Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Have you driven a non Demo vehicle.
Yes, I have and its not my fault and the dealer should take care. 42 27.27%
No, I have not come across such a vehicle 60 38.96%
I have driven but will ensure I dont do it in the future. 28 18.18%
No, I have refused to drive such a vehicle. 24 15.58%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2009, 16:48   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd de Souza View Post
In another thread, I have given my TD impressions on the NHC Vtec. The car which was brought for the TD was a temp. registered car. The odometer(digital) showed 102 km and for the entire duration of the TD(5km), did not change. On questioning the sales person, he said that this was not the official TD vehicle(which had gone elsewhere for a TD) and the odo was disconnected. I have found this quite rampant and my hunch is that these cars get sold to an unsuspecting buyer. I consider this unethical...and more so was disappointed to note that a Honda dealer was resorting to this.

Any views?
I think this may be happening with the Cruze as some dealers are yet to get test-drive vehicles. For example, I has asked the sales representative of the Chandigarh Cruze dealer to give me a test drive but he told me that they did not have a TD car. Two days ago he called me and said that I could test drive the car but I would have to come to the showroom. When I showed surprise he told me that as they did not have a TD car, he could not bring the brand new Cruze to my place as they were giving test drives only near the showroom. This, I feel, indicates what this thread is all about.

Last edited by ivar1951 : 6th November 2009 at 16:50.
Old 6th November 2009, 17:00   #77
BHPian

Test drove the Getz acouple of years ago. After the drive started the sales rep sitting next to me told me it was about to be delivered to a customer.

Didn't want to drive it after that and in any case the guy himself suggested we go back after a very short drive as fuel was low.

To be fair to them I think they only gave it to me because they knew I had been waiting for a couple of weeks to get a Getz to test drive.
Old 6th November 2009, 17:37   #78
BHPian

I had driven a Fabia 1.4 MPi at TAFE Access, Bangalore in early 2008. I had waited for a long time and finally was offered a TD on a brand new car. At that time I had no idea they didn't have official TD cars and that the car I drove was meant to be delivered to a customer.

Two things happened after the TD. I decided to stay away from Skoda petrols and eventually all Skoda dealers.
Old 6th November 2009, 19:22   #79
BHPian

I took TD of Ritz, i10 and Fabia few weeks back.
Ritz (Aalianz Automobiles, Safdurjung Enclave): was a proper Demo car with Stickers.
i10 (Hyundai Samara, Lajpat Nagar): Had its speedo disabled, with temporary registration.
Fabia (Continental Auto, Defence Colony): The TD vehicle was sent to my home 2-3 hrs after visiting showroom as they didnt had that time. It was looking relatively new car - still having white protective stickering, polythene protected seats, had 250+ KMS on ODO, left ORVM was missing(broke-off).
Could have been a New Vehicle or from a Service Center.
Just by chance I also noted down its VIN code as all skoda cars have it tagged near bottom-right windshield.
So Im Putting it here:
VIN: TMBAHK5J99G012405, a black Classic 1.2 HTP.

Hope it does not belong to anyone here.

I am new to cars, so didnt know this could be reason behind speedo not working etc.. Later realised the real reason after 2-3 days of the TD.
Old 6th November 2009, 19:31   #80
Senior - BHPian

Simple. Go to the dealer at a time when you haven't booked the test drive. Do it a few times and if you come off as a serious buyer, the unscrupulous dealer will give you another car while a good guy won't. This tells you whether the dealer normally gives non demo cars for TDs.
Old 6th November 2009, 20:29   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post

Though not ethical it is not too much a worry if a car has been driven around by say 5-10 persons for a total of about 100kms. Yep there is an effect as these would be new drivers (for that car) and they may do wrong gear driving and emergency braking tests, but cars can still take this.
Any buyer will not like others laying hand on his/her car. Whether it's 5-10 persons for 100 or so kms or 2-3 persons for 10-15 kms. New cars of today can withstand abuse, true. But it's more of a mental satisfaction than anything else.
Old 28th January 2010, 12:29   #82
BHPian

How to ensure you are not buying a TD mule ...

"By turning the steering wheel, engaging and disengaging the clutch (if it has one) and moving the gearlever through the ratios - all on the dealership’s showroom floor if need be - it’s possible to get a basic feel for a car without even driving it.
Listen out for strange noises and pay attention as to how these controls feel and perform. The brake pedal, for instance, should offer good resistance and not sink most of the way to the floor when pressed.

Why not rock the steering wheel gently while watching the front wheels. Ideally, there should not be any noticeable delay between steering and wheel movement. Have a good look at the condition of the driver’s seat and inspect the pedals and tyres for wear.

Such stringent inspection should already be common practice among used car buyers, but more vigilance in this regard won’t hurt, even when buying new.
After all, nobody wants to be saddled with a lemon. "

SOURCE - Clock turns on shady car deals Autodealer.co.za - Used vehicles | New car prices | Motoring editorial
Old 28th January 2010, 13:50   #83
BHPian

The other day I asked Farenheit Motors, Delhi, for TD of the Skoda Superb but they could not keep the appointment as their TD vehicle developed a snag. But to my surprise, the next day they brought a brand new Superb, with the top half covered in tape, for TD. It was not a TD vehicle but meant for delivery to a customer!
Old 28th January 2010, 14:22   #84
BHPian

3 days back i went for the td of hyundai i20 in chandigarh .none of the three dealers had a test drive vehicle .when i asked them why they said that we sell our demo cars as company allows us , at a discount of 15 to 20 k rupees as they are not driven much .and since we have not got a demo vehicle for 2010 we cannot give u a td. i never that it was a company policy always thought it was dealer discretion to sell the demo and td vehicle
Old 28th January 2010, 15:39   #85
BHPian

When I bought my Linea it had 173 kms on the odo. Before delivery when I went to the dealer to have a primary inspection it had only 43 kms on the odo. During delivery I asked them how did this car run an extra of 130 kms. They said it was for doing PDI. Since I have not seen any white Linea as a test drive car I accepted it. The car was 2.5 months old when I bought it. But there were some scratches on my key, dashboard, a little dirt on front seats etc.. Till now I have not seen a test drive Linea at Hyson motors. But they have a Punto with the stickers. But at least I am happy that they had not disconnected the odo in my car. But my Linea at present has many problems and I don't know whether these problems have any relation with these stories.
Old 28th January 2010, 16:17   #86
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

yes I certainly have test driven a NON DEMO vehicle - but I consider myself a good driver who cares for the vehicles being driven.

Frankly I think that the dealer should ensure this practice is guarded against by ensuring availability of Demo vehicle at all times.

I would certainly not wish to buy a vehicle which has been test driven by a lot of people I dont know and who may not be able to drive properly in the first place.

I say this is clearly the car company and the dealer's responsibility - to ensure they give prospective buyers a TD only in a Demo vehicle. To add to this, these DEMO vehicles also need to be serviced and looked after properly, by the dealer. Last point and important point, when the vehicle is being given for TD, the dealer has to ensure that there is enough fuel in the tank!

maybe the car companies should ensure that NON DEMO vehicles and DEMO vehicles which are used for TD are sold to consumers at a considerably discounted rate.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 28th January 2010 at 16:28.
Old 28th January 2010, 16:20   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

I have refused to take test drives if they do not have dedicated test drive vehicles. I generally avoid such showrooms.
Old 28th January 2010, 16:30   #88
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Last point and important point, when the vehicle is being given for TD, the dealer has to ensure that there is enough fuel in the tank!
Shankar,

I almost fell prey to this 5 years ago when I was TDing a Santro. The car had very little petrol and the sales guy who offered me the car said that since their accountant is on leave that day, they can't fill petrol and since I was insisting on a TD, I will have to fill it myself.

I walked away from that dealer and finally bought it from another Hyundai dealer in BLR.

Regards,
gpa
Old 29th January 2010, 10:05   #89
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
How to ensure you are not buying a TD mule ...
Sorry to say, but those points have little value in modern cars. Modern cars that feel / behave exactly the same even after many kms of abuse.

Want to avoid buying a TD car? Refer to Our PDI Checklist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTX007 View Post
When I bought my Linea it had 173 kms on the odo. Before delivery when I went to the dealer to have a primary inspection it had only 43 kms on the odo. During delivery I asked them how did this car run an extra of 130 kms. They said it was for doing PDI.
Your dealer has lied to you. There is no PDI that requires 130 kms of driving. In fact, most PDIs today entail less than 1 km of testing (that is, if the car is driven at all in the first place).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
The car had very little petrol and the sales guy who offered me the car said that since their accountant is on leave that day, they can't fill petrol and since I was insisting on a TD, I will have to fill it myself.
That guy really doesn't know how to sell cars, does he? Asking customers to pay for the petrol in a TD car!
Old 29th January 2010, 10:16   #90
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

This happened to me too when I test drove a Scorpio about 2.5 years ago at one of the Bangalore dealers.

I did see the tank was nearly empty and asked the chap accompanying me but he said that there would not be a problem etc. Foolishly taking his word for it I drove it out and about 5 kms later the vehicle simply shut shop on me.

Of course I dropped the vehicle right there with the showroom chap, took a rickshaw back to the dealership, blasted the living daylights out of them and then made them pay for the auto fare just to teach them a lesson.

Same as you, I didnt finally buy the vehicle from that dealer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Shankar,

I almost fell prey to this 5 years ago when I was TDing a Santro. The car had very little petrol and the sales guy who offered me the car said that since their accountant is on leave that day, they can't fill petrol and since I was insisting on a TD, I will have to fill it myself.

I walked away from that dealer and finally bought it from another Hyundai dealer in BLR.

Regards,
gpa

Most Viewed