Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2011, 16:15   #16
BHPian

Re: German Cars with HR and CH number plates in Mumbai!

If income tax rates can be uniform throughout the country why can't the road tax be same?

The larger cities which are more congested can charge a separate “decongestion” tax to discourage buyers buying more than one (or may be two) cars.

KA and MH probably have the highest road tax (+ octori) in the country. Other states like AP has very good roads but charge less RT. WB has the worst roads but charges pretty high RT.

IMHO the Govt. should consider making departments like RTO a national entity with uniform taxes and fees and allowing free movement across states. Globalization and IT have increased the number of interstate relocations many fold. RT adds up to the relocation cost, thus increasing the tendancy to evade.

Last edited by .anshuman : 14th February 2011 at 17:04. Reason: Tags removed. Please proof check your post before submitting. Thanks
Old 14th February 2011, 20:51   #17
Senior - BHPian

Not just HR & CH, there's a large number of premium vehicles that run on DN / GJ as well... and especially MP. Of course, many choose to avoid a plate from another state but save some dough just the same by registering in Thane / Pen.
Old 14th February 2011, 22:13   #18
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Add to that Nagaland registered imports too. Some Audis, spiderman's ex Ferrari 360 Spider, lots of premium SUV's have been spotted sporting NL plates. Plus I guess Jharkhand also has a huge tax relaxation. A Figo Titanium Diesel costs just 5.5 lakhs on road in Jharkhand, a Fiat Linea T-Jet Plus costs 9.40 on road and a Tata Safari VX 4x2 costs just 11.5 lakhs on road.
Old 14th February 2011, 23:22   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Two threads that might shed some light :

Fake regn numbers on imported cars

Posted just yesterday :
High court lifts double tax (High Court lifts double tax on imported cars)

cya
R
Rehaan: Chandigarh had computerised its car Regiteration process 8 years ago. My 2005 M800 is with a smart card RC with chip. Fake regn is (not ruled out) but near impossible in Chd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugam View Post
Uptil recently, all of us at Chandigarh paid Road Tax on the basis of seating capacity of the vehicle. For example, a 5 seater car owner would pay Rs 2500 as life time road tax. So, as a result, a BMW 7 and an Indica were charged the same rates.

From this month onwards or probably from the next month, a new policy has come into effect where we pay rates varying from 2 to 4 % depending upon the cost of the vehicle. I guess, this is still one of the lowest in the country.

Don't the cops cause a problem for CH registered cars plying on MH roads?
I have been driving my Ch number M800 since 2005 in Mumbai. I guess its nothing to boast about but just been plain lucky. The only addtional cost is to get new PC every month or two instead of SIX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Yes they do. But as you know, it's only unconnected fools like us who will bear the brunt of these swoops. For example when I moved from Mumbai t Bangalore with my <2yr old Accent many moons ago, the RTO guys caught me and made me pay 47,000+ on the spot or they threatened to impound my vehicle and what not. This is what pisses me off- we pay the full amount mandated and these guys with connections get away scot free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Yes but only if you can prove that you are a visitor to the state and have every intention of returning. In my case they caught me as I was leaving my office parking lot, with my ID hanging from my neck and I never contested that I had actually moved to Karanataka and had every intention of paying the road tax within 6 months. They said, fine but pay it now, or we impound your vehicle.
47K. ... so much for being truthful. Had you told these idiots that you are here on deputaion or something like that, for 3-4 months they would have let you go for mere 500 bucks at max. Pls share of your experince of changing registration process because I'm going through hell just to get my wife's (ironically her Favorite) Kinetic Honda registered here.

Raab Rakha.

Last edited by ariesonu : 14th February 2011 at 23:24.
Old 14th February 2011, 23:27   #20
Senior - BHPian

Well I don't understand what's with the MP-09 reg especially on exotics and supercars? And yeah, I see a lot of Bimmers especially wearing CH nos.
Old 14th February 2011, 23:43   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ From what i have heard the local BMW dealer in Chandigarh takes care of registration process for outstation customers. I know someone who bought a BMW from Chandigarh and got it registered there, he is a resident of Gurgaon.
Old 14th February 2011, 23:53   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Well I don't understand what's with the MP-09 reg especially on exotics and supercars?
MP 09 is Indore, which is one night's drive from Mumbai. When I lived there, it was common to drive to Mumbai from Indore.
Old 15th February 2011, 00:21   #23
PPS
Senior - BHPian

I do not know what the mystery behind MP 09 and DL3CAY plates is, as quite a few imports have these plates. I was surprised to see a Pondicherry registered Maybach in Mumbai , had almost forgotten that such a union territory existed!
Old 15th February 2011, 02:33   #24
BHPian

I have seen same thing in Ahemdabad as well. But the RTO has started cracking down on CH registered cars in Ahemdabad. I personally know 2 friends whose cars were detained by RTO and only after paying taxes, they were released.
Old 15th February 2011, 03:21   #25
BHPian

Few people in TN used to register vehicle in Pondicherry as road tax is less since its a UT, however nowadays cops are cracking down on those vehicles heavily as the government has put strict rule to monitor these vehicle since people are getting away with huge amount of road tax which is suppose to come to government kitty.

Here in Chennai they cross check the address in DL and RC book if the vehicle is registered in Pondy, if the address doesn't match then they charge the owner for road tax evasion.

However, I have heard through my friends that still there are lots of Merc and BMW getting registered there to save few lakhs on tax
Old 15th February 2011, 19:00   #26
A M
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
^^ From what i have heard the local BMW dealer in Chandigarh takes care of registration process for outstation customers. I know someone who bought a BMW from Chandigarh and got it registered there, he is a resident of Gurgaon.
One thing i'm unable to understand is how he managed to produce a valid residence proof of chandigarh. Being in panchkula, we had to get HR plates for our swift as we had no residence proof of chandigarh.
Old 15th February 2011, 22:25   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Add to that Nagaland registered imports too.
I've also observed few Audis, BMWs in Mumbai with NL reg. What's the secret?
Old 15th February 2011, 22:30   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post

47K. ... so much for being truthful. Had you told these idiots that you are here on deputaion or something like that, for 3-4 months they would have let you go for mere 500 bucks at max. Pls share of your experince of changing registration process because I'm going through hell just to get my wife's (ironically her Favorite) Kinetic Honda registered here.

Raab Rakha.
Here it is: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2154591
Old 16th February 2011, 00:17   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A M View Post
One thing i'm unable to understand is how he managed to produce a valid residence proof of chandigarh. Being in panchkula, we had to get HR plates for our swift as we had no residence proof of chandigarh.
I guess one LIC policy should be enough to get it registered, some time back one of my friend who was a bike dealer used to do that if any of his customers doesn't has an address proof.

Not sure what rule prevails in Chandigarh.
Old 16th February 2011, 00:33   #30
BHPian

While I was at Pune, I had seen a lot of outstation vehicles in Pune. It was not just for Imported vehicles, but a lot of hatchbacks can also be seen there. I think the primary reason for this is the IT industry booming in these cities. Lots of people buy a vehicle in one state, and then shift jobs. It does not make sense for them to change registration as they generally change job in 1/2 years. As we know govt never gives back the road tax money. Who would like to pay road tax for vehicle 2 or 3 times?
Government must change its policy to have a uniform system of taxes across states, as well as single registration for the entire country. There is especially a need for this now, as people now a days tend to move a lot from one city to another.
himavanth_m is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks