Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2011, 12:41   #106
Team-BHP Support

Re: *SCOOP* : New Hyundai Sonata / i45 caught testing on Bangalore-Chennai Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
^Not really Nikhil

I think if Hyundai is really concerned about longterm gains then they should place Elantra/i30 below Civic and kill ANHC pricing and be the game changer for D segment and similarly a i45/Sonata at Kizashi price (which should be actually at Civic pricing) and give nightmares to Accord/Superb. That is the only way people (not enthusiasts) will ever buy Hyundai at those levels.

The perspective of the buyer at that price point is not bargain but badge value. Hyundai and Maruti have to play it all out else conservative strategy wont lead them anywhere.

Well if VW can provide killing pricing then why not the big S and italicized H.
Longterm gains are true, but I guess Hyundai will not undervalue their product just to kill Honda City. I guess the Verna / RB launch in around the corner, to address that segment. i30 and Avante are entirely different models. Avante / Elantra should be rightfully competing with the likes of Corolla Altis, Civic etc, and i45 in the Accord / Teana / Superb segment.
I doubt if they will plan i30 for India, as we are yet to get warmed up to big hatchbacks.

The above mentioned cars can do well if they price those models aggressively in the respective segments (read as lower end of respective segments). Thats normally their success mantra in many markets.
Old 15th February 2011, 12:55   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Its a bit toooo curvy !
Old 15th February 2011, 14:48   #108
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Its a bit toooo curvy !
Yes, it is overdone like a Chevy Beat, IMO.
Old 15th February 2011, 14:58   #109
BANNED

New Thinking. New Possibilities

Old 15th February 2011, 15:12   #110
PPS
Senior - BHPian

From certain angles this looks more like a Merc CLS! Especially the side profile.
Old 15th February 2011, 22:03   #111
Senior - BHPian

@vb-san: I hope you did not think I was pointing to undersell but price it realistically. Hyundai can't claim to be a Honda. We in India still do not get the same quality as US/EU. Thus my 2cents to keep them at right price point else it will suffer, we have seen that pricing does matter and even for Honda, not being able to push Jazz and the perceived value of Superb over Accord. Cheers!
Old 15th February 2011, 23:24   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

I have seen this car in person and believe me this car has the presence i never ever felt on a Hyundai car. I feel Hyundai should also get the new Tucson at similar prices to previous Tucson to India.
Old 16th February 2011, 00:48   #113
Senior - BHPian

IIRC, so far the diesel has not been launched in any of the markets?

Just the 2.4 GDI and the 2.0 GDI turbo.
Old 16th February 2011, 05:09   #114
Senior - BHPian

I see the new elantra and sonata everyday here in US - and believe me - its stunning !
To all those who are doubtful over it's looks/stature - it would blow you away.
Hyundai has done a wise job doing away with the sonata name in India, sticking to the 'i' series.
Old 16th February 2011, 07:51   #115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@vb-san: I hope you did not think I was pointing to undersell but price it realistically. Hyundai can't claim to be a Honda. We in India still do not get the same quality as US/EU. Thus my 2cents to keep them at right price point else it will suffer, we have seen that pricing does matter and even for Honda, not being able to push Jazz and the perceived value of Superb over Accord. Cheers!
Completely agree with you there. What I have seen is that Hyundai (in other markets), does not even pretend to compete directly with Honda or Toyota. They normally place their model in the lowest price range in respective segment, and attract buyers who are looking for extreme VFM options. What they (along with KIA) have started doing from the past year or so, is to bring in very pretty looking cars, and I can see that the popularity is growing immensely.
And along with that, companies like Honda are passively helping them by over-pricing some of their models (say how the i20 benefited from the launch of Jazz in India)

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I have seen this car in person and believe me this car has the presence i never ever felt on a Hyundai car. I feel Hyundai should also get the new Tucson at similar prices to previous Tucson to India.
Very true! The i45 is one of the better looking car from the Hyundai stable. And agree with Sahil… It’s a bit too curvy (and that’s the case of Avante as well). I will say the new styling mantra of Hyundai is a bit too feminine – just my personal opinion
Old 16th February 2011, 12:38   #116
Senior - BHPian

Just returned from Singapore and saw a couple of Sonatas. Its an unbelievable piece of art and its huge! Trust me it attracts more attention than a 5 series or a E Class and thats coming from someone who has a mental block when it comes to buying a hyundai. I just cant get the Hyundai is a cheap car maker out of my head, i really need to as Hyundai has really taken the game ahead of the Japanese veterans.
Old 16th February 2011, 12:43   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^Not really Nikhil

I think if Hyundai is really concerned about longterm gains then they should place Elantra/i30 below Civic and kill ANHC pricing and be the game changer for D segment and similarly a i45/Sonata at Kizashi price (which should be actually at Civic pricing) and give nightmares to Accord/Superb. That is the only way people (not enthusiasts) will ever buy Hyundai at those levels.

The perspective of the buyer at that price point is not bargain but badge value. Hyundai and Maruti have to play it all out else conservative strategy wont lead them anywhere.

Well if VW can provide killing pricing then why not the big S and italicized H.
Very well put sir. At a lower price point than its immediate competitors, it will surely make a huge dent. But im skeptical about that, i still feel with the stunning styling, Diesel engine and no new immediate competitor in sight they could price it at competitor levels and sell the car. Of course badge value is nowhere near Honda or Skoda in India and the volumes will continue to be with them unless Hyundai undercuts.
Old 16th February 2011, 12:50   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
Just returned from Singapore and saw a couple of Sonatas. Its an unbelievable piece of art and its huge! Trust me it attracts more attention than a 5 series or a E Class and thats coming from someone who has a mental block when it comes to buying a hyundai. I just cant get the Hyundai is a cheap car maker out of my head, i really need to as Hyundai has really taken the game ahead of the Japanese veterans.
It is known as i45 here. Sonata name is reserved for Taxis only now (previous Gen).
I have posted a link of a local road test + photos in one of my previous post. Quite a looker from Hyundai, I must say!
Old 16th February 2011, 14:19   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
It is known as i45 here. Sonata name is reserved for Taxis only now (previous Gen).
I have posted a link of a local road test + photos in one of my previous post. Quite a looker from Hyundai, I must say!
Yes they are called I45s in Sing. The previous gen sonatas are taxis using the crdi engines and boy are they good or what. (also the kia optimas which are rebadges sonatas with some cosmetic changes)
Old 16th February 2011, 14:53   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
Yes they are called I45s in Sing. The previous gen sonatas are taxis using the crdi engines and boy are they good or what. (also the kia optimas which are rebadges sonatas with some cosmetic changes)
Oh yes... They are pretty cool isn't it. So much that my 2.5 yr old daughter now refuse to get into the old Toyota crown taxis

On the KIA Optima... slightly in disagreement here. The new Optima is a completely new design, and looks quite elegant (exactly opposite to the flamboyance of i45). Maybe they share the same engines. I will say, the similarity is more like how Audi VW and Skoda share components and platforms. Just my 2 cents!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks