Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2011, 10:15   #16
Team-BHP Support

re: VW offensive continues: New Passat *UPDATE* Launched starting 20.8 Lakhs Pg.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The upcoming Passat is a classic example for VW's understated designs. I am not a fan of their new face seen on Polo, Vento etc but the overall looks with clean line and perfectly lined proportions certainly look very good. Here i like the new rear end design compared to current Passat.
Yes, and I feel the new face looks better on bigger cars. I feel the front-end treatment gain more character from the Golf range onwards, continuing to Jetta, Passat and the Phaeton.
The design ideology is very similar to what BMW is doing. Like how the new 5 looks closer to the 7, the new Passat really looks like a downsized Phaeton.

Quote:
VW should give us the 170hp version of the current CR TDi engine.
Hope so... I noticed in the UK Website that they're offering the 170hp version with both manual and 6-speed DSG options. Hope they do the same for India as well

Quote:
A car of this price will be compared to BMW 3, Merc C and A4 without a doubt, the 140hp engine might be a deal breaker for lots of prospective buyers.
Yes, price-wise this should be a good competition to the German trio. But if they get it right, they can really shake up the market for the Superbs and Accords.

By the way, the new Jetta has strong design cues of the current A4, especially from the rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Dimensionally there is not too much of a size difference between the new Jetta and the new Passat. However in the US the Jetta has lost some of the premium stuff it used to carry (as against its direct competition in Civic/Corolla). I wonder how the new Passat would be equipped and what trim levels will it come at.
Well, the US-trim Jetta is quite downgraded to capture the 'entry-level' market. I read that they have even changed to offer leatherite insted of premium leather (as a cost cutting measure). But the Euro-spec is quite premium, and thats what Asia will be getting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njh View Post
There is no such thing as a facelifted Passat. The B6 Platform has been phased out. In comes the new B7 Platform. There is nothing in between.
Completely agree. Its not a minor face-lift. The similarity is that the interior looks pretty same as the outgoing model (even though quality is a notch up, and they have managed to release some more interior space).
Old 18th February 2011, 12:30   #17
Senior - BHPian

re: VW offensive continues: New Passat *UPDATE* Launched starting 20.8 Lakhs Pg.5

Quote:
The successor of the Jetta which is called the New Compact Sedan has also been announced and is on sale in north america and should be here in India by year end.
Nope! The successor to the current Jetta is the 'new' Jetta which has already been launched in the US. In fact, the Euro version has come out too. The new compact sedan was a preview to the new gen vehicle. It also was chance for VW to showcase their hybrid progress. Remember, the hybrids are important for the US markets.

As Sid correctly pointed out, we will get the Euro spec model (which is a good thing). Howver, it may also mean that we will not get a version which is has its priced revised downward. In fact, with the Euro version, the price may actually increase..
Old 18th February 2011, 12:47   #18
BHPian

Hopfully the face lifted Passat puts the sales figures of the Passat >100 bracket again! The sales have dwindled in the past 2-3 months.

I feel the 29th March is too soon for the Indian launch also!

Any indicators on the actual launch date and price?
Old 18th February 2011, 13:27   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hopfully the face lifted Passat puts the sales figures of the Passat >100 bracket again! The sales have dwindled in the past 2-3 months.
It is not a facelifted version. It is the next generation car.
Old 18th February 2011, 16:20   #20
BHPian

Pardon me, but isnt the Vento the same car as Jetta in the States ?
Old 18th February 2011, 16:30   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhound View Post
No it is not. The Vento is based on Polo, whereas the US spec Jetta is a all new car. The Jetta expected for India can be a Euro spec car, the US spec Jetta is built to a price lower spec car. The current Jetta we get here is Golf with a boot.

VW needs to take care of the snobbish attitude of the Sales Staff at VW dealerships ASAP.

Last edited by .anshuman : 18th February 2011 at 16:31.
Old 18th February 2011, 16:34   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhound View Post

No sir, not at all. The Jetta in India is the same as the Jetta in USA. Now they have launched a new Jetta in the USA and we will soon see that car in India. The Vento is a Polo with a Boot and the current Jetta in India is a Golf with a Boot.
Old 18th February 2011, 16:38   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
VW needs to take care of the snobbish attitude of the Sales Staff at VW dealerships ASAP.
Couldnt agree with you more. The current attitude of the sales staff at VW while buying even a Passat is more like " We don't really care if you dont buy our car".

I have written a long mail to the sales GM and he has set up an appointment for Monday. Going to meet him and let him know my thoughts about my sales experience.

Currently people dont even know about their service experience. If their sales experience is going to bring more bad news i dont know what to say.
Old 18th February 2011, 19:16   #24
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Any idea on the pricing of the new Jetta? Is it expected to be same/less/more than the current version?

Abhishek.
Old 18th February 2011, 19:30   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any idea on the pricing of the new Jetta? Is it expected to be same/less/more than the current version?
There is no idea about a new Jetta in India. Current speculations include its a US model or it could be the EU model.

VW cannot price is above 19L and cannot price it below 16L(If its a EU version). I am talking about the diesel variant. The Petrol variant on road could be on par with the Honda Civic top end

My guess is that the New Jetta if its a EU version will be priced at 16L EX-Showroom and if its a US version the price would be around 14L Ex-Showroom.(Diesel Variants)

Petrol variant will have engine upgrade and will be priced highly competetive compared to Civic.

The Passat pricing will decide the Jetta pricing. If Passat starts at 20-21 i dont see why VW will price the Jetta at 18 or 19.
Old 18th February 2011, 20:01   #26
BHPian

I would have thought that they would sell the America versions of the New Jetta and Passat in India. While their interiors (specially so the Jetta) and some other components have been down spec'ed in US versions, they have longer wheel bases - features that are highly appreciated in markets like America, China and India. In fact the Chinese version of the new Passat was revealed even before the American version - and it turned out that they were very similar.
Old 18th February 2011, 22:09   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Jetta was a Golf with a boot many years back --- but I have no idea about the intervening models. In UK, the Golf was always the desirable car, with the Jetta having a tenuous hard-to-define place in the market. If you absolutely must have a boot, I suppose you must!

But then, the Golf always was a car with built in desirability. No hatch-back ill feelings there! The Golf GTI was, of course, the hatchback that created hot hatches!

Shall we start taking bets on the delivery of new VW cars in India?

Old 18th February 2011, 22:42   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by njh View Post
There is no such thing as a facelifted Passat. The B6 Platform has been phased out. In comes the new B7 Platform. There is nothing in between.
I am talking about the B7 platform.There is a face-lift Passat.

Firstly there is the passat which we have here,then there is the facelift passat and lastly there is the NMS.
Attached Thumbnails
VW offensive continues: New Passat *UPDATE* Launched @ 20.8 Lakhs Pg.5-vw_passat.jpg  

VW offensive continues: New Passat *UPDATE* Launched @ 20.8 Lakhs Pg.5-2011vwpassat01.jpg  

VW offensive continues: New Passat *UPDATE* Launched @ 20.8 Lakhs Pg.5-passatnms1.jpg  

Old 18th February 2011, 23:13   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goacom View Post
I would have thought that they would sell the America versions of the New Jetta and Passat in India. While their interiors (specially so the Jetta) and some other components have been down spec'ed in US versions, they have longer wheel bases - features that are highly appreciated in markets like America, China and India. In fact the Chinese version of the new Passat was revealed even before the American version - and it turned out that they were very similar.
I am not sure about the Passat but the European spec Jetta comes with the sophisticated Rear Multi-link Suspension Setup whereas the US spec Jetta comes with a more cost effective non independent layout. There must be more differences apart from this and trim levels there must be a lot more differences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
I read is somewhere, Even the all new Passat will continue to have the same underpinnings as the current Passat as VW believes it to be just the right setup, Why fix when it ain't broke?

Last edited by .anshuman : 18th February 2011 at 23:18.
Old 19th February 2011, 08:24   #30
njh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post

Firstly there is the passat which we have here,then there is the facelift passat and lastly there is the NMS.

The Passat in the first picture is the B6 of which i own 3.
The second and third belong to the B7. Trust me, there is no facelifted Passat.
The Passat from the B6 or B7 have not undergone any facelifts yet
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks