Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2011, 07:57   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Report & Pics: Mercedes launch the G55 AMG (G Class) in India at 1.10 Crore Ex Mu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
So as far as takers for this car go, only true hardcore lovers of the G will buy one. IMO the closest competitor to the G55 would be the Cayenne Turbo
Yes Dippy i agree that only hardcore lovers would be inclined to buy this one.

I also agree that Cayene does not win any beauty contests but strictly IMO it has a distinct presence on the road which G55 lacks.

I hope Mercedes have fitted the logos which cannot be stolen. Else someone might end up with a G55 and people thinking it to be a modified Indian jeep (read SUMO or Bolero). I assume the owner would not be perturbed as he would know where his hard earned $$$ have been spent.
Old 15th February 2011, 10:18   #32
BHPian

Re: Report & Pics: Mercedes launch the G55 AMG (G Wagen) in India at 1.10 Crore Ex Mu

I find it quite funny that most compare the G-Wagen to the Sumos and the Boleros whereas G-Wagen's direct descendant lives in the Force Trax Gama/Gurkha. That being said, its not surprising because of lack of visibility of Force products.

Comparing the GWagen to any Sumo/Bolero/Gurkha is like comparing Marlon Brando to Mika ( I would have said a big bollywood name but that would have led to riots

I second Dippy's opinion, those who buy it, will know the legacy, the heritage and the product. I will even add, that those who buy it , don't need to "arrive", for they would surely be the ones who define "arrived" by their own presence

A few pictures of different G-Wagen's , Hope you enjoy them:

Mods: Please delete if found inappropriate
Attached Thumbnails
Report & Pics: Mercedes launch the G55 AMG (G Wagen) in India at 1.10 Crore Ex Mumbai-brabus2.png  

Report & Pics: Mercedes launch the G55 AMG (G Wagen) in India at 1.10 Crore Ex Mumbai-brabus1.png  

Report & Pics: Mercedes launch the G55 AMG (G Wagen) in India at 1.10 Crore Ex Mumbai-old.png  

Report & Pics: Mercedes launch the G55 AMG (G Wagen) in India at 1.10 Crore Ex Mumbai-renn1.png  

Report & Pics: Mercedes launch the G55 AMG (G Wagen) in India at 1.10 Crore Ex Mumbai-renn2.png  

Report & Pics: Mercedes launch the G55 AMG (G Wagen) in India at 1.10 Crore Ex Mumbai-carbon-fibre.png  

Attached Images

Old 15th February 2011, 10:21   #33
Senior - BHPian

Re: Report & Pics: Mercedes launch the G55 AMG (G Class) in India at 1.10 Crore Ex Mu

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post

I also agree that Cayene does not win any beauty contests but strictly IMO it has a distinct presence on the road which G55 lacks.
The Cayenne has presence no doubt and its really scary to see one in your rear view mirror but to be honest, even though the styling on the G55 is old school and bread box like it has huge presence and oodles character. Dont go by the pics. See one in the flesh (if you havent already) maybe it will change your mind.

The debate about the G Wagen, modded Sumo, Bolero and Traxx being similar will never end
Old 15th February 2011, 10:49   #34
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Report & Pics: Mercedes launch the G55 AMG (G Wagen) in India at 1.10 Crore Ex Mu

Dippy, Superb report! Thanks for sharing. I've rated this thread 5 stars.

To me, the G Wagen is the most appealing Mercedes from their entire line-up today. Built with the older philosophy (read = over-engineered), classic looks and oozing with character. Yeah, give me the G over any similar priced SUV from Porsche, Range Rover etc. any which day. This is my pick for 1.xx crores, though I'd honestly be left confused between the G and the mighty Landcruiser 200.

Mercedes should have used any colour, but white! I'm a huge fan of the G, yet will be the first to agree with the Tata / Mahindra comments here. In white, the G55 looks shockingly "local".

It's a great off-roader, no doubt. Question is : Will you risk damaging your 1 crore SUV over rocks, wading through water or deep muck? I don't think so.
Old 15th February 2011, 10:54   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Cayenne has presence no doubt and its really scary to see one in your rear view mirror but to be honest, even though the styling on the G55 is old school and bread box like it has huge presence and oodles character. Dont go by the pics. See one in the flesh (if you havent already) maybe it will change your mind.

The debate about the G Wagen, modded Sumo, Bolero and Traxx being similar will never end
i agree with amit here. This car will find buyers, but not in hoardes (a la Q 7 or the ugly cayene). Indians love imposing / large / good looking cars.

While the G 55 , passes of as a killer off roader, probably the best, but tell me seriously how many people who buy offroaders take their cars off road. They want to set an image, create an distinction, and imho the g55 fails to do so.

the g55 is for inward manifestation rather than outward, in simpler terms, its for the serious serious buyer who wants to buy this car regardless of the way it looks and regardless of its similarities with the bolero (which acc to me are extremely similar) rather than a person who wants to buy a big / imposing looking SUV.

And in India the later outweigh the earlier heavily.

cheers,
ac
Old 15th February 2011, 11:17   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
i agree with amit here. This car will find buyers, but not in hoardes (a la Q 7 or the ugly cayene). Indians love imposing / large / good looking cars.

While the G 55 , passes of as a killer off roader, probably the best, but tell me seriously how many people who buy offroaders take their cars off road. They want to set an image, create an distinction, and imho the g55 fails to do so.

the g55 is for inward manifestation rather than outward, in simpler terms, its for the serious serious buyer who wants to buy this car regardless of the way it looks and regardless of its similarities with the bolero (which acc to me are extremely similar) rather than a person who wants to buy a big / imposing looking SUV.

And in India the later outweigh the earlier heavily.

cheers,
ac
Agree with your observations. You have perfectly defined the Indian buyers mindset in your post. As I mentioned earlier the G55 will have a very niche market. But I think Mercedes has done a good thing by launching the highest model of the G Wagen. If it does do decent numbers, I would really like to see the G350 BlueTec Diesel launched here and it will surely cost much lesser than the AMG but then it will go against its stable mates the GL and the ML Class.

I heard an interesting story about the Tempo Traxx. It seems the Firodia family was travelling somewhere in Africa in a G Wagen. So impressed were they with the car that they came back developed and engineered a car on similar lines and the Traxx was born. If I'm not wrong Traxx engines are Mercedes sourced?
Old 15th February 2011, 11:37   #37
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The Sumo when it came out first was a close look alike of the Merc G Wagon then, though very different in terms of quality. (Just as the Tata Estate was a close look alike of the Merc E - Class Estate then.)

The G Wagon though a very capable vehicle is today a bit dated in both exterior and interior looks department. (though it is quite feature laden on the interior.) Infact like the Landys have moved on to more polished looks so has the G Wagaon in the form of the GL Class SUV, which though boxy looks a lot, lot grander and is quite a competent performer as well.
Old 15th February 2011, 11:42   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
The G Wagon though a very capable vehicle is today a bit dated in both exterior and interior looks department. (though it is quite feature laden on the interior.) Infact like the Landys have moved on to more polished looks so has the G Wagaon in the form of the GL Class SUV, which though boxy looks a lot, lot grander and is quite a competent performer as well.
You are right. The GL Class was actually supposed to be a replacement for the G Wagen but then the fan following made them think otherwise and launch the GL as a separate SUV in itself.
Old 15th February 2011, 12:10   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Is it just me, or does it look like a pimped up bolero? Esp for the rear 3 quarter view!
HeHe, i thought the same yesterday, but didnt bother to post this. Wait for a few years, someone will start modding their bolero's to look like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Will you risk damaging your 1 crore SUV over rocks, wading through water or deep muck? I don't think so.
Actually, in hyd, last year someone got their Q7 (IIRC, or Cayenne) and got it (bashed up) thru pretty bad obstacles. Last month, someone got their Prado for the bangy annual OTR (not 1Cr, but expensive none the less) and got it mighty banged up!!

My point is, things are changing slowly, people are starting to explore the real use of these machines. My initial reaction was because, If I need a V8 to go fast for 1Cr, there are other options. If I need a SUV to do things like OTR'ng there are other options too (1Cr!!), but someone who is a true-blue fan (other words Crazy) only will explore this route.
Old 15th February 2011, 12:21   #40
BHPian

IMO this might just find its place in stately rides replacing the Beemer X5s etc in the cavalcade.

There is a definite buyer segment for this legacy-ridden machine. If looks are concerned, it amazes me across all segments, people have bought WagonR, Bolero, Gypsy, Alto, Innova, Endeavor, Beemer X6 and many more... yes many of these names have imposing presence, but none is a a looker (there is a difference), so will be the case with this G class.

The specs, stance and legacy will definitely pull it off in Indian market and what could be better than buying such a status'que and capable vehicle and yet evade normal eyes in the disguise of a Sumo. Would be waiting to see these participating in Cougar dashes and beating the hell out of porsches... finally something competing to the big Rangie.
Old 15th February 2011, 13:15   #41
Senior - BHPian

Here are a couple of more videos from the event. Adding them to the earlier videos post as well

G55 doing the incline obstacle

G55 doing a sprint on the runway

Old 15th February 2011, 14:01   #42
Senior - BHPian

Malayalam News channel reported that they already got around 15 bookings!
Old 15th February 2011, 14:07   #43
BANNED

Was MB India trying to play safe? That obstacle course is a joke for a machine like that.
Old 15th February 2011, 14:34   #44
AVR
BHPian

Wow! You got to sit in one! Lucky guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It's a great off-roader, no doubt. Question is : Will you risk damaging your 1 crore SUV over rocks, wading through water or deep muck? I don't think so.
That's the whole point about the G. People who buy it over seemingly more "arrived" choices would only be people who appreciate and value a G and such people are highly likely to use it to its best capabilities both on and off the road.

With the launch, I find much greater to reason to work harder in life.

This is IT for me. And, I'll take it in Black please!

Cheers,
Aditya
Old 15th February 2011, 14:51   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Thanks Dippy for this. It might be powerful while driven but not really impressed by the looks. The front as mentioned resembles TATA Sumo and i thought the side profile resembles Bolero. The best package were the wheels. Look awesone. But i really doubt it is going to have many takers for 1.1 Cr
Quote:

This isnt a car which has mass appeal. A person who buys a G55 AMG will buy one only because he knows what that car is. Someone who is aware of its legendary legacy. This is definitely not a poser car. Its for the hardcore off road enthusiast and lover of old school styling. The G Wagen design is 30 years old. I dont think DUD would be a word I would use.
Dippy.

You have said it all.

Military forces of 30+ countries including US, have inducted the legendary G-Wagen in to their stable.

BTW- I simply love G-Wagen because of its boxy styling,you can spot a lot of white G55's in Dubai.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks