Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2011, 16:15   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: January 2011 - Indian Car Sales Figures

It annoys me that the Holy Trinity doesn't bother to reveal figures. Good to see life is back to sustainable (acceptable, rather) levels on the Fiat floor. The Fortuner continues to shock me.
Old 1st February 2011, 16:18   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Looks like one day Alto will touch 50K per month sales figure.
+1. That day is not going to be too far as most manafacturers including Maruti are now going into villages to sell their cars. So expect them to hit that number in a year maximum

Glad to see most manafacturers doing well. I am happy that Cruze is still 2nd best selling car in its segment and hoping it outnumber the Altis one day.

Also, nice to see Civic sales up which could be due to the new feature introduced and also a Rs.80,000 discount

Alto and i10 continue to reign and it is tough to beat these 2 top rung leaders even by a close margin as their numbers are so way up ( including the difference between each other) that its almost impossible for other to catch up.
Old 1st February 2011, 16:28   #48
Senior - BHPian

Maruti is running away with the ball. Stunning numbers for the Alto. Would dearly like to know the ratio of K10 and 800 cc.

The second and third largest car makers (TML & Hyundai) have sold one third of the Maruti numbers each.
Old 1st February 2011, 16:34   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
+1. That day is not going to be too far as most manafacturers including Maruti are now going into villages to sell their cars. So expect them to hit that number in a year maximum
Maruti is limited by its own capacity constraints. Current plant is operating at more than 100% capacity. For these numbers, its newer plant need to be completed. That is expected to happen around 2013.
Old 1st February 2011, 16:45   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Maruti is running away with the ball. Stunning numbers for the Alto. Would dearly like to know the ratio of K10 and 800 cc.

The second and third largest car makers (TML & Hyundai) have sold one third of the Maruti numbers each.
I dont see many Alto K10 and new Wagon R on Bangy roads and was surprised where they really sell, untill I was in my home town few months back. I see lots of K10 and new Wagon R there. According to me TOYOTA is the company that can beat Maruti's monopoly in Kerala, but looking at their production constraints it looks like a distant dream.
Old 1st February 2011, 16:49   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
It's sad to see a nice cars like the Aveo,U-VA, Optra, Jazz, the ever practical logan selling in small numbers while the far outdated Amby sells in 3 digit figures.
Logan sold 1120 units which is pretty decent and in line with M&M's own target of 1000+ :-)
Quote:
The Chevys which have a lot of potential badly need their prices to be cut down, and refreshed a bit.
Right. UVA with those amber glass on turn indicators simply looks outdated. A refresh is all it needs.

Quote:
I don't see why people prefer the Indigo over the Logan which is a better package IMO.
Indigo looks contemporary, has better interiors, and has perceived certainity (A.S.S.) associated with it. On the other hand, Logan looks dated, too boxy, and its future does not appear certain in long term as cars are not M&M's cup of tea.
Old 1st February 2011, 17:06   #52
BHPian

Great work GTO for bringing these consolidated figures so soon.

People feels Nano is back on track. But seeing Indica selling 10K+, there is a lot more expected from Nano with aggressive marketing started recently.

A welcome relief for FIAT and as expected by many. People worrying about FIAT's future in India can see FIAT sold 2174 units with only half the number of models against Skoda at 2825. Everyone cannot be market leader and you dont need to be market leader to sustain in a market

Good to see Etios getting featured in the list. Way to go for this "made for india" sedan.
Old 1st February 2011, 17:09   #53
BHPian

City twice as much Vento!

Good to see Indica back with 5 digit figures.

I was told the waiting period for Ikon at Coimbatore region is 3 months and the dealers are short of the vehicles. Can somebody throw some light? I think all the capacity is utilised for Figo.
Old 1st February 2011, 17:22   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saugdas View Post
On the flip side, I will express my happiness that Vento has made Honda reduce it's cheating efficiency on the public. ANHC was the least value for money car a quarter back.
+1 to that. I dont know why I always have this haunting feeling that Honda exploits the Indian consumer more than any other Japanese car maker, despite their excellent products.

Last edited by Amartya : 1st February 2011 at 21:07. Reason: Fixed the quote
Old 1st February 2011, 17:25   #55
BHPian

- Many cars have shown a sudden surge of sales. Mostly due to the factor that people wanted to book in the new year.
- The numbers of Polo and Vento has "exactly" swapped from last month (Dec).
- High time for Ikon to get major revamp. Infact, this might be the right time to do so (with right when they have gained good trust in market by Figo (close to a year).
- Optimistic numbers for Volvo XC60.
- Yeti just might do the same what Superb did, in long run. Skoda should be optimistic.
- Somehow it seems that all "practical" tagged cars have sold more than usual. Still I'll wait for the data of luxury/sport cars (Merc, BMW etc).
- Finally some good numbers for Nano. New marketing helping Tata.
- City continues to blast all cars in C Segment.
Old 1st February 2011, 17:42   #56
Senior - BHPian

Nano is slowly coming up the ladder. Soon we are going to see lots of Nano's on road for sure. Tata are marketing Nano very aggressively. Its showing with there numbers. In next three to six months Nano will cross 10,000 mark of monthly sales for sure. There 4 yrs warranty package seems to be working. Also delivery is readily available now, So its a plus point.

Best of luck TATA.
Old 1st February 2011, 17:44   #57
Senior - BHPian

thanks GTO

i can see Tata Safari numbers going up, thats good.

And can we have the breakup of Alto figures "Alto : 33118"

Alto + Alto K10
Old 1st February 2011, 17:57   #58
BHPian

Happy to see the FIAT's are BACK on Road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
Just a small query - from Where are these palios getting sold . I heard FIAT has stopped production of palio around 6 months back . are these were lying in dealer yards?
I think most of the Dhamaka Offer's Palio's were offered in January.
Old 1st February 2011, 18:26   #59
Senior - BHPian

The City figures shows that its really is the segment leader no matter what. Also a prime example of how desirable Honda cars are here in India and just a small discount can do wonders to its sales. Jazz though is not applicable to this idea as even after massive discounts its still way over priced.

Good to see the Punto climb to 1000 cars. It surely deserves a lot more. Can we have a break up of the Linea between Tjets and the rest.

I guess a lower number for the Vento is plainly due to people not ready to wait too long. If it was available off the shelf it will be a lot closer between the City and the Vento.
Old 1st February 2011, 20:26   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

While a lot of people have commented on how Vento doesn't seem to denting ANHC's sales, it's interesting to note how the Vento is steadily gaining on its sibling the Polo's volumes:
Month: Polo | Vento | Total
aug 10: 3211 |0 |3211
sep 10: 2891 | 1364 | 4255
oct 10: 2344 | 1615 | 3959
nov 10: 1975 | 2413 | 4388
dec 10: 2356 | 3160 | 5516
jan 11: 3023 | 2308 | 5331

We know very well that VW is still grappling with supply problems, but if you compare August volumes (the month before Vento launched) to January's, the Polo has barely moved. While there have been months where the VEnto has thumped the Polo!

I remember someone saying VW is betting big on Vento as its cash cow in the Indian market. If this continues, I see a steady state volume of about 3500 for the Polo and 4000-4500 for the Vento. Guess who laughs all the way to the bank!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed