Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2011, 21:34   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Report & Pics: Mercedes launch the G55 AMG (G Class) in India at 1.10 Crore Ex Mu

Quote:
Originally Posted by shk 8896 View Post
According to me it looks a bit like force gurkha from front.The bonnet looks as it is a straight lift from tata sumo .But the starfish alloys are great.Maybe the best off roader from Mercedes .The problem is that this car does not have the sheen of other mercedeses.But the price is a bit too steep.The positive is that this SUV has a lot of tech!
Thanks to Tata's and Force motors love affair with Mercedes, the G class seems a bit local for the price.
But the truth as you said is that this is one of the most competent 4X4 in the world.
And the design being a classic is preserved. Just like the 911.
Old 14th February 2011, 21:35   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Report & Pics: Mercedes launch the G55 AMG (G Class) in India at 1.10 Crore Ex Mu

Frankly there are better options for 1.1Cr Exshowroom. It looks DUD, and looks does matter when one spends so much $. Other than a die-hard fan, why shouldnt one look at Audi and BMW's options which look lot more 'i have arrived'?
Old 14th February 2011, 21:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Dippy for this. It might be powerful while driven but not really impressed by the looks. The front as mentioned resembles TATA Sumo and i thought the side profile resembles Bolero. The best package were the wheels. Look awesone. But i really doubt it is going to have many takers for 1.1 Cr
Old 14th February 2011, 22:13   #19

I absolutely love this car....Timeless design. Love the spare wheel cover.

BTW...Check out this link. A military concept of the G-wagon. I saw this pic sometime last year and it has been my laptop wallpaper ever since.

Mercedes-Benz G-Wagon LAPV 6.X Concept ready to blitz the front — Autoblog

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please note that it is now imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP) to view our simple help article on uploading pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Report & Pics: Mercedes launch the G55 AMG (G Wagen) in India at 1.10 Crore Ex Mumbai-140845.jpg  

Last edited by Technocrat : 15th February 2011 at 00:46. Reason: PIcture uploaded to TBhp, check the note in your post, thanks
Old 14th February 2011, 22:16   #20
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot Dippy for the stuff, one of my all time fav vehicle.G class is not a vehicle for a Bling Bling lover or show off crazy. Its subtle looks offer elegance and class. Person like me, if given a option would anyday choose it over any AUDI or BMW.
Old 14th February 2011, 22:35   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
At last the real proper Mercedes-Benz "SUV" has arrived.
anyway the cheaper variants expected soon to make it a real fighter(in sales) especially the v8 420cdi engine

Yep, the G class is a kinda classic product that has a huge and fanatic fan base.
Mr Debashis told me that they wouldnt be able to introduce the high end diesel engines yet because of the quality of diesel available yet. Surprising since Audi sell a 4.2 TDI here

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Frankly there are better options for 1.1Cr Exshowroom. It looks DUD, and looks does matter when one spends so much $. Other than a die-hard fan, why shouldnt one look at Audi and BMW's options which look lot more 'i have arrived'?
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Thanks Dippy for this. It might be powerful while driven but not really impressed by the looks. The front as mentioned resembles TATA Sumo and i thought the side profile resembles Bolero. The best package were the wheels. Look awesone. But i really doubt it is going to have many takers for 1.1 Cr
This isnt a car which has mass appeal. A person who buys a G55 AMG will buy one only because he knows what that car is. Someone who is aware of its legendary legacy. This is definitely not a poser car. Its for the hardcore off road enthusiast and lover of old school styling. The G Wagen design is 30 years old. I dont think DUD would be a word I would use.

For those who want to 'arrive' yes the Audi Q7 , BMW X5 and the likes will do just nicely and will get looks. The G55 may pass off as a Bolero or a modded Sumo but when its is spotted by a true car guy, thats when you know what the G Wagen really is.

@amitwlele: Just for you an example which highlights your comments. Sometime last year I was driving home on the Western Express Highway and had a building friend with me for company. Suddenly I saw a pair Xenons in my ORVM and as it came up next to me, I heard a growl. I looked to my right and it was a black G55 AMG. He went ahead and I excitedly told my friend 'Look at thattt'. My friend who fairly knows cars said "What? The Bolero?" After hurling some abuses to my friend I caught up next to the G and gave the owner a thumbs up. He seemed very pleased and acknowledged my request for a loud revv and then floored it. My friend was left awestruck.

So as far as takers for this car go, only true hardcore lovers of the G will buy one. IMO the closest competitor to the G55 would be the Cayenne Turbo

Cayenne Turbo - 4.8 V8 twin turbo 500 BHP700Nm torque (0-100 :4.7 secs)
Ex Showroom: 1.56 crore approx

Mercedes G55 AMG - 5.5 litre V8 Supercharged 507 BHP 700Nm (0-100: 5.5 secs)
Ex Showroom: 1.10 crore

As far as looks go, I dont think the Cayenne would win any beauty contests either

Finally would I buy a G55 AMG? Hell YES I would. I would have a fast car and at the same time not get unwanted attention.

The only other SUV I lust for apart from this is the Range Rover. Period.

Last edited by Dippy : 14th February 2011 at 22:39.
Old 14th February 2011, 23:10   #22

+1 to that Dippy. I always liked the understated look of this car. I greatly appreciate the way Mercedes is developing this car (by not changing the design).
Old 14th February 2011, 23:15   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Cayenne Turbo - 4.8 V8 twin turbo 500 BHP700Nm torque (0-100 :4.7 secs)
Ex Showroom: 1.56 crore approx

Mercedes G55 AMG - 5.5 litre V8 Supercharged 507 BHP 700Nm (0-100: 5.5 secs)
Ex Showroom: 1.10 crore
The cayenne is faster than the G? How so despite the G having a bigger engine with slighter more BHP. Is the G heavier than the cayenne?

Last edited by Dippy : 15th February 2011 at 00:20. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 15th February 2011, 00:22   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkydevil View Post
The cayenne is faster than the G? How so despite the G having a bigger engine with slighter more BHP. Is the G heavier than the cayenne?
Yes the G55 is heavier than the Cayenne Turbo

G55 AMG - 2550 kg
Cayenne Turbo 2170 kg
Old 15th February 2011, 00:22   #25
Team-BHP Support

Is it just me, or does it look like a pimped up bolero? Esp for the rear 3 quarter view!
Old 15th February 2011, 00:29   #26
Team-BHP Support

Re: Report & Pics: Mercedes launch the G55 AMG (G Wagon) in India at 1.10 Crore Ex Mu

Man I just love this car, it looks awesome. The rugged, butch looks are great and it is worthy of being called a beast. LOL it looks like a box but will surprise people with the way it moves.

Dippy - You sure the Cayenne Turbo is 1.5 ex showroom? :o That seems a bit too much, maybe its that much on road.
Old 15th February 2011, 00:32   #27
Senior - BHPian

Re: Report & Pics: Mercedes launch the G55 AMG (G Wagon) in India at 1.10 Crore Ex Mu

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Man I just love this car, it looks awesome. The rugged, butch looks are great and it is worthy of being called a beast. LOL it looks like a box but will surprise people with the way it moves.

Dippy - You sure the Cayenne Turbo is 1.5 ex showroom? :o That seems a bit too much, maybe its that much on road.
Yes it sure is. A close friend of mine just bought one recently. Its very expensive . Thats why I said, even at that price the Cayenne isnt a beauty contest winner.
Old 15th February 2011, 03:17   #28
Senior - BHPian

Re: Report & Pics: Mercedes launch the G55 AMG (G Wagen) in India at 1.10 Crore Ex Mu

Nice to see another motoring icon now available in India.However sadly even if the G55 is bought in India,and they will be bought mostly by people who know their cars,i doubt they will ever see much mud or muck in their lives which they are best at!

I remember the top gear episode where richard drove the G55 at full speed through slush and mud during the day and later cruised around the city doing saturday night duty.

Cant help but post some pics of the anniversary specials which they had released some time back,i love the simple look of the cream coloured one.
Attached Thumbnails
Report & Pics: Mercedes launch the G55 AMG (G Wagen) in India at 1.10 Crore Ex Mumbai-g-class.jpg  

Report & Pics: Mercedes launch the G55 AMG (G Wagen) in India at 1.10 Crore Ex Mumbai-g-class-2.jpg  

Old 15th February 2011, 07:12   #29
Senior - BHPian

Re: Report & Pics: Mercedes launch the G55 AMG (G Wagen) in India at 1.10 Crore Ex Mu

nice report Dippy. Videos are good, thanks for uploading them too.

1.1 Cr would be exshowroom, on road would become 1.25 Cr, thats hell costly for a car looking like Sumo.

Anyhow, Mercedes is all out to launch their latest products in the Indian market and one more comes on our shores, all the best to them.
Old 15th February 2011, 07:51   #30
BHPian

As much as I like the G-wagon, the price is ridiculous. I'm sure its a very capable offroader, but I'm sure people can do more offroading, and carry more stuff and people in a Jeep Wrangler unlimited (which costs a fraction, even if imported into India). A friend of mine in Bangalore is getting one shortly from here (so Bangalore BHP-ians be on the lookout for a black JK wrangler unlimited shortly!). The final price, including import taxes, etc etc was around 33 lahks (more than double the original price, but still a fraction of the cost of a G-wagon). I do understand that a Jeep wrangler is not in the same league as a Mercedes Benz, but in this instance, I'd say the Jeep would be the smarter buy.

Which brings me to another point. Why are cars (esp. imports) so expensive in India? We have the same G55 AMG here in Australia for AU$ 180,362 which is equivalent to Rs. 82 lakhs at the current exchange rate. Don't understand why they need to charge another 28 lakhs..which is almost the price of a new Merc C-class!

Most Viewed