Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2011, 17:04   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Report & Pics: Mercedes launch the G55 AMG (G Wagen) in India at 1.10 Crore Ex Mu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia View Post
G55 is truly capable vehicle!

0-100 in 5.5 second is truly impressive!

I am a little dissappointed with the looks! as mentioned in the thread, my first reaction was that it looks just like the Trax and the profile is stunning similar to that of the Bolero. I feel that will have a major impact in the sales considering the 1.1cr price tag.

On the brighter side merc will be forced to launch a variant with revised looks
To put it correctly, the Trax and the Sumo look like the G Wagen and not vice versa. Mercedes wont revise the looks of the G. Just like the Porsche 911, it is a timeless design. Mercedes already has the GL Class which was supposed to be the replacement for the G Wagen but then the fan following would not let the G go into the history books.
Old 17th February 2011, 19:27   #77
BHPian

Re: Report & Pics: Mercedes launch the G55 AMG (G Wagen) in India at 1.10 Crore Ex Mu

I don't know beans about the legacy of G5. But never thought a Mercedes could be so cheap looking.

I am seriously confused as to who the target market is. If I am not an offroader, I wouldn't buy this below average looking car for 1 crore. And If am an offroader, I would think twice about taking such a pricey automobile for my offroad jaunt.
Old 17th February 2011, 19:45   #78
Senior - BHPian

I am really concerned that so many people here compare the timeless and classic G Wagen with our very own Sumo, Trax and Bolero.

When a design in the highly volatile automotive industry is kept unchanged for over three decades and still sells in considerable numbers, that speaks volumes about the greatness of its design. The fact that Mercedes-Benz was not allowed to discontinue the model when it actually wanted to stands testimony to that. To make a similar comparison, take the Tata Safari for instance. After more than 12 years of its launch, it still retains its basic shape and still manages to turn heads, more than what many other modern vehicle manages.

And Mercedes-Benz knows way too well that people who know and love the heritage of the G-Wagen and the potential customers will never mind about these comparisons.

As Dippy rightly said, G-Wagen is like a Porsche 911. It has till now and will in the future withstand the passage of time, a true classic!
Old 17th February 2011, 19:54   #79
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
To put it correctly, the Trax and the Sumo look like the G Wagen and not vice versa. Mercedes wont revise the looks of the G. Just like the Porsche 911, it is a timeless design. Mercedes already has the GL Class which was supposed to be the replacement for the G Wagen but then the fan following would not let the G go into the history books.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
I am really concerned that so many people here compare the timeless and classic G Wagen with our very own Sumo, Trax and Bolero.

When a design in the highly volatile automotive industry is kept unchanged for over three decades and still sells in considerable numbers, that speaks volumes about the greatness of its design. The fact that Mercedes-Benz was not allowed to discontinue the model when it actually wanted to stands testimony to that. To make a similar comparison, take the Tata Safari for instance. After more than 12 years of its launch, it still retains its basic shape and still manages to turn heads, more than what many other modern vehicle manages.

And Mercedes-Benz knows way too well that people who know and love the heritage of the G-Wagen and the potential customers will never mind about these comparisons.

As Dippy rightly said, G-Wagen is like a Porsche 911. It has till now and will in the future withstand the passage of time, a true classic!
Completely agree with you people. The G55 may be slightly expensive but its a Mercedes and a AMG. Speaks enough why it costs a cool crore.

And as for the looks are concerned, the G-Class is one of the real SUVs, among the best out there. People who love SUVs don't go crazy about an Audi Q7 or a Merc GL. Its the Merc G-Wagen, Land Rover Defender that makes the SUV an outright SUV. The Range Rover and the Land Cruisers combine the best of all worlds though and the Lamborghini LM002 is ofcourse a dream. The Merc G doesn't look decades old, but infact the design is generic and hardcore lovers of the vehicle love the classic understated design. Even the Pope rides a G-Wagen.
Old 17th February 2011, 22:32   #80
BHPian

I think we all need to understand that G55 AMG is not meant to set the sales chart afire.

Only people who know the vehicle (with the finances) will buy it.

Usually you see ads for GL in the magazines, the G is advertised very rarely.

If anyone doubts about the G being a modified Bolero/Sumo, the V8 growl will surely clear their heads. (Or another question?...Mast sound hai yaar, silencer phata kya?)
Old 17th February 2011, 22:52   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
If anyone doubts about the G being a modified Bolero/Sumo, the V8 growl will surely clear their heads. (Or another question?...Mast sound hai yaar, silencer phata kya?)
All such doubts and questions will be answered (with conviction at that), when one of those people asking questions ever line up beside the G at a traffic light or get passed on the highway ! 5.5 seconds to 100 is no joke for such a monstrous heavy vehicle!
Old 17th February 2011, 23:18   #82
BHPian

I had owned the G55 AMG for 4 years in Canada and just last summer exchanged with much modern and sporty BMW X5M but i still miss that car. It had presence ,passion and a feeling that you are driving something special,legend and craftsmanship of hand build.We should not compare it with GL or Q7 those are number seller from their manufactures and are family vehicles .

Can have a look the top gear video to know more about G class

Last edited by diecast : 17th February 2011 at 23:28. Reason: to add
Old 17th February 2011, 23:53   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diecast View Post
I had owned the G55 AMG for 4 years in Canada and just last summer exchanged with much modern and sporty BMW X5M
Wonderful, a past G55 owner in the forum!
Did you manage any significant offroad expeditions with your G55? It sure has amazing road presence and you are not out of place no matter where you go!

X5M for a G55 - a worthy replacement if you really don't go offroad. Do you have a Gas Guzzler tax in Canada?
Old 18th February 2011, 00:11   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Wonderful, a past G55 owner in the forum!
Did you manage any significant offroad expeditions with your G55? It sure has amazing road presence and you are not out of place no matter where you go!

X5M for a G55 - a worthy replacement if you really don't go offroad. Do you have a Gas Guzzler tax in Canada?
I owned the car for 4 years and done 145K when i sold it (pics in my BHP garage)

Actually i had some trips off road with friends and family to safari and beach it always been the fav car from all for its capabilities of off-road and high clearance from ground plus best off-road in Canada where i live is in winters is on street because of snow and its prefect for that as well.

Gas Tax - we do have in Canada ,it actually applies to all the cars which have high fuel consumption and pollution ,mostly all V8 and above plus some V6 as well.

I paid 7000$ as gas tax for X5M

Last edited by diecast : 18th February 2011 at 00:13. Reason: to add more
Old 18th February 2011, 00:43   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diecast View Post
I had owned the G55 AMG for 4 years in Canada and just last summer exchanged with much modern and sporty BMW X5M but i still miss that car. It had presence ,passion and a feeling that you are driving something special
Hey, never knew you owned a G55. Now thats nice to have a comment from an owner or ex owner himself. I agree with every word you have used to describe the car. Do tell us more about your ownership experience and what were the key likes and dislikes about the G55.

EDIT: Just saw the pics of your car. That was one killer ride there.

Last edited by Dippy : 18th February 2011 at 00:46.
Old 18th February 2011, 09:20   #86
BHPian

Now who would believe it costs Rs.1.1 Cr, anyone who buys this is advised not to reveal the price as it might kill people (they would die laughing), that is what our Indian market is, it is a fact none can ignore, more hurting for a owner of this is - 'good modification job on your sumo'!!

Even the most hardened fan of G55, cannot own this here in India without being conscious of its looks and the reaction of the people around, so the best they can do is own it, love it in private, enjoy the experience and please ignore any attention that they just might get, cos that attention will not be good for you, it will only be frustrating, if you are determined to prove your point, less you want / will be branded a mad man to buy this at the cost.

For a layman it only looks like a modified sumo upfront and bolero at the back, sadly none will ever go beyond that.
Old 18th February 2011, 09:56   #87
Team-BHP Support

If I have the money, I will definitely buy it. I am not someone who feel that I have to show the crowd that "I've arrived"

How good is that - owning an outstanding machine, without having the trouble of getting unwanted attention. And I can feel happy about the fact that I am pampering myself with an AMG!

Its like buying a watch - A layman may appreciate cheap Casio more than an IWC. But you know the worth of what you're having.
Old 18th February 2011, 10:12   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
If I have the money, I will definitely buy it. I am not someone who feel that I have to show the crowd that "I've arrived"

How good is that - owning an outstanding machine, without having the trouble of getting unwanted attention. And I can feel happy about the fact that I am pampering myself with an AMG!

Its like buying a watch - A layman may appreciate cheap Casio more than an IWC. But you know the worth of what you're having.
That is a valid point. There are people who want to buy a big car to be noticed and there are those who want a big car for their own satisfaction and not for the I have arrived feeling. The G55 falls in the latter category .

For a person who owns a G55, any layman's comments about it being a Sumo or Bolero really dont matter. The 'modded' Sumo will leave many a car eating dust and then the look on these same peoples faces will be well, priceless.
Old 18th February 2011, 11:35   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Its not a G Wagen in any sense. Its a 500 bhp breadbox on wheels. It cant do 50% of what the legend can. Though it can do one thing the legend cant, i.e. hit 60 mph in 5.5 secs. But then to do that in a breadbox, not likely.

It's like saying that the Land Cruiser is not a proper SUV anymore because it's not the FJ40!!!
It has not gone the crossover way or soft SUV. It still remains what it is.
A timeless classic it is and calling it a breadbox is as auto-blasphemy as calling a 911 a car with Amby headlights.
Old 18th February 2011, 12:16   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altaf Petiwala View Post
A crore for a sumo look alike!

I would love to know who would actually buy this ugly thing.

Has Mercedes gone nuts, or have they taken rich people to be completely over the edge?

And for people who come over to defend it, all I can say is....... enjoy driving it
Not sure if you know but nearly 60-65 lakhs from that crore is purely taxes and a considerable amount goes towards shipping and dealer commission. Mercedes probably only gets 25-28 lakhs and at that cost it wouldn't be a bad deal. Wish I was a diplomat and didnt have to pay the taxes. Did I mention that it would be another 10-11 lakhs in registration charges.

Most Viewed