Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2011, 18:31   #91
Team-BHP Support

Re: *SCOOP* : New Hyundai Sonata / i45 caught testing on Bangalore-Chennai Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by camchennai View Post
I seriously don't understand why Camry, Accord and Mondeo are brought in to picture. Also I don't how many of them have driven a Camry, Accord and Mondeo for long term to compare it with i45.
Very true, currently when the segment is talked about, most of the time Accord is compared with the Superb, or maybe with a Teana - Camry is not being being in the equation (maybe being a CBU, and nos. sold are nothing to talk about).
And then Mondeo. Even though not sold in India, Mondeo is talked about as a wonderful car - almost like a poor man's 5-series (for its handling).

Quote:
Originally Posted by camchennai View Post
We are talking about a car which is going to be launched here in India for Indian roads so let’s forget about US roads and their infrastructure
Definitely, but how does a CBU Camry gets better suited for Indian roads?

I have nothing against the Camry. Its a very well-appointed car. But having sat in both Camry and i45, and I should that i45 is a much more pleasant place to be in.
Just for reference, here are the links to an i45 road test, and a comparison with Camry (from a well known Singapore online publication).

i45 Road test in Oneshift.com
Hyundai i45 2.0 GLS (A) 2010 Review & Road Test - Oneshift.com

i45 v/s Camry
Toyota Camry 2.4 (A) 2009, Hyundai i45 2.4 GLS (A) 2010 Review & Road Test - Oneshift.com
Old 13th February 2011, 01:04   #92

On a visit to the US in September last year, I drove this car for a month. The new Sonata I got from Avis had about 1000 miles on it. I got it after the Chevy Impala they first gave me developed some issues ( had a check engine light or something)

After the Impala, the Sonata seemed a bit underpowered on the freeways, but I don't think that will be a problem in India.

Other than that, the car was a beauty. Drove smoothly, powerful audio system, fantastic climate control, and very sexy looking..

Wonder how much they will price it here, but if it's in the Jetta range, it's a winner.

Here are some pics of the car that I had for a month. Like a short lived love affair, I often think of this beauty
Attached Thumbnails
*SCOOP* : New Hyundai Sonata / i45 caught testing on Bangalore-Chennai Road-hyundai.jpg  

*SCOOP* : New Hyundai Sonata / i45 caught testing on Bangalore-Chennai Road-hyundai2.jpg  

*SCOOP* : New Hyundai Sonata / i45 caught testing on Bangalore-Chennai Road-hyundai3.jpg  

Old 13th February 2011, 08:50   #93
BHPian

Is that only me or anyone else feels the same...Hyundai designs are always a 'lift off' from the best sellers...

Sonata Embera from Old Accord
Refreshed i10 tail light cluster a lot like DZire

and now this one...frnt grille almost like new Honda City, tail light cluster a mix of Cruze and a BMW...the overall shape resembles that of a Merc...
Old 13th February 2011, 11:24   #94
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Post Deleted. Please do not spam with one-liners which add absolutely no value to the thread. Spamming is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 14th February 2011 at 01:15. Reason: See Moderator note in post.
Old 13th February 2011, 11:34   #95
Senior - BHPian

I definately agree with you here. Not all hyundai designs are lift off's though. Its the sonata in particular, where hyundai designers seem to take inspirations from best sellers. The first sonata was a blend of merc and jag. The second sonata has the honda accord tail lights. And now this beauty has the best of bmw and merc combined. They have actually done quite a great job here and the car looks absolutely stunning.
[/b][/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegularIndian View Post
Is that only me or anyone else feels the same...Hyundai designs are always a 'lift off' from the best sellers...

Sonata Embera from Old Accord
Refreshed i10 tail light cluster a lot like DZire

and now this one...frnt grille almost like new Honda City, tail light cluster a mix of Cruze and a BMW...the overall shape resembles that of a Merc...
Old 13th February 2011, 12:39   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegularIndian View Post
...the overall shape resembles that of a Merc...

+1 I was oblivious to this car before it launched, i saw one on the road and just thought mmm must be a new merc, looks the goods It looks great on the road.
Old 13th February 2011, 20:16   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
I definately agree with you here. Not all hyundai designs are lift off's though. Its the sonata in particular, where hyundai designers seem to take inspirations from best sellers. The first sonata was a blend of merc and jag. The second sonata has the honda accord tail lights. And now this beauty has the best of bmw and merc combined. They have actually done quite a great job here and the car looks absolutely stunning.
[/b][/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulstar View Post
+1 I was oblivious to this car before it launched, i saw one on the road and just thought mmm must be a new merc, looks the goods It looks great on the road.
I thought new E class tail lamp looked similar to earlier Sonata's tail lamp.
Attached Thumbnails
*SCOOP* : New Hyundai Sonata / i45 caught testing on Bangalore-Chennai Road-mb-e.jpg  

Old 13th February 2011, 21:49   #98
BHPian

Hyundai is probably the best copycat designer in the market and have tremendously improved over the time. also since the new sonata is in the new hyundai world cup promo ....maybe its release is just around the corner.
Old 13th February 2011, 22:01   #99
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2010 Hyundai Sonata/i45 -*UPDATE* Indian Scoop pics Pg.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post
The Hyundai i45/Sonata is a larger vehicle compared to Civic/Cruze, so it's safe to assume that it will be competing in a higher segment. It is surely gonna kill the Kizashi which will be its direct competitor and will also affect the Accord/Superb sales to some extent if priced right.
I think anything can kill a Kizashi. Maruti is making another mistake imho. And the Sonata in turn will get killed by a drunk monkey. Sad. Because both are good cars.

In any case, if that is the new Sonata I would say lovely backside, but the nose job sucks.
Old 14th February 2011, 00:58   #100
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai sponsored Football world cup 2010.

Hyundai is sponsoring ICC cricket world 2011.

lots of money has gone into a lot os big advertising by hyundai, its the fourth largest OEM on this planet.

copying or not, they are firing all cylinders and japanese are damn scared of them!
Old 14th February 2011, 11:21   #101
Senior - BHPian

Maruti has put in half baked effort in launching Kizashi. It shows lack of confidence in management. They are happy to spec it in a mysterious domain. above than Civic/Altis/Laura (engine wise) and yet leave a lot to be desired from in taking the game upto Accord/Camry/Superb.

Hyundai if desire to make its mark has to do it with this vehicle else Honda and Toyota will start flexing its muscles once again.
Old 14th February 2011, 12:37   #102
R17
BHPian

ACI snapped up some more images of the test mule on the Bangalore Chennai road - while frequent sightings cant be a bad thing, I just cant wait to get more clarity on the exact launch date :-

Old 14th February 2011, 16:56   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Maruti has put in half baked effort in launching Kizashi. It shows lack of confidence in management. They are happy to spec it in a mysterious domain. above than Civic/Altis/Laura (engine wise) and yet leave a lot to be desired from in taking the game upto Accord/Camry/Superb.

Hyundai if desire to make its mark has to do it with this vehicle else Honda and Toyota will start flexing its muscles once again.

Im absolutely confident that Hyundai wont pull a Maruti on this car. They will price it in the Accord/Superb Domain but they will load the car with all the gizmos. The car has the looks to beat the accord and superb IMHO. The Kizashi could have also come with a Sunroof, Rockford Fosgate sound system, 3 years warrant and a diesel engine (am i being stupid here) and been competitive against the accord and superb.
Old 14th February 2011, 21:30   #104
Senior - BHPian

Thats one stunningly designed car by Hyundai. Hope they get the pricing is right, and hope Hyundai bring it with a good and powerful diesel engine (which they are good at) which would make it a big hit in the indian market. From design and styling point of view the car sure is a killer.
Old 15th February 2011, 12:09   #105
Senior - BHPian

^Not really Nikhil

I think if Hyundai is really concerned about longterm gains then they should place Elantra/i30 below Civic and kill ANHC pricing and be the game changer for D segment and similarly a i45/Sonata at Kizashi price (which should be actually at Civic pricing) and give nightmares to Accord/Superb. That is the only way people (not enthusiasts) will ever buy Hyundai at those levels.

The perspective of the buyer at that price point is not bargain but badge value. Hyundai and Maruti have to play it all out else conservative strategy wont lead them anywhere.

Well if VW can provide killing pricing then why not the big S and italicized H.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed