Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2011, 09:41   #46
BHPian

Re: *SCOOP* : New Hyundai Sonata / i45 caught testing on Bangalore-Chennai Road

i45 - International Car of the Year

Hyundai I45 Named 2011 International Car Of The Year :: PaddockTalk :: F1, Formula 1, NASCAR, IndyCar, MotoGP, ALMS, And More!

Hyundai Motor Company's i45* has received the honour of being awarded the 2011 International Car of the Year (ICOTY) by Road and Travel Magazine at the North American Auto Show in Detroit. The ICOTY Awards recognise vehicles based on lifestyle compatibility and the emotional connection between car and consumer.
Old 7th February 2011, 09:52   #47
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2010 Hyundai Sonata/i45 -*UPDATE* Indian Scoop pics Pg.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Will be available from the following colors

Black diamond
White crystal
Sleek silver
Hyper metalic
Dark gray
Remington red
Espresso
Blue black
Noble white

Engine options

Gasoline engine 2.0 [(1998cc) Theta-II MPI engine]
Gasoline engine 2.4 [(2359cc) Theta-II MPI engine]
Gasoline engine 2.4 [(2359cc) Theta-II GDI engine]
*SCOOP* : New Hyundai Sonata / i45 caught testing on Bangalore-Chennai Road-2011_hyundai_sonata_actf34_fd_702104_815.jpg

Shades

*SCOOP* : New Hyundai Sonata / i45 caught testing on Bangalore-Chennai Road-untitled1.jpg

Dimensions

*SCOOP* : New Hyundai Sonata / i45 caught testing on Bangalore-Chennai Road-untitled12.jpg

Engine:

Theta-2 MPI 2.0:
  • 1998 cc
  • 165 ps@6200 rpm
  • 20.2 kg-m torque@4600 rpm
Theta-2 MPI 2.4 dual VTVT:
  • 2359 cc
  • 178 ps@6000 rpm
  • 23.3 kg-m torque@4000 rpm
Theta-2 GDI 2.4:
  • 2359 cc
  • 201 ps@6300 rpm
  • 250 NM torque@4250 rpm
*SCOOP* : New Hyundai Sonata / i45 caught testing on Bangalore-Chennai Road-2011_hyundai_sonata_actr34_fd_702102_815.jpg

Wildon, are these specs correct? And will all 9 shades plus three engine options be available in India?
Old 7th February 2011, 12:28   #48
Senior - BHPian

I prefer hyundai continue with the "i" badging in india and discontinue the other brands such as elantra/sonata. Launching the new cars under the Sonata/Elantra brands isnt going to do them any good no matter how competitive the price is. These brands firmly represent failure irrespective of what the cars offered.

On the other hand, they have built up solid momentum with the i-brand and people associate this brand with good build, tons of features, fresh designs and reasonable price (premium). It makes no sense to stop this branding with i-20 and not take it all the way. I believe that i-brand has the strength to break the old 10+ lac jinx for Hyundai.
Old 7th February 2011, 16:18   #49
BHPian

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang is STRICTLY prohibited on this community. We would much appreciate your using full & proper English in posts, for the benefit of other forum users.

Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 8th February 2011 at 19:00.
ahmed26 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 7th February 2011, 17:19   #50
BANNED

fantastic design!! hopefully this will help Hyundai break in to the >10lac sales with good numbers. I hope they have the sense launch petrol and diesel versions simultaneously!
Old 7th February 2011, 17:27   #51
BHPian

My oh my, its finally made it to our shores. First caught the car in the run up to the Fifa World Cup where Hyundai was one of the official sponsors.
I've got to say, a lot of other manufacturers have tried to keep a constant theme in their cars across segments, but Hyundai with their fluidic sculpture design has been exceptional. I love how the new 2011 Verna and Sonata look & the pics highlight how amazing it looks.

Just some hope on my part that Hyundai goes all out, launches it competitively like Chevvy did with the Cruze. Release the diesel and petrol variants, pack it up with kit & for god's sake, get an automatic here pronto. I beg them, not to pull off a Kizashi here by pricing themselves out of the competition !!
Old 7th February 2011, 18:55   #52
R17
BHPian

When the Sonata Embera was on its last legs, I remember Hyundai launching one version at a sub-15 L price. Obviously, this is just wishful thinking for this time around what with the i45 being so much more superior and Honda having raised the pricing bar for D segment saloons, but its one of those practically impossible thoughts that leave with you with a and a

Does anyone have a concrete idea of the Launch Plans of the i45 ?

While it would be a fascinating launch, the fact that the i45 was roaming about undisguised as opposed to the heavily cladded (and certain to be launched) Verna makes one wonder whether there is an imminent launch on the cards or is it just some sort of a testing exercise.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 7th February 2011 at 20:56. Reason: please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 7th February 2011, 19:12   #53
Senior - BHPian

i45 will surely come, but later. The RB will come first.
Old 7th February 2011, 19:19   #54
R17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
i45 will surely come, but later. The RB will come first.
Right. And any ideas on the tentative launch dates for the i45 ?
Old 7th February 2011, 20:47   #55
Senior - BHPian

I do not think Hyundai India will be launching any Diesel motors as of now as there are none in the i45 / Sonata portfolio across the world, as far as I know.

But this car should do what Cruze did for GM, and perhaps what Fortuner did for Toyota? If priced well, and also with good features this should be something in the D segment that might lead the pack and perhaps get into a tough fight with the Superb?

Also any idea if it will be CBU? CKD? and when exactly is the launch taking place?

Regards,

Just read sid's post after I posted, so Sid you sure about it being launched after the RB? Why do late considering this came out long back, and honestly now I think most cars which come out in India at par with their global launches do a lot better as most Indians travel a lot esp in this segment and they do know whats new? Or perhaps trying to increase localisation for better costs? Or better still waiting for a nice diesel engine?

Last edited by S350L-E240 : 7th February 2011 at 20:51.
Old 7th February 2011, 20:56   #56
Senior - BHPian

Ask Hyundai for that, why "after" the RB. They took 3 years to launch the santa fe after all...And on the other hand, they want volumes in the C segment and demolish the Honda city.
Old 7th February 2011, 22:44   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitaparadh View Post
FYI..
this new Sonata is #1 best seller in US, beating the likes of Accord and Camry.

Its packed with features and base model starts around $19k.
It is not the number 1 seller in 2010 - it is at number 10. You might be talking about a specific month?

Having said that, it is still a very impressive jump - it was not even in top 20 before the new model was launched. I like the looks of new Sonata, not very sure about Elantra, though - looks too jazzed up to me for a car that size.

Source: The Year's Bestselling Cars (ABC)

Last edited by SunilM : 7th February 2011 at 22:49.
Old 7th February 2011, 22:47   #58
Senior - BHPian

Its such a nice move by Hyundai going for the kill on the 9+L segments.
Consider this, first they try thier hand with i20 once that clicks, they bring it the Santa Fe.
Later going for the kill with i45 and Verna RB almost same time. They are making sure they have a presence felt by the time the biggies are here.
I mean the Kizashi / Global Fiesta other biggies.
A very thought process I wish them luck, the products look stunningly nice. Any similarity with thier successful i20 is purely intended.

The only part left was the 600cc for which also they have an answer, if India is going to be third in world by 2015, they want to make sure Hyundai is on top of this market.
Old 7th February 2011, 23:27   #59
BANNED

Re: 2010 Hyundai Sonata/i45 -*UPDATE* Indian Scoop pics Pg.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Wildon, are these specs correct? And will all 9 shades plus three engine options be available in India?
Frankly saying, I don't know. But one thing is sure this car having all those bells and whistles.

1. Cruise control
2. Panoramic Roof option
3. Hydraulic Power steering (The enthusiasts here will love it).
4. TPMS
5. Engine Start/Stop button
6. Keyless entry with Smart Key
7. Power Seats with memory , etc.. etc...

and some cool features from RB which we already discussed.
Old 8th February 2011, 01:55   #60
BHPian

Here are the specs from Hyundai in New Zealand:

The compression ratio looks too high for a petrol 14.5 .

*SCOOP* : New Hyundai Sonata / i45 caught testing on Bangalore-Chennai Road-picture-1.png

Also note the combined fuel economy looks impressive for the 2.4 liter GDI at 7.9L / 100KM i.e. around 12.65 KM/L .

*SCOOP* : New Hyundai Sonata / i45 caught testing on Bangalore-Chennai Road-picture-2.png

i45 New Zealand Brochure: i45 Brochure.pdf

Source: New 4 Door Sedan | Ideal Business Vehicle | Hyundai i45
Closed Thread

Most Viewed