Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2011, 11:28   #361
BHPian

Re: Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details. Update: Brochure on pg 22

Her's a report of Beat Diesel in ACI website - Beat Diesel review, test drive Review
Old 13th July 2011, 15:13   #362
BHPian

Re: Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details. Update: Brochure on pg 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash24 View Post
Hi Folks,

Alright here are my inputs on the chevy beat.

1) Very less turbo lag, yes it has some turbo lag, but if you ask me it is 25% of the turbolag we face in the 1.3MJD or 1.3DDiS.The turbo lag is almost minimum or nill.
2)Interiors are good, same as the petrol beat.
3) Tyres are 165/65 R14. Guess what!! they are Goodyear. Sweet. Almost as good as Michelin XM1+, good grip and great ride quality because of these tyres.
4)Turbo kicks in exactly at 1750RPM, in higher gears the turbo kicks in anywhere between 1600 to 1750rpm.The turbo feeling is the same as the 1.3MJD or DDis cars.
5)Ride quality and handling is awesome, much better than petrol beat, doesnt handle like a tall boy, i touched 100km/hr speed on a empty city road, no problem at all,car loaded with 4 people.
6)Noise levels are fantastically controlled, my friend questioned me twice, is this a petrol or a diesel, the car i did a TD had a cold engine start, brillant. At times the engine doesnt make some sound if you floor the pedal, but normal city conditions it will easily pass off as a petrol car.
7)No discounts, not even a single rupee of accessory will be given, no mud flaps, no floor mats, no tints, nothing at all. Dealers are taking bookings with amounts between 10 to 50k.
8)Seat comfort is not great, rear seat under thigh support is poor.
9)The torque is awesome, i was driving in 3rd gear at 15km/hr and i quickly slipped to 5th gear and the car took off from 15km/hr speed to touch 70km/hr speed in about 15seconds, Not bad at all, No vibrations felt anytime during the test drive.
10)suspension tune up is perfect, plus 165/65 R14 is helping the ride quality on this car now big time.
Great first ride review for me. I don't want to go by what magazines say, but a T-BHPian review is definitely most welcome. I think perfect for a more city and occassional highway type driver. Hoping sometimes even I can get some similar test drives before the official launches

Quote:
Big suprise, the prices!!!

yes guys accounts department guy was loading the prices, sales guy is a friend, got to know the range.

Beat 1.2 is exactly 30k more on the ex showroom of Beat 1.2 petrol
Beat 1.2 LS is about 35k higher the Beat LS petrol Ex showroom price.
Beat 1.2 LT is about 43k Higher than the BEAT LT petrol ex showroom price.

Cheers guys, drive safe
Seems there is a huge error on this sales guy's information.

Sample This, I just checked the prices of beat in Delhi on Chevy's website.

Car Price: Chevrolet Aveo, Tavera, Optra Magnum, Spark, Captiva in India

Beat 1.2 LS_____Rs. 383514/-
Beat 1.2 LS LPG_Rs. 416114/-

So there is a difference of 32600 just between LPG and petrol. I don't think diesel price can be anywhere near where your sales friend has quoted which usually starts with 90K to 140K assuming the same feature on both Petrol and diesel.

No point living in dreams. In this country, Price-King remains the Tata for diesel vehicles. Dont think GM is anywhere near Tatas to pull-off this kind of pricing.
Old 13th July 2011, 15:31   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
Great first ride review for me. I don't want to go by what magazines say, but a T-BHPian review is definitely most welcome. I think perfect for a more city and occassional highway type driver. Hoping sometimes even I can get some similar test drives before the official launches

Seems there is a huge error on this sales guy's information.

Sample This, I just checked the prices of beat in Delhi on Chevy's website.

Car Price: Chevrolet Aveo, Tavera, Optra Magnum, Spark, Captiva in India

So there is a difference of 32600 just between LPG and petrol. I don't think diesel price can be anywhere near where your sales friend has quoted which usually starts with 90K to 140K assuming the same feature on both Petrol and diesel.

No point living in dreams. In this country, Price-King remains the Tata for diesel vehicles. Dont think GM is anywhere near Tatas to pull-off this kind of pricing.
Well, if chevy price this car 1 lakh over the petrol it wont sell i'm sure, people will still prefer figo with a 1.4 engine and more space.

Atleast the initial pricing will be very attractive that is for sure. keeping fingers crossed it is 30k to 50k expensive on a ex showroom basis(hope the sales guy is true, else I will Kill him)
Old 13th July 2011, 16:30   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The LPG type of variants are 'stop gap' and 'increase the volumes a lil more'type of variants. This is tiny engine. Charging 80k premium over the petrol is daylight robbery. I don't think that will be the case. I think it should not be more than 50k over the petrol. Both the American manufacturers (GM and Ford) are now VFM manufacturers in India.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 13th July 2011 at 16:32.
Old 13th July 2011, 16:34   #365
Senior - BHPian

For Swift/Ritz, the difference is around 80K (ex-showroom)
Considering the petrol is a 4-cylinder 1.2 and the diesel is a 3-cylinder 1 Litre, the difference will be much less. So, expect something like a 40-50K more than the petrol variant (ex-showroom)
Old 13th July 2011, 16:59   #366
Senior - BHPian

Launch is on July 25th. Test drove it today at Padam Ludhiana.
sidindica is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 17:07   #367
Senior - BHPian

Interesting way to market a 3 cylinder, 58 bhp diesel unit. We have heard of power-to-weight ratio, but this is a first. ABS & Airbags only on the top end LT(O) variant? Minus 10 points for that, GM.
Old 14th July 2011, 10:18   #368
BHPian

There are so many reporters review on the web for this car. Launch of this car is so close, now I am wondering if we are going to get GTOs review before the launch of the car or after the launch.

Without GTO review I am not sure whether I should reccomend this car to anyone or not.
Old 14th July 2011, 10:26   #369
BHPian

Quote:
There are so many reporters review on the web for this car. Launch of this car is so close, now I am wondering if we are going to get GTOs review before the launch of the car or after the launch.

Without GTO review I am not sure whether I should reccomend this car to anyone or not.
I think the official Team-BHP review will come on the day of launch.
Old 14th July 2011, 10:30   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Folks,

Alright here are my inputs on the chevy beat.

5)Ride quality and handling is awesome, much better than petrol beat, doesnt handle like a tall boy, i touched 100km/hr speed on a empty city road, no problem at all,car loaded with 4 people.

8)Seat comfort is not great, rear seat under thigh support is poor.

Cheers guys, drive safe
Great & thanks for sharing.

This product has to be the segment killer if they do price it right. I hate Swift for its interior and rear suspension /space. Can you compare Beat's wrt to Swift's?
Old 14th July 2011, 10:35   #371
BHPian

The Chevy Beat's wheel are small and the rims are thin. The diesel version should have added bit more steel to the rims. The Multi-Jet diesel 3 cylinder happens to be good. Is the displacement kept same? How does this engine sounds?

There are people lined up waiting for this model, one among them is also my friend. I would trust this vehicle only after a review from GTO.

Last edited by yogeshnaik : 14th July 2011 at 10:37.
Old 14th July 2011, 10:45   #372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Great & thanks for sharing.

This product has to be the segment killer if they do price it right. I hate Swift for its interior and rear suspension /space. Can you compare Beat's wrt to Swift's?
The current swift has a stiff suspension, the petrol beat had a stiff rear suspension too. Now the suspension is modified a bit on the diesel beat, for better city driving.

I did try driving the car for 2km's on a very bad condition road, the thud sounds are not felt inside the cabin for sure, and its not bad at all.

Space is better than the swift in the rear for sure. Not so much space like the vista ofcourse, but i would say a very comfortable 4 people's car for sure.

I tried chucking the car at 90km/hr speed on a couple of corners, not bad at all, the 165/65 R14 tyres are helping this car big time now.

Hope this helps.
Old 14th July 2011, 12:59   #373
sps
BHPian

Test drive in Thiruvananthapuram

Note from Mod : The Chevrolet Beat Diesel Review has been uploaded at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread.

Beat test drive vehicle is available with the dealer in Thiruvananthpuram.
They will allow to drive it inside their yard. Only after launch will they allow to take it outside.

Did a test drive yesterday.

Agree with all points stated by Nash24.

Riding comfort is top notch. The dealers yard had some untarred turf with really big stones and the ride was not bumby in this stretch too.

To me it is a two seater, as the front seats and the ergonomics are top notch.

A perfect small car with excellent city driving capabilities for those who have a sedan or big hatch for long weekend outings.

The low frequency three cylinder note is clearly audible during idling !!

As of now the city dealer has got 50+ bookings. They got 100+ bookings when beat petrol was announced. So seems like people have decided to take the wait and watch approach.

Eagerly waiting for another perfect GTO review.

Last edited by GTO : 14th July 2011 at 13:23. Reason: Adding link to review
Closed Thread

Most Viewed