Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2011, 14:39   #76
Senior - BHPian

Comfort is a very relative word. Cannot measure it. what might be comfortable to one person may not be comfortable to another person.

Even the C-class cannot comfortably seat 5. All cars are for only 4 adults. 5th is always a compromise. In some cars, compromise is more, in some, compromise is less.
Old 31st October 2011, 14:52   #77
Senior - BHPian

Re: How many cars actually seat 5 in comfort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
My recent experience with Toyota Etios Liva show that it can seat 3 full sized adults comfortably at the back.

The was the USP for my father in law when he purchased the car last month.
+1 to that. And there is no transmission tunnel protrusion like the Polo which makes it uncomfortable for the middle passenger.
Old 31st October 2011, 20:05   #78
BHPian

Mahindra Logan/Verito has the widest rear seat in the business this side of an E Class.
Find below the rear seat width for some cars . Source ACI Oct 2011 issue:

Mahindra Verito/Logan : 141 cm
Toyota Etios: 137 cm
Toyota Altis:132cm
Tata Manza:137 cm
Chevy Optra Magnum: 135.5cm
BMW 3 series :138 cm
New Ford Fiesta:124 cm
Fiesta Classic :130cm
Honda City(latest edition): 135cm
Honda Civic : 132 cm.
New Hyundai Verna:130 cm.
Maruti sx4: 131.5 cm
Maruti Dzire: 129 cm
Merc C class: 137 cm
Merc E Class : 144cm
Renault Fluence: 133 cm
Skoda Laura : 136 cm
Sokda Superb: 138 cm
VW Vento: 132 cm
VW Passat: 135 cm

Last edited by JediKnight : 31st October 2011 at 20:08. Reason: VW Passat width was incorrect
JediKnight is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2011, 22:15   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
Mahindra Logan/Verito has the widest rear seat in the business this side of an E Class.
Find below the rear seat width for some cars . Source ACI Oct 2011 issue:

Mahindra Verito/Logan : 141 cm
Toyota Etios: 137 cm
Toyota Altis:132cm
Tata Manza:137 cm
Chevy Optra Magnum: 135.5cm
BMW 3 series :138 cm
New Ford Fiesta:124 cm
Fiesta Classic :130cm
Honda City(latest edition): 135cm
Honda Civic : 132 cm.
New Hyundai Verna:130 cm.
Maruti sx4: 131.5 cm
Maruti Dzire: 129 cm
Merc C class: 137 cm
Merc E Class : 144cm
Renault Fluence: 133 cm
Skoda Laura : 136 cm
Sokda Superb: 138 cm
VW Vento: 132 cm
VW Passat: 135 cm
Like my manager says....everything is data. These numbers give us a very clear picture and make it easy to make a decision. Thanks JediKnight
sumeshmani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2011, 03:33   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
Like my manager says....everything is data. These numbers give us a very clear picture and make it easy to make a decision. Thanks JediKnight
Everything is NOT data, especially if related data is not available. Just citing legroom numbers mean zilch if the width of the bench is not taken into account (which directly affects under-thigh support), along with squab angle and other ergonomic datums.

There are design choices, such as 'should we cocoon 4 passengers' - thereby raising the section of the backseat where the middle passenger can sit - or should we try and 'accommodate 5 people in reasonable comfort' - have a flatter bench. Cars like the SX4 have a raise middle portion of the backseat, that along with the armrest makes it quite uncomfortable for the 5th passenger, where as the Logan (Verito..) has relatively flatter seats, truly comfortable for 3 people at the back.

While the Indica (old) had fabulous legroom, I've always found the under-thigh support to be lacking (in it's segment it was still king). The Manza and the Vista have actually improved on it and now have great back benches.
Amartya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2011, 09:22   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
The comfort level to seat 3 passenger also depends on the design of the door. In some doors there will be a outward curve which will give comfort/space to our legs. Some doors have bottle holders on both the doors which will be a discomfort for 3.
Old 26th November 2011, 12:23   #82
BHPian

The other day, I when and checked Nissan Sunny. I really do think it can seat my family of 5 comfortably. The middle seat on the rear bench is quite good; the arm-rest did not poke into my back. Note: My family members and I are less than 6 feet tall. I could not take a test drive to check if the AC combined with the rear-fan create a comfortable environment.
Old 26th November 2011, 21:58   #83
BHPian

Vista seats five comfortably
Old 26th November 2011, 22:46   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Everything is NOT data, especially if related data is not available.

There are design choices, such as 'should we cocoon 4 passengers' - thereby raising the section of the backseat where the middle passenger can sit - or should we try and 'accommodate 5 people in reasonable comfort' - have a flatter bench.
On a related note, both the Accent and the latest Verna have more 'head room' at the rear seat than the Ikon and the Fiesta (and the Linea), but this has been achieved by reducing the height of the seat bench. Now, this is an "either-or" design choice because with a lower seat bench the extra headroom for the taller person will be useless if the rear seat bench is low enough to cause a knee-ache.
Old 26th November 2011, 22:55   #85
BHPian

Most Tata cars (Indica and indigo series,safari) can seat 5 people comfortably.
Logan is one more car that has got great rear seat.
Old 27th November 2011, 03:08   #86
Team-BHP Support

6 pages in, and not one person has mentioned the Jazz!

I know, I risk sounding like a fan-boy again, but seriously. It's not because I own and drive one on a regular basis, one must get into the rear seat of the Jazz to understand the kind of space it has. It can put most sedans to shame!

Yes, the rear-bench does lack adequate support, but there is so much space, that inside the city, 3 people would be more than comfortable at the back. Despite the fact that the seat can be folded.

What according to me is the criteria that a car needs to meet, for one to judge the rear-bench space?

- A Flat Floor: Most cars have this massive tunnel right in the middle. It makes life pretty uncomfortable for the 3rd passenger. The Jazz has a flat-floor.

- Supportive Seat: The rear seat of the Jazz isn't really supportive, but it isn't bad at all, and is quite comfortable. It could have been better, but then the practicality of the folding-seat would be lost, in an attempt to make it more contoured.

- Sheer Space: Now, I can sit comfortably at the back of my Jazz and stretch my legs, and the front seat will not foul with my knees or feet, despite being set right to the back.

- Airy & Roomy Feel: It's imperative that a 5 seater must give the feeling of airiness. Even if the car has loads of space at the back, a small window or nearly non-existent quarter-glass will give passengers a claustrophobic feeling and thus make them uncomfortable. The Jazz ticks this box too!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th November 2011 at 03:09.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2017, 12:13   #87
BHPian

Hi ,

This is a very important and interesting topic but the posts are very old and are outdated. Can people once again contribute their thoughts and experience as per the current lot of cars available in market today.

regards
Amol
Old 27th March 2017, 12:24   #88
Senior - BHPian

I think we should also not forget the door pads design. Many cars have thick door pads with nice designs and integrated arm rests or with grab handles etc due to which the corner two people sit inwards squeezing the middle passenger.
Old 27th March 2017, 12:40   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolathalye View Post
Hi ,

This is a very important and interesting topic but the posts are very old and are outdated. Can people once again contribute their thoughts and experience as per the current lot of cars available in market today.

regards
Amol
Owner of Tata Zest here. I travel almost always with 2 adults and 1 kid (7-year old) at the rear seat. Seating 3 people comfortably at the rear was my requirement when I was shopping for a car last year. So far, my rear seat passengers have never complained of lack of shoulder or leg space. Over 10,000 kms and many of them are long out-of-town journeys. Hope this helps. Zest does miss out on rear AC vents. Also, the transmission hump is not the lowest of its kind.

Only other cars that I found (within my budget of 7 lakhs) to satisfy this criteria was the Etios Liva. (Of course Tata Bolt too)

Last edited by srvm : 27th March 2017 at 12:42.
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2017, 22:32   #90
BHPian

As an owner of Vitara Brezza, I can say this with conviction that it comfortably seats 5 adults of average height and body proportion.

Most Viewed