he again fell for Indica (turbo this time) as he felt that inspite of the lesser NVH he felt very uncomfortable, constricted and tied down in all the other cars. He says "my wife, though was not very direct, seemed to have the same idea and readily agreed for another Indica".

So there... I never thought that space can be such a huge decisive factor as to swing the choice to an altogether different fuel form particularly when you were not keen on that to begin with!!!
Old 27th December 2006, 06:56   #30
BANNED

This thread appeared to be just a rumour thread. There is still no news about WagonR Diesel so far, even after the end of '06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks