Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2011, 19:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details. Update: Brochure on pg 22

Note from Mod : The Chevrolet Beat Diesel Review has been uploaded at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread.

pics courtesy Goa on wheels of Chevrolet beat diesel
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details. Update: Brochure on pg 22-chevroletbeatdieseltesting2.jpg  

Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details. Update: Brochure on pg 22-chevroletbeatdieseltesting3.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 14th July 2011 at 13:22. Reason: Adding link to review
Old 16th February 2011, 21:29   #2
BHPian

Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details

Quote:
These are the first pictures ever of the Chevrolet Beat diesel, to be launched in India by June 2011. The new car will be powered by a 3 cylinder version of the 1.3-litre Multijet diesel engine from Fiat which is also employed by Tata Motors and Maruti Suzuki for the Indica Vista and the Swift respectively. The scaled down version, which would be manufactured under license from Fiat, will however be more fuel efficient than the 1.3 version. Christened TCDi in typical Chevrolet fashion, the new car will deliver decent power and torque for a city car.
The estimated figures for the power and torque output from the new engine are 56PS of power and 150Nm of torque. While the power output may sound to be slightly low, but the Beat is not a heavy car. Also, with its healthy torque, it should pull nicely in city traffic in low revs. The USP of the new engine will be its fuel efficiency, which can safely be expected to be the highest among the small cars in India. Expect a 20+ kmpl figure in the real world.
GM’s India head Karl Slym had said earlier, that he feels that a diesel engine can do wonders to the sales of the Beat. We would like to concur with him here. The Beat is the best value hatchback in the Indian market at this point, and a diesel engine will definitely boost its appeal enormously. If GM India manages to price the new Beat aggressively, which we are sure it will, there is ample reason for the likes of the Figo and the Swift to worry about.
Good going GM India, keep up the good work!
Finally Beat Diesel is going to be out.

Source - Motoroids, Goaonwheels

Mods - Since there were no new thread on Beat Diesel I created one, Please merge if there is an existing thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details. Update: Brochure on pg 22-chevroletbeatdieseltcdi.jpg  

Old 16th February 2011, 21:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Scoop:Beat diesel spy pictures and details

Wow! This is a surprise choice. Its a very well proven engine. Now, the Beat will definitely have everything in armory to beat a lot of cars in compitition. Its a smart move by Chevy
Old 16th February 2011, 21:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thats a huge scoop. I have been looking forward for some news on the rumored Beat diesel for a long time now. i have always believed that the Beat is a very good car only hampered only by a lack of a diesel engine. Now Beat sales will surely get better and if they offer this car with a 3 year maintenance package I will be the first to go and exchange my Spark with it. Great news.
Old 16th February 2011, 22:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

I can foresee a waiting period in the months to come for the Beat Diesel.
Old 16th February 2011, 22:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details

3-cylinder engine. Ugh.

3 cylinder + MJD turbo lag = econo commuter = taxi != fun.
Old 16th February 2011, 22:29   #7
BHPian

I've seen more than 3 cars with the Tcdi badging here in B'lore.

I guess the launch date is gonna be announced soon.
Old 16th February 2011, 22:37   #8
BHPian

If I am not wrong turbo lag is dependent on inertia and if the FIAT people bless the 3 cylinder with a low inertia turbo the beat will be fun to drive in the city at least; especially with the low weight and and good torque.

For similar cost of purchase ( I wish) the only competition will come from the Toyota Hatchback diesel when its released for its fun to drive factor in city conditions. I would take the TOYOTA hatch any day for its bigger 4 cylinder engine which has more torque. Fuel efficiency be damned.

If the guys at Toyota price it near about the ETIOS petrol sedan most other diesel hatches in this price bracket might as well whimper back home.

About 11 to 12 of my colleagues in the 4 hospitals I consult are waiting for a high torque hatchback with a super duper chilling AC unit and power steering all other features be damned. This is to be used as a second car strictly for city use and the Toyota Hatch in its bare version presently fills all the requirements. Only hope TOYOTA grants us our wish.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 16th February 2011 at 22:50.
Old 16th February 2011, 22:39   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
3-cylinder engine. Ugh.
Hope the car is priced accordingly and not like POLO!

Quote:
After turbo lag, comes the Turbo kick!
Old 16th February 2011, 22:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

wow! Way to go GM. Is the 3 pot engine also a 1.3L ? I will bet that this car will be a hot seller.
Old 16th February 2011, 22:49   #11
BHPian

Sweet! Just what Chevy needed. A small car with an efficient engine. The petrol prices will definitely push car buyers to get a diesel hatch. I couldn't help noticing people cribbing about the 3 cylinder engine. I mean, is it that bad?

Cheers!
Cartman.
Old 16th February 2011, 23:09   #12
BHPian

If this car gives a better mileage than the Swift diesel, it will sell regardless of 3 cyl or turbo lag. That's how things work in our car industry.

3 cyl is no longer a cheapo configuration, what with not one but three premium brands choosing it - VW, Skoda and Nissan. If it's good enough for VW, it's good enough for the Chevy.

As for the turbo lag, that all depends on the turbo used. If they use a light turbo like in the Micra/Logan and tune it for power delivery and efficiency rather than outright power numbers, it should be fine. From the 56bhp power figure, it seems they've gone for drivability rather than outright bhp. 150Nm of torque is nothing to laugh at, it's better than the MJD. Good decision in theory. Let's hope it works out well in the metal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
3-cylinder engine. Ugh.

You haven't even met anyone who's driven it, let alone driven it yourself. Still you are so quick to judge it and label it a taxi. Why such mindless bashing rajushank?

Last edited by vivekgk : 16th February 2011 at 23:10.
Old 16th February 2011, 23:09   #13
BHPian

Great option; only to be let down by one 'expensive' cylinder!!!

I don't understand how difficult will it be for GM to launch the Beat in the attractive price category with a 4 cylinder version of the 1.3? When FORD can do it, why not GM?

Yes, the 3 cylinder mill does give better FE, but doesn't it take away more than what it gives, in terms of stability and refinement?
All the best to GM. Hope they play this card well.

Last edited by SankalpDesai : 16th February 2011 at 23:11. Reason: Addition.
Old 16th February 2011, 23:25   #14
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
pics courtesy Goa on wheels of Chevrolet beat diesel
Excellent catch. When inquired chevy india, chennai the sales guy told that the diesel version will be released in August, but another person told that they have got the diesel brochures but don't know the launch date. Hope this is released in next 2 months time.
Old 16th February 2011, 23:49   #15
Senior - BHPian

I doubt whether its going to be 1.3 MJD in Beat. I read a article in ET which says that Beat will be powered by a 1 litre Diesel engine.

""Beat with a one litre diesel engine will also be coming in June this year", General Motors India Vice-President P Balendran said after unveiling the LPG variant here. "

<<http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/news-by-industry/auto/automobiles/gm-to-introduce-diesel-variant-of-chevrolet-beat-by-june-2011/articleshow/7494364.cms>>
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks