Team-BHP - Indica Resale!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Indica Resale! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/9641-indica-resale.html)

dear friends,
i'm a resident of Bangalore. i have bought indica v2 DLG in July 2005 and i have used it for approx 8.5k kms. it has given a good performance.
now, i'm going abroad for a year or two, i want some advice.

1. is it better to keep the car without using it. (i mean, somebody will keep it regularly maintained through service and starting once in 15 days or so)
* what are the problems that could arise if we don't use it for long!

2. if i sell it now, i will loose huge amount (around a lac rupee). people are demanding it for 3.5 lac. i paid 4.52 lac + extra fittings (stereo) about 14k ; so in total 4.68 lac. what would be the best price to sell? (remember its a DLG variant)

can anyone guide/help me?

regards,
Rajesha.

Parking your car for 2 years will ruin it. When you come back it will sell for 1.5 lakh. Better to sell it for around 3.60. Go to smaller towns like mysore etc., you get better value there.

Just starting the car occassionally won't do any good. To keep it in good condition, one must run it frequently. If you can find some reliable friend/relative that will be best.

Will you use the same car when you'll come back from abroad? If yes, then better keep the car.
Otherwise probably better to sell it now rather than after in 2 years (you don't know what will be the car's condition then)

First of all, your car is 6 months old. That should mean a depreciation of around 15% in the value (as per the norms). Now this depreciation is always calculated on the Ex-showroom price and not On-road price. So that means taking the price to be around 4.2 to 4.25L the reduction in value works out to 63000+ (almost 64k). So work that out now.

However the other side of the story is that you probably approached the used car dealers. They always give you much lesser price. I suggest that if you really want to sell it off then follow a different route. Try some of theseThis way you can expect around 4L (close if not exactly that figure) for your car quite easily.

However having said that I would say if you are not very keen on selling it off and want to keep it then remember the following.
  1. I hope you are pretty sure by when you will return back. Remember that if you keep this car unused for 2 years or so you will have a new car (or rather unused car) which would nonetheless keep further its loosing resale value.
  2. If you want to keep the car then there should be someone who will drive it on a regular basis.
  3. One of the biggest problems will be with the batteries. If a car is left standing for long the battery terminals should be left opened.
  4. Battery will need to be charged periodically. One of the best ways to do it is to drive the car once in a while for 8-10 kms. Else in every three to four months you will need to get it charged.
  5. Take care of the tires. It is better if they are moved a little (that is the car is rolled) once in a while.
  6. Park the car in a shaded place and wipe it on a regular basis. Take care of the rubber parts like the weather strip, wiper blades etc.
There are many such small dos. I am sure there will be others which fellow members will be able to add to it.

Now here is an aside to this whole thing. Suppose there is no one who can drive the car at home in your absence and you do not want to sell off a new car at such a massive loss. Check the options of keeping a part-time driver. Here in Hyderabad a part-time driver costs something like Rs.2000 a month. This way over a period of 2 years your family will be able to use the car in your absence, your car will remain well-maintained and the net outgo will still be much less than the loss you will suffer if you sell it off now. Think about it ;)

Place an add at indiaconnect.com for free. Else I am ready to keep it with me..
:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zappo
Check the options of keeping a part-time driver. Here in Hyderabad a part-time driver costs something like Rs.2000 a month. This way over a period of 2 years your family will be able to use the car in your absence, your car will remain well-maintained and the net outgo will still be much less than the loss you will suffer if you sell it off now. Think about it ;)

agree: THis seems to be a better option. Even I am contemplating on the same thing now.

:thumbs up Surya

i say sell it. buy the new car when you come back. or even if you go for 1 year old indica you will get it for same value. So i say sell it.

Sell the car,man. Since ur indica has done just 8000 kms in around 6 months.U'll get a fantastic offer. Put word in all the major dealers in town. U can expect the deal to go off at 3.7 to 3.9 lacs.Good luck,maN

Post the car details at the market place in our forum.U'll get hott offers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zappo
Now here is an aside to this whole thing. Suppose there is no one who can drive the car at home in your absence and you do not want to sell off a new car at such a massive loss. Check the options of keeping a part-time driver. Here in Hyderabad a part-time driver costs something like Rs.2000 a month. This way over a period of 2 years your family will be able to use the car in your absence, your car will remain well-maintained and the net outgo will still be much less than the loss you will suffer if you sell it off now. Think about it ;)

Considering the car is a diesel, I dont think this is a good option. There is no point in using the diesel car (that too a Tata) moderately for 2 years... I would say Sell.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnu
Considering the car is a diesel, I dont think this is a good option. There is no point in using the diesel car (that too a Tata) moderately for 2 years... I would say Sell.

You are right. It is only the middle of the road solution I gave him. The best will be to give it sometime and effort. I am sure his brand new car will sell for much more than what he is currently getting.

By the way, my father-in-law has a V2 diesel that is more than 3 years old. He has driven it some 18-20k or so... Now for that kind of driving you will say that it is never worth the diesel. We all will. However as it turns out he is damn happy with the car. Only problem it has given him till date (out of the two or three denting-painting jobs) is once recently when it popped an oil seal and oil started gushing out from under the bonnet. And once earlier he had a problem with the AC gas leak. Thats all!!! Howzzat for all our calculations? :D