Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2011, 15:38   #121
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details

Quote:
Originally Posted by 333 View Post
I think, just being stylish and sipping diesel would make a car a smashing hit. Then the Punto and Linea should have been segment leaders right?
You forget a crucial difference; price. The Beat is amongst the cheapest new hatchbacks launched in the market. The petrol is so well-priced that Chevy has a lot of room to give the diesel a competitive price as well. Plus, the only reason they have chosen a 3 cylinder is cost. The Punto diesel, on the other hand, is among the more expensive hatchbacks of the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I guess Beat has less space at the rear
Not really; when I drove the Beat, I thought the space was par for the segment (not less, not more). However, the swoopy rear windows and lack of quarter glass give the inside a very dark ambience.
Old 28th April 2011, 16:58   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Plus, the only reason they have chosen a 3 cylinder is cost.
Well, i used to think the 3 cylinder diesel has more to do with Engine bay size. Since Diesel Engines are much bigger in size than their petrol counterparts, its not easy to fit in a Diesel engine in all HBs. Point in Case being Suzuki WagonR, Estilo or A-Star do not come fitted with diesel engine even though Maruti has the 1.3 diesel manufacturing capabilities.

Don't think Beat's Engine area is substantially bigger than A-Star. With my limited engineering capability, I don't think a 3 Cylinder engine costs less than a 4 cyl engine. Can some experts here confirm/rebut this pls.

Quote:
when I drove the Beat, I thought the space was par for the segment (not less, not more). However, the swoopy rear windows and lack of quarter glass give the inside a very dark ambience.
I agree with your assesment. Some of the tall guys whom i had a talk about the beat Say, Leg Room is fine for both front and rear seats.

Last edited by anu21v : 28th April 2011 at 17:04.
Old 28th April 2011, 18:00   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
The boot though is undoubtedly substantially smaller than the competition.
It isn't that small as in A-star. Plus you have the 60:40 spilt folding rear seats, which substantially increase the luggage area and still you can seat 2 medium-build people at the rear. Both A-star and i10 don't have this facility.
Old 28th April 2011, 18:08   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not really; when I drove the Beat, I thought the space was par for the segment (not less, not more). However, the swoopy rear windows and lack of quarter glass give the inside a very dark ambience.
+1 My boss who is 6'1" sat comfortably behind me in my Beat. He told me that he was expecting a cramped rear by seeing the car from out side.

* My seating position is always way back so that my knee never touches the AC knob. I am 5'9".

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 29th April 2011, 01:40   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Today one white MH 14 registered (red plates) VCDi Beat overtook me near Dommasandra on Sarjapur Road.
Should have been a TCDi rather than VCDi as I have seen in some scoop pics. TCDi = Fixed geometry TC & VCDi = Variable Geometry TC [Magnum / Cruze / Captiva etc].

VCDi would have given a lot more power to the Beat, a true drivers car !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
I agree with your assesment. Some of the tall guys whom i had a talk about the beat Say, Leg Room is fine for both front and rear seats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
+1 My boss who is 6'1" sat comfortably behind me in my Beat.

* My seating position is always way back so that my knee never touches the AC knob. I am 5'9".

Cheers!

Vinu
Now this is impressive !! I think I should take a TD just for FUN !
Old 29th April 2011, 13:35   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Should have been a TCDi rather than VCDi as I have seen in some scoop pics. TCDi = Fixed geometry TC & VCDi = Variable Geometry TC [Magnum / Cruze / Captiva etc].

VCDi would have given a lot more power to the Beat, a true drivers car !!
Who knows, at a later stage they may introduce VCDi in Beat to satisfy us (rare species). Or may be testing the engine for yet to launch New U-VA

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 13th May 2011, 16:50   #127
Senior - BHPian

Latest news on the pricing & confirmation of the engine specs, courtesy indiancarsbike

2011 Chevrolet Beat diesel to cost 10-15% more than the petrol model! | IndianCarsBikes.in

At Rs 4 lacs price for entry level for the Beat, it could give a better fight to its competitors & increase the sales numbers to respectable figures.
Old 14th May 2011, 11:51   #128
BHPian

Whatever engine size this be in , this car would be fun to drive and must be worth a wait. Any idea about the launch dates? And will it be BS-IV only or both BS-3 & BS-4?
Old 14th May 2011, 12:52   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Latest news on the pricing & confirmation of the engine specs, courtesy indiancarsbike

2011 Chevrolet Beat diesel to cost 10-15% more than the petrol model! | IndianCarsBikes.in

At Rs 4 lacs price for entry level for the Beat, it could give a better fight to its competitors & increase the sales numbers to respectable figures.
Wow! If the news is correct, that would be killer pricing. Unlike the Indica, the Beat entry level is reasonably loaded also. A diesel car with AC and Power Steering at Rs.4 lakhs and you will find folks flocking to Chevy dealerships to grab it as soon as launched. 'A Beat PS with a long waiting list' - that should be something.

Chevy can easily double current Beat sales, I would say.
Old 14th May 2011, 19:51   #130
Senior - BHPian

The beat with its current features and a small 10-15 % increase in price over the petrol siblings would make it terrific VFM! and fuel efficiency being a given, doubling the sales for this baby Chevy would be easy if performance is moderately adequate
Old 16th May 2011, 00:47   #131
BHPian

10-15% Price difference over its petrol counterpart sounds great alongwith its unconfirmed fuel efficiency of around 25kmpl but the real matter for concern is the NVH levels associated with 3-cylinder engines, especially with the Direct Injectioned Diesel ones, as their clutter becomes very much eminent with rising Revs & such an Imbalanced character affects the Comfort levels of the car & the reliability of them in long term.
Lets see how much Soft-clutter this 1.0l MjD will deliver to lure its customers.
Old 16th May 2011, 13:23   #132
BHPian

There was a time, not too long ago when I was a Diesel hater. They're loud, maybe as fast or faster than their petrol cousins, but not refined in delivering the power when it all matters and to add to the woes, the turbo lag makes me sick! But with the price of petrol going up north like its pant's on fire, gives me no other choice other than to vouch for a diesel. Engine clatter and vibration levels are obvious, but I'd be happy to live with the clatter than going back home with an empty purse. Bring it on GM!
Old 16th May 2011, 13:40   #133
BHPian

A nice looking modern hatch at sub-4lakh starting price should be a real hit. But then again, even the petrol version was a good deal, but it did not fly.
Old 16th May 2011, 13:57   #134
Senior - BHPian

Of late i've been seeing a lot of Beat Diesels around the Pimpri area. (Test vehicles obviously) . It looked like it was being driven by employees. All these vehicles were badged 'TCDi'.

Looks like the launch should be around the corner.
Old 16th May 2011, 14:04   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Of late i've been seeing a lot of Beat Diesels around the Pimpri area. (Test vehicles obviously) . It looked like it was being driven by employees. All these vehicles were badged 'TCDi'.

Looks like the launch should be around the corner.
So there is a TCDi and VCDi That's very good news. The rear species (that's us) will be satisfied with some more power
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks