Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2011, 14:41   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How many cars actually seat 5 in comfort?

The accord isn't a bad 5 seater either
Old 7th February 2011, 14:52   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
The Palio did seat 5 in comfort.
Off the current lot, I'd reckon that the Manza might be able to seat 5 in comfort.
+1

I just had a short drive from a nearby auditorium to my house with 6 adults and three Kids on-board in my Palio. It seats 5 very comfortably.

Last edited by clevermax : 7th February 2011 at 14:55.
Old 7th February 2011, 14:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Superb
Honda Civic
Tata Indica

Good
City
Sonata

Decent
Laura
Jetta
Old 7th February 2011, 14:58   #19
Senior - BHPian

In my opinion it is difficult to comfortably seat 5 adults in any car that does not have a flat floor for the rear passengers. I am not sure which cars have such flat floors. Swift does not have a flat floor. So seating five adults for short distances are ok. But definitely not very comfortable for long distances.
Old 7th February 2011, 14:59   #20
Senior - BHPian

The 3 of us that sat in the Linea rear seat were not comfortable, maybe due to the lack of shoulder room; I would like to say we are normal sized (beer bellies dont affect shoulder room!). In terms of space comfort in the < 10L range, I think Manza/ Vista is best followed by the Logan.
For the i20 and Jazz, the person seated in the middle is not so comfortable
The Fiesta and Figo are tight fits and not so spacious in the rear. the SX4 may just be able to accomodate an occasional 5th person, but long drives could be an issue.
For the Swift, a 5th person in the rear is claustrophobic for all the 3 people

Last edited by selfdrive : 7th February 2011 at 15:16.
Old 7th February 2011, 15:18   #21
Senior - BHPian

Very nice thread.
I can only think of Tata Indica family satisfying the criteria sub-8 lac rupees.

Without the intention of hijacking this thread, which car's rear bench allows for two adults + 1 child sitting in a child car seat?
Old 7th February 2011, 15:28   #22
Senior - BHPian

Well, the Logan is very good too, on this front. Really gives a lot of shoulder room on the rear seat. I regularly do trips of 120+ kms to and fro, with 6 adults and no complaints.
Old 7th February 2011, 15:31   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Well, the Logan is very good too, on this front. Really gives a lot of shoulder room on the rear seat. I regularly do trips of 120+ kms to and fro, with 6 adults and no complaints.
You mean to say 4 adults sitting at rear seat comfortably.?
Old 7th February 2011, 15:42   #24
BHPian

Quite surprised to see many cars getting listed. Not sure of all those, however, it goes without saying that 3 people at the rear is no problem with Manza.
Old 7th February 2011, 15:43   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Skoda Superb
Honda Civic

Good
City
Sonata

Decent
Laura
Jetta
See, that is what I mean VW 2010, In spite of paying INR 20 lac, I need to compromise on the ability of seating "5" people in comfort. So, even if I have two friends coming down and we intend to go out together with my wife and kid(typical Indian family), I need to think. This is what hurts.
Old 7th February 2011, 15:59   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
See, that is what I mean VW 2010, In spite of paying INR 20 lac, I need to compromise on the ability of seating "5" people in comfort. So, even if I have two friends coming down and we intend to go out together with my wife and kid(typical Indian family), I need to think. This is what hurts.
Unfortunately this will be the case for most of the sedans - whether it cost 5 lakhs or 50 lakhs. Even in a 5-series, there could be sufficent shoulder room, but the huge transmission tunnel will rob the comfort.

For me, a sedan is essentially a 4-seater, with the option of having a 5th passenger for shorter drives

Anyway, to answer your question, I guess the Toyotas and Hondas can seat 5 people in reasonable comfort - thanks to the almost flat floor.
Old 7th February 2011, 16:17   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This situation happens once a year. If it happens two often the intention of picking a Innova or Aria or Xylo makes more sense.

Even the X1 or the Yeti does not seat 5 comfortably. E class or the 3 series does not sit 5 people comfortably.

Personally the middle part of the rear seat will always be uncomfortable. Even in superb one will have enough room to sit but compared to the corners the middle seat will always remain uncomfortable.

Again personally I feel cars are meant for 4 grown adults and a kid to travel comfortably. MUV's with captain seats may help carry 5 adults comfortably.

If the middle person gets an arm rest then I would vote that particular car or that suv to be best for sitting 5 people. Till then taking 5 adults in a car or SUV is only based on situation and need. Comfort is a sacrifice the 5th person has to make in such situations.
Old 7th February 2011, 17:13   #28
Senior - BHPian

Our U-VA can fit 3 in the back comfortably.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 7th February 2011, 17:36   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I can't think of any car that does not scrape speed breakers; the fault lies in the stupid and unscientific way in which they are built.
The IKON and the Fiesta, are cars which don't get too low. They also got pretty good clearance. Actually, last three months, I'v been to Bangalore about 7 times in my IKON, and not even once have I scraped her belly. All trips includes atleast 3-4 passengers.

Regarding seating 5; spacewise, my IKON can seat 5, but the seats are designed in such a way that the rear middle passenger lacks adequate support. Can be discomforting over long distances.
Old 7th February 2011, 17:53   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
The IKON and the Fiesta, are cars which don't get too low. They also got pretty good clearance. Actually, last three months, I'v been to Bangalore about 7 times in my IKON, and not even once have I scraped her belly. All trips includes atleast 3-4 passengers.

Regarding seating 5; spacewise, my IKON can seat 5, but the seats are designed in such a way that the rear middle passenger lacks adequate support. Can be discomforting over long distances.
I don't mean they scrape all the time; one has to go slow over speed breakers. Probably Ford cars have more ground clearance.

It's with my Corsa too; it is a 5-seater but there are head-rests just for 2; so the person in the middle wouldn't be exactly comfortable. It is pretty manageable though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks