Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2011, 19:50   #61
BHPian

Re: Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details

awesome...i hope this includes an automatic option, diesel + automatic= ideal city car
Old 22nd February 2011, 16:10   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
Good move by GMI. A fully loaded (LTZ) verison at 5.5 L will sell like hot cakes. Buyers like me are ready to shell out upto 6L for Beat Diesel AT (If it ever happens)

I hope GM has the sense to come out with a AT. And to think their main market is primarily into AT, it should be a easy thing for them to introduce one in India. AT with diesel would be a good proposition for a lot of buyers.
Old 22nd February 2011, 16:25   #63
Senior - BHPian

Caramba and Mafia, you guys are right. But when will these morons wake up and see that there isn't a single AT diesel hatchback in country. 130 models to choose from and not a single AT D hatch! Whoever does that should be given an award for re-inventing the car in India. But the question is, will we see such a car in another 100 years?
Old 22nd February 2011, 18:58   #64
Senior - BHPian

Finally I managed to get a couple of spyshots of Beat Diesel in my city.

The car was slow and driven by an old person with GM engineer or emplyoee sitting in co passenger seat. Either the driver was not enthusiastic and/or the car was slow. Makes a bit less noise than Swift, Indicas and GP/Linea's unit from exterior. But this is not for sure as I was on bike + helmet and traffic was also there.

This is one of the first images of a New GM car being tested in my city and I am able to grab images. I had observed Corsa Swing on test, the magnum update on Optra, the Tavera being tested, but never had opportunity to catch one spyshot. This is one. Was on bike so only two images.
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details. Update: Brochure on pg 22-photo0132.jpg  

Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details. Update: Brochure on pg 22-photo0133.jpg  

Old 22nd February 2011, 19:30   #65
BHPian

The low version is not the optimum choice. One cannot ignore the fact that apart from the FE conscious crowd there is still a growing crowd that considers power as well. With a light weight car the FE would obviously be high. Wonder how the 3 Cyl would be cheaper (new engineering, manufacturing etc). Maybe GM thought its better to invest in 3 Cyl and get timely delivery rather than taking 4 Cyl and waiting long, considering almost entire Indian Hatchbacks uses same engine. Is that engine already in production ? (exports etc)
Another option might be FIAT themselves. They would have pitched their new engine to GM and would have geared up to sell same 3 Cyl engines to other OEMs at cheap prices. After all FIAT needs something to keep the money running. If this is the case then expect more smaller cars with same 3 cyl engine. Will have to wait and watch.
Old 24th February 2011, 13:55   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibhanshu View Post
The low version is not the optimum choice. One cannot ignore the fact that apart from the FE conscious crowd there is still a growing crowd that considers power as well. With a light weight car the FE would obviously be high.
On performance front I guess old tata indica is the hygiene level, As long as they beat that and give a better fuel efficiency, Junta crowd will be happy. Being a T-Bhpian, I sure would be disappointed if performance is not upto the mark.

Quote:
Wonder how the 3 Cyl would be cheaper (new engineering, manufacturing etc). Maybe GM thought its better to invest in 3 Cyl and get timely delivery rather than taking 4 Cyl and waiting long, considering almost entire Indian Hatchbacks uses same engine. Is that engine already in production ? (exports etc)
Exactly my thoughts. Don't think a 3 cyl cylinder costs any less than a 4 cylinder engine. Think of the weight balancing related cost of the engine that is required to meet the vibration norms. (of the competition set ) .

Quote:
Another option might be FIAT themselves. They would have pitched their new engine to GM and would have geared up to sell same 3 Cyl engines to other OEMs at cheap prices. After all FIAT needs something to keep the money running. If this is the case then expect more smaller cars with same 3 cyl engine. Will have to wait and watch.
wow, did not know if there is already 3 cyl small diesel engine with fiat. I am sure Maruti would be already pitching in to bring that engine to its small car fleet.

Last edited by anu21v : 24th February 2011 at 13:57.
Old 24th February 2011, 14:13   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ This 3 cylinder engine was developed by GM, it's based on the 1.3L MJD engine by Fiat.
Old 24th February 2011, 14:17   #68
Senior - BHPian

Good pics, I hope they provide an AT too; though that may be asking for too much right away.
What next - diesel Wagon R?!
Old 24th February 2011, 22:35   #69
BHPian

Dear BHPians,

Any news on GM launching Beat Diesel?
It has been a long wait for me now and my heart is 'BEAT'ing' and mind to 'Diesel'ing'.

Thanks!
Old 25th February 2011, 00:23   #70
Senior - BHPian

seems like the trend is to provide engines (particularly diesels) with less and less BHP, at least for hatchbacks.
Good old Swift, 75 bhp
Ford figo, 68 bhp
Nissan Micra, 64 bhp
Beat, 56 bhp?

God knows where it will stop. Beat is not a light car - the petrol weighs 960 kgs, which is heavier than the Etios. The diesel might well be above a ton and with such a poor power output and the 3-cylinder engine which is typically unrefined and had loads of turbo lag (like Polo diesel), it will be a total dud from the performance POV.
Old 25th February 2011, 07:36   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The low version is not the optimum choice.
Suppose, GM comes up with an ARAI figure of around 25kmpl, would the market really care for 3 cylinder/ 4 cylinder performance?

BHP'ians would cry, but sales will tell a different story.

Recently released SX4 diesel with 1.3 VGT has 21.5 kmpl. With one cylinder less & on a small car, i believe GM is going to get a very good FE rating from ARAI.
Old 25th February 2011, 09:40   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sary View Post
Dear BHPians,

Any news on GM launching Beat Diesel?
It has been a long wait for me now and my heart is 'BEAT'ing' and mind to 'Diesel'ing'.

Thanks!
Got a call from GM dealer asking whether I am looking for a small car.I enquired about Beat Diesel.The SP said that it will come in the year end. . I am sure it will come much before that.
Old 25th February 2011, 10:05   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
^^ This 3 cylinder engine was developed by GM, it's based on the 1.3L MJD engine by Fiat.
As far as I remember, the 1.3 four cylinder was developed by GM and Fiat jointly (apart from few other MJD engines!!). I believe developing a 3-cylinder was definitely easy for the GM!!
Old 25th February 2011, 10:35   #74
BANNED

Here comes another piece of news -

GM India is planning a Spark Diesel as well.

Fellow T-BHPians any clue if the same engine would be shared in the Beat and Spark Diesels?

Thanks.
Old 25th February 2011, 16:51   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Here comes another piece of news -

GM India is planning a Spark Diesel as well.

Fellow T-BHPians any clue if the same engine would be shared in the Beat and Spark Diesels?

Thanks.
Is it the NANO Diesel effect ? All smallest cars going for it.
I think they have an inside news of petrol reaching Rs.100/- per liter.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks