Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2011, 10:34   #76

Re: Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Here comes another piece of news -

GM India is planning a Spark Diesel as well.

Fellow T-BHPians any clue if the same engine would be shared in the Beat and Spark Diesels?

Thanks.
What is the source of this news???
Old 4th March 2011, 10:32   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibhanshu View Post
Is it the NANO Diesel effect ? All smallest cars going for it.
I think they have an inside news of petrol reaching Rs.100/- per liter.

Eventually it will reach 100 but not very soon, may be in 3-5 years time. What would be interesting to see if Diesel prices have the same % gap from diesel as current or with deregulation and Govt subsidy going down, Diesel price will close all the gap.
Old 22nd March 2011, 18:04   #78
Senior - BHPian

Any news on Beat D front? When will these bozos at GM wake up and take notice that MUL is not able to meet demand for diesel Swifts and Ritzes? Just think of the fantastic fuel economy a tiny 3-cylinder diesel engine can offer. I am sure it will return at least 25 kmpl in city and 30 kmpl on highway! And that too on diesel. Wow! Cheaper than walking! To hell with bhp, torque and pick-up. Nothing can beat this for inner-city travel where speeds in excess of 80 kmpl are rarity anyway. Now, if only the morons at GM wake up and get their act together. More than their product quality, Maruti's success is because of these bozos.
Old 25th March 2011, 11:51   #79
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

No update on the Beat diesel launch, huh?

I'll be starting a query for a 'inexpensive' city runabout very soon. One of the contenders could have been this car, if only GM considered launching it on time. Can they still make it in the next month or so? Any feeders?
Old 25th March 2011, 14:33   #80
BHPian

I had spoken to one of my cousin who is in the Supply chain department of GM in talegaon, he said that they have finished testing the car and will launch in June 2011
Old 18th April 2011, 18:29   #81
BHPian

From the Press info of GM, it seems that it starts delivering the torque in a really low 1250rpm. Since 70% of the torque is available in a low rpm, hope the driveablity will be good.

From the Press info.

"The new compact engine will also be the peak torque leader for its displacement in the Indian market (140 Nm @ 1,750 rpm) and low-end peak torque leader for its displacement worldwide at 100 Nm @ 1,250 rpm. "

Source: GM News - United States - News
Old 18th April 2011, 23:32   #82
Senior - BHPian

Beat is one helluva looker. Add to that a frugal diesel with 20-25 kmpl in-city mileage and ,may be, who knows 30 kmpl on higway. Wow! Can you get any better deal than this? Now if priced competitvely, Beat will create havoc in market. What they said about Nano may actually happen in case of diesel Beat. Come June and GM showroom will be a crowded place.
Old 18th April 2011, 23:57   #83
Senior - BHPian

I dont think its going to be overly fuel efficient just because of a small engine. 10% imp sounds more like it.

Last edited by Mpower : 19th April 2011 at 00:11.
Old 18th April 2011, 23:59   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Any news on Beat D front? When will these bozos at GM wake up and take notice that MUL is not able to meet demand for diesel Swifts and Ritzes? Just think of the fantastic fuel economy a tiny 3-cylinder diesel engine can offer. I am sure it will return at least 25 kmpl in city and 30 kmpl on highway! And that too on diesel. Wow! Cheaper than walking! To hell with bhp, torque and pick-up. Nothing can beat this for inner-city travel where speeds in excess of 80 kmpl are rarity anyway. Now, if only the morons at GM wake up and get their act together. More than their product quality, Maruti's success is because of these bozos.
Quote:
Beat is one helluva looker. Add to that a frugal diesel with 20-25 kmpl in-city mileage and ,may be, who knows 30 kmpl on higway. Wow! Can you get any better deal than this? Now if priced competitvely, Beat will create havoc in market. What they said about Nano may actually happen in case of diesel Beat. Come June and GM showroom will be a crowded place.
How do we arrive at the FE figures of 25 in-city ? Are we assuming this just because its a 3 pot motor??? Polo is also a 3 pot motor and the FE is rated at 23 or so which is not even the city mileage! I guess for the VW Diesel, may be 17-18kmpl should be a realistic city mileage and 24-25 kmpl in highways in real world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shineshine View Post
From the Press info of GM, it seems that it starts delivering the torque in a really low 1250rpm. Since 70% of the torque is available in a low rpm, hope the driveablity will be good.

From the Press info.

"The new compact engine will also be the peak torque leader for its displacement in the Indian market (140 Nm @ 1,750 rpm) and low-end peak torque leader for its displacement worldwide at 100 Nm @ 1,250 rpm. "

Source: GM News - United States - News
If this is right, then the driveablity should be really good considering the car idles around 900 rpm [as in case of swift] ! Just "tap" the accelerator and you have 100nm of torque at your disposal !!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 19th April 2011 at 00:03.
Old 19th April 2011, 15:45   #85
BHPian

Beat Diesel parked in ITPL MLCP (GM has its R&D center here)....any news on when it would be launched? The TCDi badging was very crudely camouflaged.
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details. Update: Brochure on pg 22-p01.jpg  

Last edited by uday.ere : 19th April 2011 at 15:51.
Old 20th April 2011, 11:16   #86
Senior - BHPian

Man!! Bring it on ASAP i say. GM really needs this diesel now.
Old 20th April 2011, 12:46   #87
BHPian

Wow, the beat is already very good value for money, this efficient diesel mill will work wonders for Chevy ! Hurray a highly economical hatch on the way for us! But i would still wait for an i10 diesel ;-)
Old 20th April 2011, 13:50   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow, the beat is already very good value for money, this efficient diesel mill will work wonders for Chevy ! Hurray a highly economical hatch on the way for us! But i would still wait for an i10 diesel ;-
Why will you wait for a car that will not come? They have no plans of launching it. All what you hear about it is noise
Old 20th April 2011, 13:54   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 333 View Post
Wow, the beat is already very good value for money, this efficient diesel mill will work wonders for Chevy ! Hurray a highly economical hatch on the way for us! But i would still wait for an i10 diesel ;-)
Please don't get me wrong but why should you wait for D i10? Beat D will cost less and will look infinitely sexier/bigger than i10.
Old 20th April 2011, 15:29   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Please don't get me wrong but why should you wait for D i10? Beat D will cost less and will look infinitely sexier/bigger than i10.
Beat is most definitely NOT infinitely bigger than i10. The rear space and boot is smaller than i10. Both legspace and width of Beat rear seat is worse than i10. I won't argue on the sexier tag as that is subjective.

Moving back to topic, i think diesel would help Beat sales to have some turn-around. However, I don't think it would alter the story completely. Beat is being shunned not only for lack of diesel, but for overall practicality of the car. Neither of wagon-r, i10 has a diesel, still sale is 4-5 times of Beat.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed