Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2011, 10:47   #1
BHPian

*Rumour* - Chevy planning Camaro launch in India

GM has announced that they will be launching the right-hand drive version of the Camaro in India by mid this year.

For more information please read the following article. This is also the source:
GM Announces Camaro Is Heading for India - autoevolution

*Rumour* - Chevy planning Camaro launch in India-gmannouncescamaroisheadingforindia30483_1.jpg

MODS: I have created this new thread because the other Camaro thread has been closed!

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd February 2011 at 15:25. Reason: Adding pic
Old 1st February 2011, 10:52   #2
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

re: *Rumour* - Chevy planning Camaro launch in India

Well sounds like another Brand Building Exercise like the Mitsubishi Lancer EVO.

These dont' really sell even in sustained small numbers due to the CBU pricing and those with the dough do end up going for a more premium brand.
Old 1st February 2011, 11:52   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I would love to see the Camaro being launched in India.
However, unlike Mitsubishi who launched the evo in the lowest power trim variant, I hope GM launches the SS variant. That would be a true brand builder.

According to the article, it will launch for twice its american price. So even at 30-35L for the SS, it would garner quite a few sales. Heck, i would love to get one!

Last edited by lamborghini : 1st February 2011 at 11:54.
Old 1st February 2011, 12:16   #4
BHPian

I am sure that this beast will eat away the sales of the Audi TT , Mitsubishi Evo and the Nissan 370Z!
Old 1st February 2011, 12:25   #5
Team-BHP Support

30 - 35 lakhs for a Camaro? You really think so? I would've assumed it would cost much more (no scientific analysis - just my perception)
Old 1st February 2011, 12:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

wow. hopefully GM wont go down the HM route and price it at 50L!
Old 1st February 2011, 12:33   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Good move by GM from a branding perspective but I hope they make sure the service backup is sound. You can't have Spark technicians be working on a Camaro unless they have had some intensive training !

If this is purely a marketing/branding exercise then GM should price is aggressively. The EVO need not be a bench-mark. If margins/budgets permit they should price it lower to get more sales = more cars on the road = more branding/marketing mileage !

Last edited by Sahil : 1st February 2011 at 12:34.
Old 1st February 2011, 12:42   #8
BHPian

Awesome news!! not only will we get to see thses beauties in the 'flesh' so to speak, it do wonders to the brand image of GM in India!

If the VW beetle is anything to go by it will do decent number as well. The pricing will be crucial though!

Prices start around $23,000 on in USA. Looks like the indian price for a CBU will be at 32 to 35 lacs ex show room

Last edited by Mafia : 1st February 2011 at 12:51.
Old 1st February 2011, 12:56   #9
BHPian

Great to hear that the Camaro will be here but taking a look at our country's import rules, the car must cost over US$40,000 in which case homologation is not required. So that is Rs 20 lakhs and add 110% or so for duties which brings it to 40-42 lakhs. Add some more for registration, insurance, local taxes and logistics.

However, if GM decide to homologate the car, then it is very much possible for them to bring the lowest version with a 3.0L V6 that could cost just Rs 30 lakhs on-road.
Old 1st February 2011, 13:15   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

A true muscle car being launched in India!!!
Heck, it's the first true American car to be launched here.
But looking from the price point of other sports cars selling in India, it sure will be priced at 40-50 lakhs.
But anything less than 30 lakhs,it will quite be a rage and force either the others to decrease their price or even force the Mustang to be launched here.
Old 1st February 2011, 13:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

Guys i would count my chicken before they hatch. Revind your memory to a few years ago when GM had brought down the Corvette and the SSR, the same excercise was followed by GM. A few years later we still await the Corvette's entry and now the brother Camero has been announced. I would wait till i see one on the roads with Indian reg plates and the trim level they bring in before i get excited. I have a feeling the lowest engine spec and trim level would be brought in and priced a tad less than the Evo 10.
Old 1st February 2011, 14:14   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Great to hear about the impending arrival of the Camaro. Just found out that in the US, the Camaro outsold the Mustang in 2010 (81,299 to 73,716) ending the Mustang's 24 year run at the top of the sports car charts

IIRC Kropex Chevrolet has posters of the Camaro. I remember seeing it & asking the sales guy if the car was coming and he said it was put up for brand building purposes. This happened a couple of weeks back.
Old 1st February 2011, 15:19   #13
Senior - BHPian

I interviewed Karl Slym during the launch of SMARTECH engine last week, and to my question on Camaro he said one line, "CAMARO is not yet in RHD, as soon as its available in RHD, I will bring it here". (For Volt too he had the same response, but wasnt that enthusiastic.)

So GM, wants to bring this car in India soon, but is restricted by the rules of the land.

Last edited by tanwaramit : 1st February 2011 at 15:21.
Old 1st February 2011, 16:42   #14
BHPian

Wow finally some true muscle car. I am sure they will price it on par with the EVO. Its a case where they are trying to create a market for such cars.

Something like the Ford Mondeo and Opel Vectra which were awesome cars but conceived to be too expensive for their time but look at the no of people willing to buy a 20Lakh car now.

So down the line in 10years time I am sure there will be other muscle/sports/rally bred cars and people would be willing to shell out such amounts to get them.

Lets hope it happens as I am looking forward to these cars on our roads.
Old 1st February 2011, 17:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

Like Tanwar Amit says, the Camaro will not come to India any time too soon. AutoEvolution is speculating on what Karl Slym said during the Beat's SMARTECH engine launch.

Cheers,

Jay

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks