Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2011, 13:10   #61
BANNED

Re: Report & Pics: Mercedes launch the G55 AMG (G Wagen) in India at 1.10 Crore Ex Mu

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
When an individual buys a vehicle for a particular price, it is more a manifestation of his/her opinion on the value of the vehicle and not a universal confirmation of the value of that vehicle to all and sundry!
Keeping it to the G wagen. Its value i.e. the intangible bit was never 500 bhp below the hood or 0 to 60 miles in 5.5 seconds.

I would be a dope to first plonk a 500+ bhp engine in a breadbox and then spend insane amount of time and money to stabilize it. AMG should have stuck to what it does best with the engines on the body styles meant for so much power.

What they have done with this is made a vehicle that is neither here (high speed sportscar territory) or there (offroading). It is a splendid piece of engineering but a G Wagen it is not. It just looks like one.

Quote:
All of this jazz my friend drives a lot of vehicle purchases that go beyond the function of transport from point A to point B!
Yes I understand that bit. I am not that sorts, maybe a bit practical and a bit crazy. But not a confused individual yet. Maybe huge lot of money will make me one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
This vehicle is used by militaries of 63 countries and this says it all.

This is the vehicle of choice for expeditions.
The G55 AMG is used by armies and for expeditions? This is news for me. Any links?

Last edited by Spitfire : 16th February 2011 at 13:18.
Old 16th February 2011, 13:25   #62
Team-BHP Support

Re: Report & Pics: Mercedes launch the G55 AMG (G Wagen) in India at 1.10 Crore Ex Mu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
The G55 AMG is used by armies and for expeditions? This is news for me. Any links?
Not sure of 63 countries. But this is what I found with a quick G-search about G-Wagon... Pretty interesting!
Mercedes-Benz G-Class - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 16th February 2011, 13:41   #63
Senior - BHPian

In my opinion there was never any doubts about G-Wagons ability. It is being used by Armies as they would definitely be making use of its capabilities.

I think the point is from a Indian Civilian perspective what is the probability of people spending 1.1Cr on this vehicle considering the other options available.

I think the discussion is similar to why civilian people in India would buy a Hummer? Again a vehicle built for military purpose. I think its an individual's choice with lots of spare cash.
Old 16th February 2011, 13:44   #64
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Not sure of 63 countries.
Yes the G wagen. I am aware of its use.

I am waiting to see which country uses the G55 AMG for its military.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
In my opinion there was never any doubts about G-Wagons ability.
This is not "that" G wagen.
Old 16th February 2011, 14:38   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We are talking about the G-Wagen.

Here you go.

http://www.continentalautomotivegrou...ochure2010.pdf
Old 16th February 2011, 14:43   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes the G wagen. I am aware of its use.

I am waiting to see which country uses the G55 AMG for its military.
Well, I am not sure if any country is using the AMG version for its military. But from what I have read, the AMG G-Class is in the market from 1999.

Quote:
Keeping it to the G wagen. Its value i.e. the intangible bit was never 500 bhp below the hood or 0 to 60 miles in 5.5 seconds.

I would be a dope to first plonk a 500+ bhp engine in a breadbox and then spend insane amount of time and money to stabilize it. AMG should have stuck to what it does best with the engines on the body styles meant for so much power.

What they have done with this is made a vehicle that is neither here (high speed sportscar territory) or there (offroading). It is a splendid piece of engineering but a G Wagen it is not. It just looks like one.

Yes I understand that bit. I am not that sorts, maybe a bit practical and a bit crazy. But not a confused individual yet. Maybe huge lot of money will make me one.
If you ignore the breadbox design, this is something which all manufacturers are following. If AMG is not suitable for the G's body styling, so is the case with X5 M, or even a Porsche Cayenne... And I guess there is a good market for these beasts
Old 16th February 2011, 19:10   #67
BHPian

Superb report sir! Well written. It is actually shocking to know that you didn't end up driving this beast. For a 2.2 ton monster, that car is fast! Period.

But as someone pointed out in the thread earlier, who would actually take it where it belongs? No one will actually dare to take 1.1 crore vehicle off-road. I really don't want this icon to be treated as a *luxury* vehicle. It is brute and belongs off-road.

PS: The G Wagen does not look like the Sumo. The Sumo looks like the G.

Cheers!
Cartman.
Old 16th February 2011, 20:55   #68

A crore for a sumo look alike!

I would love to know who would actually buy this ugly thing.

Has Mercedes gone nuts, or have they taken rich people to be completely over the edge?

And for people who come over to defend it, all I can say is....... enjoy driving it
Old 16th February 2011, 22:19   #69
BANNED

Nice vehicle no doubt!!

But for 1.1crores I expect an Italian kitchen and 3 bedrooms and terrace balcony with jacuzzi thrown in. The wheels can be optional.

the G55 lacks all these crucial features IMHO

Cheers
Old 16th February 2011, 23:04   #70
BHPian

Re: Report & Pics: Mercedes launch the G55 AMG (G Class) in India at 1.10 Crore Ex Mu

This is a perfect vehicle for people with a lot of money and want to buy a very good vehicle and do not like to be the center of attention (maybe from the IT officials too ). Anyway, I am pretty sure the guys who finally buy this will definitely have other awesome vehicles in their stable for the "show-off" factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
But i can imagine myself showing this car to ordinary folks ,"Enthiridai,Sumoye alter cheythu vechiriykana?, enaalum setup thane, saadhanam nalla kwality undu,Benz symbol evidennu kitti?
"Yo, modified Sumo,eh? But it's good,The interiors have nice quality.Where did you get the Benz logo?
LOL. You have hit the nail on the head.
Old 17th February 2011, 10:25   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altaf Petiwala View Post
A crore for a sumo look alike!

I would love to know who would actually buy this ugly thing.

Has Mercedes gone nuts, or have they taken rich people to be completely over the edge?

And for people who come over to defend it, all I can say is....... enjoy driving it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Nice vehicle no doubt!!

But for 1.1crores I expect an Italian kitchen and 3 bedrooms and terrace balcony with jacuzzi thrown in. The wheels can be optional.

the G55 lacks all these crucial features IMHO

Cheers
Am just tired of these.
Guyz, c'mon. This car is a Classic in every sense and also a legend.
Just because our Force motors uses two generation old Merc parts and also Sumant Moolgaokar loved everything Merc ,we Indians are used to see the G class copy-alikes.
It's just like a chinese asking why he should pay more for a corolla which is a BYD F3 look alike.

p.s: thanks @ajman28

Last edited by DicKy : 17th February 2011 at 10:30.
Old 17th February 2011, 10:50   #72
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
This car is a Classic in every sense and also a legend.
Its not a G Wagen in any sense. Its a 500 bhp breadbox on wheels. It cant do 50% of what the legend can. Though it can do one thing the legend cant, i.e. hit 60 mph in 5.5 secs. But then to do that in a breadbox, not likely.
Old 17th February 2011, 15:03   #73
BHPian

All of us can nitpick because none of us can afford a 1.1 Cr SUV.

You have to respect an automobile which has not changed its basic shape and dimensions in 30 years, but is still selling.

Please be assured of the AMG G55's Off Road capabilities. I have seen one ripping sand dunes near Hatta, UAE.

In the Middle East G55 AMG separates the "Me too sheikh" from the real ones.

Indian "Sheikhs" (read Politicians, Film Stars, Miners, tax evading businessmen) can also indulge in luxury offroading now.
Old 17th February 2011, 16:06   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
All of us can nitpick because none of us can afford a 1.1 Cr SUV.

You have to respect an automobile which has not changed its basic shape and dimensions in 30 years, but is still selling.

Please be assured of the AMG G55's Off Road capabilities. I have seen one ripping sand dunes near Hatta, UAE.

In the Middle East G55 AMG separates the "Me too sheikh" from the real ones.

Indian "Sheikhs" (read Politicians, Film Stars, Miners, tax evading businessmen) can also indulge in luxury offroading now.
Well said. Its sad most of the high end off roaders in India just end up chauffeur driven and are taken to socialite parties and movie dos. For those purposes you have the high end luxury saloons. And yes for that reason the elite of the countries may not want to be seen getting out of a bread box looking SUV. They need attention grabbers like the Q7 or the Cayenne. The G55 may not sell as much as these two but there are rich people who know what the car is and will buy it.

Here is a video of the G55 AMG in the desert sourced from YouTube

Old 17th February 2011, 16:47   #75
BHPian

G55 is truly capable vehicle!

0-100 in 5.5 second is truly impressive!

I am a little dissappointed with the looks! as mentioned in the thread, my first reaction was that it looks just like the Trax and the profile is stunning similar to that of the Bolero. I feel that will have a major impact in the sales considering the 1.1cr price tag.

On the brighter side merc will be forced to launch a variant with revised looks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks