Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2011, 11:36   #106
An1
BHPian

Re: January 2011 - Indian Car Sales Figures

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Very well said.

Till Figo was launched, in India Ford was perceived to be a a company selling cars only in C and above segment.

Figo has changed the fortune of Ford India and future models coming from Ford's stable will have a larger audience if they fit the bill.

Way to go Ford.
What Figo has done for Ford is, it has also created an image of Ford offering good value for money cars.
I remember at one time when Ikon was introduced, lot of customers sold it off in couple of years citing high upkeep costs.
However, the package Ford India is offering with Figo, is very very capable of pulling upwards other well positioned models from Ford along with it.

With the impending launch of new Fiesta (provided Ford prices & positions it well), Ford has a chance to be present at all levels in sub INR 15 Lac segment including Hatchback (Figo), Entry Level Sedan (Current Fiesta, by pricing it little closer to outgoing Ikon), Mid Segment Sedan (New Fiesta) & SUV (Endeavour) and sell them as good value for money cars.

Last edited by An1 : 3rd February 2011 at 12:08.
Old 3rd February 2011, 11:43   #107
DNM
BANNED

Hi GTO!
Amazed to see that HM has sold 450 Ambassadors! Its very rare to see Ambassadors these days, except with the Government Emblem.
Nissan coudnt sell any 370Z's yet? I did see 2 of them in Bandra, Mumbai!
I have never seen any VW Phaeton rolling the streets! Probably because there was only 1 sold till date!
What is the current on-road price of the Toyota Prius?
Im sure Toyota can make more sales with the Prius if they decrease its price!
Old 3rd February 2011, 12:22   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNM View Post
I have never seen any VW Phaeton rolling the streets! Probably because there was only 1 sold till date!
I have seen a white Phaeton few months back in Hyd.It was on a T/R No.

Great looking car i must say.
Old 3rd February 2011, 12:31   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
The Accent still selling 1000+ numbers monthly. Sure makes me glad I'm not driving an 'out-of-production' car
You are a lucky guy I'm driving a Getz CRDi, only thing which makes me feel better is that the 1.5 diesel engine is still doing rounds in the Verna. I'm yet to find a car which is as powerful and as cheap. Praying for a i20 1.6 CRDi in the future but looks unlikely.
Old 3rd February 2011, 13:45   #110
BHPian

Good going, Ford.
Figo has turned Ford's fortunes in India. Ford now needs to launch the new Fiesta at the earliest and a car to compete with Civic/Corolla to become a brand to reckon with. As with Figo, pricing will be key.
Old 3rd February 2011, 14:21   #111
GTO
Team-BHP Support

*Update*

Porsche added to the opening post:

Quote:
Porsche

Panamera : 2
911 : 1
Cayman S : 1
Boxster S : 1
Cayenne: 20
Old 3rd February 2011, 14:37   #112
An1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
*Update*

Porsche added to the opening post:
Cayenne - 20 units.. Down from 33 units compared to Dec. 2010.

Lot of Year end Cayenne models moved off the floors, maybe with good discounts thrown in during Dec. 2010
Old 3rd February 2011, 14:45   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
You are a lucky guy I'm driving a Getz CRDi, only thing which makes me feel better is that the 1.5 diesel engine is still doing rounds in the Verna. I'm yet to find a car which is as powerful and as cheap. Praying for a i20 1.6 CRDi in the future but looks unlikely.
I reckon your statement.

Getz CRDI is an amazing vehicle.I still fail to understand why it did not click being such a VFM car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNM View Post
What is the current on-road price of the Toyota Prius?
Im sure Toyota can make more sales with the Prius if they decrease its price!
Prius is available in two variants: Toyota Prius Z3 and Toyota Prius Z4. The price tag of the variants is Rs 26.55 and Rs 27.86 lakh (ex-showroom New Delhi) respectively.

Last edited by mobike008 : 3rd February 2011 at 17:53. Reason: Back to back posts. Please wait for 20 Mins before next post or use EDIT button to make changes
Old 3rd February 2011, 17:39   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

@GTO- do companies share numbers for number of automatic variants sold? It would be great to have a sub-thread on sales of slushboxes month on month! Actually it would be beneficial to the auo companies to share this data since am pretty sure these must be on an uptrend anyway.
Old 3rd February 2011, 19:08   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by An1 View Post
What Figo has done for Ford is, it has also created an image of Ford offering good value for money cars.
I remember at one time when Ikon was introduced, lot of customers sold it off in couple of years citing high upkeep costs.
However, the package Ford India is offering with Figo, is very very capable of pulling upwards other well positioned models from Ford along with it.

With the impending launch of new Fiesta (provided Ford prices & positions it well), Ford has a chance to be present at all levels in sub INR 15 Lac segment including Hatchback (Figo), Entry Level Sedan (Current Fiesta, by pricing it little closer to outgoing Ikon), Mid Segment Sedan (New Fiesta) & SUV (Endeavour) and sell them as good value for money cars.
But it has been only a year since this car was launched. Though it has sold in a large number, how can we be confident that the long term ownership of Ford Figo is going to be any cheaper than before. In the words of a Ford Salesman, the parts are still on the higher side of a Maruti or a Tata, which are long time favorites of Indians and the ones whom we benchmark other cars with.

IMHO, I would not declare Ford Figo as a VFM car as it doesn't have enough features and is yet to shine in the After Sales Service department.
Old 3rd February 2011, 23:28   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Till Figo was launched, in India Ford was perceived to be a a company selling cars only in C and above segment.

Figo has changed the fortune of Ford India and future models coming from Ford's stable will have a larger audience if they fit the bill.

Way to go Ford.
Agree 100%! Ford's new models won't be starting from scratch. They will already have the reputation of Ford Figo to back them up.

Alas! if only Fiat and GM would learn from Ford. Fiat's new sub-4L hatch will have to fight, not just the competitors, but also its own reputation of not having a single successful model in India (being flat when the whole market is growing in double digits MoM is a 'failure'!). Fiat will have to start all over again to convince customers about its brand.

With GM, things probably aren't as bad. But if only they would reduce the prices of Spark by around 40k (I am sure, on a 4yr+ line, they have this leeway), they would come in the consideration set of SO many more ppl. With Beat (and for Nissan with its Micra), I think its the styling which is proving to be the spoilsport.

Success in a previous model is so very important for a new model's chances of garnering numbers! I think Maruti too is going to realize this the hard way with Kizashi. Grand Vitara & SX4's failures will definitely affect Kizashi's sales.

@GTO: Really missed your analysis this month.

Off topic: As others have mentioned, if only Maruti would add some goodies to the Gypsy and add a diesel mill to it - they can definitely make a ton of moolah off it. Don't know why they persist in not giving any attention to it (Remember Maruti! this could be one of the better ways to make yourself come in the consideration set of customers as a non-hatch producer and a precursor to making a success of your sedans. Selling Swifts & Ritzs won't see you through the next 10 yrs. And Kizashi won't do anything for you, unless your image changes. With disposable incomes rising, more ppl would be looking to purchase a sedan as their upgrade! Are you listening?). I for one have always wanted a Gypsy and always been put off by its low features and a petrol-guzzling engine.

Off topic2: BTW, the senior BHPians & mods who have good contacts in the car cos :- have you ever suggested this to Maruti? Their response?

Last edited by manishk83 : 3rd February 2011 at 23:39.
Old 4th February 2011, 09:34   #117
BHPian

@ GTO

Please try to get JLR sales figures also.

Volvo has been reporting pathetic sales figures though they make fine and robust cars. Do they have any bigger plans for India or will they remain an "also ran"
Old 4th February 2011, 11:54   #118
BHPian

Those are pretty good figures for Honda, keeping in mind that the Jazz is STILL overpriced and the all new Civic is coming next year and petrol prices increased twice up.

Terrific figures for Honda. Doesnt apply for the CRV and Accord though.

Last edited by coolmel : 4th February 2011 at 11:55.
Old 4th February 2011, 13:30   #119
BHPian

In the words of a Ford Salesman, the parts are still on the higher side of a Maruti or a Tata

I beg to differ here.

There is a big blow up in a Ford Showroom near my home, where in the cost of Spares across Indica Vista, Swift and Figo are compared. It clearly shows Ford has a clear advantage (@5 - 20 % Cheaper than Swift) in terms of Spare part cost. This is the displayed to break the perceived myth of costly Ford spares.
Old 4th February 2011, 16:09   #120
DNM
BANNED

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Typing a message which is not a value-addition to the topic being discussed, or is just entirely irrelevant is considered as “Spam” on this community. Spamming is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 6th February 2011 at 23:07. Reason: Please do NOT submit a post which adds zero value to the discussion
DNM is offline   Received Infraction
Closed Thread

Most Viewed