Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2011, 16:54   #1
Senior - BHPian

VW offensive continues: New Passat *UPDATE* Launched @ 20.8 Lakhs Pg.5

Note from Mod : Please continue the discussion on The VW Passat Review Thread.

This thread is closed.

Well, I don't know if this is rumour or reality, but ACI has tall claims to make (w.r.t dates). http://www.autocarindia.com/news/new...aunch-march-29

Is this true? If so, this is waaaaay earlier than expected. Maybe even earlier than the new i45. Also, if this is true, then the new Jetta could be on its way too: Again earlier than expected!

Considering the capacity bottlenecks, will they be able to manufacture the Passat on time? Luxury car customers are much different than the mid size car ones, Luxo customers will surely not tolerate any delays!

Last edited by GTO : 11th April 2011 at 14:01. Reason: Adding link to Passat Review Thread
Old 16th February 2011, 17:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: VW offensive continues: New Passat *UPDATE* Launched starting 20.8 Lakhs Pg.5

The passat is a CKD assembly in skoda's aurangabad plant so waiting should not be huge. VW's chakan plants manufacture the polo, vento and fabia. The i45 will come by year end.
Old 17th February 2011, 11:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: VW offensive continues: New Passat *UPDATE* Launched starting 20.8 Lakhs Pg.5

Quote:
The passat is a CKD assembly in skoda's aurangabad plant so waiting should not be huge. VW's chakan plants manufacture the polo, vento and fabia. The i45 will come by year end.
AHA! So, in that case, launching it in relatively short timeline should be doable. Looks like this report has some juice in it.

Do you know if the Jetta is also CKD or is it manufactured in India? I am very impressed by the new Jetta and am waiting for one. The US prices indicate that it may be cheaper than the outgoing model. I have no clue if I am waiting blindly coz if it is priced higher than the current model, I may be priced out of running. Any clue on that?
Old 17th February 2011, 12:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

Jetta too is assembled as a CKD in Aurangabad. US spec jettas are different and come cheap because they are built to a cost and carry cheap suspension design. Euro jettas will be more high quality and come with sophisticated suspension design and its these jettas that will come to India by June-September timeframe. Only similarities betwen the US and Euro Jettas is in the exterior and interior design.
Old 17th February 2011, 12:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

from ACI Website Caught Testing in Pune
Attached Thumbnails
VW offensive continues: New Passat *UPDATE* Launched @ 20.8 Lakhs Pg.5-sp_a0091.jpg  

VW offensive continues: New Passat *UPDATE* Launched @ 20.8 Lakhs Pg.5-sp_a0090.jpg  

Old 17th February 2011, 13:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

Nice !! Very well done VW for being proactive. This car will certainly eat into Superb sales and that may not be the best situation for the VW group overall. The only positive for them is that this car will compete well against the I45 which will most definitely hurt sales in the D segment. (especially the diesel buyers).
Old 17th February 2011, 15:07   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Jetta too is assembled as a CKD in Aurangabad. US spec jettas are different and come cheap because they are built to a cost and carry cheap suspension design. Euro jettas will be more high quality and come with sophisticated suspension design and its these jettas that will come to India by June-September timeframe. Only similarities betwen the US and Euro Jettas is in the exterior and interior design.
Yes, and to add on, apparently there are some Subtle variations in styling between the US and Euro models - different bumpers, different head and tail lamps as well as different colours and finishes for the grille. The euro-spec Jetta is being launched in Singapore around June this year, and the India entry could be around that schedule.

The New Passat looks less rounded and have new VW family face. Looking to see if some of the cutting edge features introduced in the new version will find its way to India.
Old 17th February 2011, 15:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

I created the topic so I shouldn't get off-topic, but even so

I am more interested in Jetta. I posted a couple of queries as well on the International section but to no avail. Anybody has even close to concrete info on when this car could be launched? All I have heard so far are vague speculations. Also, in India, is it expected to cost the same or take a leaf from VW US and priced cheaper?

Back to Passat, I think that somehow the over conservative designs of VW have failed to catch the imagination of Indian buyers. I, for one, like their new design language. Although still understated, they are not 'invisibly generic'. VW should take the initiative and launch an offensive rather than react to it. They adopted a similar strategy in China.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 17th February 2011 at 15:31.
Old 17th February 2011, 17:07   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Back to Passat, I think that somehow the over conservative designs of VW have failed to catch the imagination of Indian buyers. I, for one, like their new design language. Although still understated, they are not 'invisibly generic'. VW should take the initiative and launch an offensive rather than react to it. They adopted a similar strategy in China.
+1 there.

The Vento for instance looks very mature and "comfortable with it's style" so to speak. Such designs age beautifully and are pleasing on the eye. For me the exact opposite would be something like a Verna Transform, which is almost like an ugly old woman putting on half a kilo of make up before that kitty party and screaming "please please look at me".

Not that the current Passat is bad, far from it, it's quite a looker. But I'm really looking forward to the new Passat which at least in the pictures available is quite a stunner in a very classy understated sort of way.
Old 17th February 2011, 21:48   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skjlives View Post
+1 there.

The Vento for instance looks very mature and "comfortable with it's style" so to speak. Such designs age beautifully and are pleasing on the eye. For me the exact opposite would be something like a Verna Transform, which is almost like an ugly old woman putting on half a kilo of make up before that kitty party and screaming "please please look at me".

Not that the current Passat is bad, far from it, it's quite a looker. But I'm really looking forward to the new Passat which at least in the pictures available is quite a stunner in a very classy understated sort of way.

+1 .. and the Verna analogy was spot on!

New Passat looks great! The subtle beauty of VW models is the way to go instead of screaming designs which some cars have now a days. IMO these cars age well, unlike the so called radical designs. Just imagine a 10 year old transform or a new fiesta or even a new Elantra. Just my personal opinion, no offense
Old 17th February 2011, 22:15   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

The upcoming Passat is a classic example for VW's understated designs. I am not a fan of their new face seen on Polo, Vento etc but the overall looks with clean line and perfectly lined proportions certainly look very good. Here i like the new rear end design compared to current Passat.

VW should give us the 170hp version of the current CR TDi engine. A car of this price will be compared to BMW 3, Merc C and A4 without a doubt, the 140hp engine might be a deal breaker for lots of prospective buyers.

Sharing the current car's underpinning the new Passat will continue to have the good dynamics balance of the current car. Good luck VW.

Last edited by .anshuman : 18th February 2011 at 00:19.
Old 18th February 2011, 00:12   #12
BHPian

So is the Jetta coming soon or the Passat? Those ACI pics are the Jetta or Passat? I for one don't think it will be value for money. The Laura itself starts expensive for the diesel. Jetta would be placed higher. Looks like the real fight will still be between the Cruze & upcoming Focus in the under 15lac bracket..
Old 18th February 2011, 01:02   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi1309 View Post
So is the Jetta coming soon or the Passat? Those ACI pics are the Jetta or Passat? I for one don't think it will be value for money. The Laura itself starts expensive for the diesel. Jetta would be placed higher. Looks like the real fight will still be between the Cruze & upcoming Focus in the under 15lac bracket..
Those ACI pics are of the Passat.However that car in the pics is not the all new passat or what VW calls the New Midsize Sedan.This is the facelifted passat based on the current platform.The NMS has just been announced and will go on sale in north america first and rest of the world later.

So i guess 29th march shall be the launch of the facelifted passat.

The successor of the Jetta which is called the New Compact Sedan has also been announced and is on sale in north america and should be here in India by year end.

Last edited by avishar : 18th February 2011 at 01:05.
Old 18th February 2011, 02:02   #14
Senior - BHPian

Dimensionally there is not too much of a size difference between the new Jetta and the new Passat. However in the US the Jetta has lost some of the premium stuff it used to carry (as against its direct competition in Civic/Corolla). I wonder how the new Passat would be equipped and what trim levels will it come at.
Old 18th February 2011, 09:20   #15
njh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Those ACI pics are of the Passat.However that car in the pics is not the all new passat or what VW calls the New Midsize Sedan.This is the facelifted passat based on the current platform.The NMS has just been announced and will go on sale in north america first and rest of the world later.

So i guess 29th march shall be the launch of the facelifted passat.

The successor of the Jetta which is called the New Compact Sedan has also been announced and is on sale in north america and should be here in India by year end.
There is no such thing as a facelifted Passat. The B6 Platform has been phased out. In comes the new B7 Platform. There is nothing in between.

29th March seems too soon for the Indian arrival, however. Production Parts supply for the Passat in Europe, will more than likely delay an Indian arrival.
Lets wait and see what happens.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed