Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2011, 10:41   #91
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda Siel to recall 57,853 'City' sedans

Good that Honda is making the recall and owned up to it.

Bad that Honda too so long in accepting the fault.

Obviously they had a solution in hand almost a year back and have been using revised components in cars almost 10 months back.

Yes sales compulsions have forced them to delay the announcements.

So is this why people have been paying a premium to honda? It's not really if one looks at been most reliable nor been most forthcoming, and what they are doing now is to correct the image and avoid being sued.

That said there are others who would not do even this much and try to hush it all up irrespective of the faulty design and the premature failures.

So this is neither a +ve nor a -ve news.
Old 22nd February 2011, 10:51   #92
BHPian

[quote=bluevolt;2253107]+1,

I have searched various national/international forums on Honda's recall and almost all owners are happy with this step.

quote]

Do ANHC owners have a choice now ?

I might feel cheated, frustrated and taken for a ride, but iam still HAPPY at Honda's generosity.

I still dont have an answer as to why the recall for Nov 2008 to Dec 2009 cars is happening in Feb 2011.

What happened in the interim that the defect got rectified?

I feel Honda should come clean on what happened in the interim period of 13 months, even if its a Preventive replacement //
Old 22nd February 2011, 11:27   #93
BHPian

Lets look at this issue objectively:
1. All Honda products with the 1.5 VTEC is facing the recall worldwide. Hence, any doubts about cheap parts localization is out of question.

2. The bug was identified sometime around mid of 2009 and fixed by end of 2009.
Why?
Because, unlike a software code, this is a mechanical part in question. Hence, the product needs to be thoroughly tested before deployment to avoid further blushes.
Funny part is, at no point was the production shut down to stop the existing batch from going out. I guess the number crunchers would have done the maths right.

I guess the guys had to produce enough surplus parts to actually go in for the recall, which could have caused the delay. A recall without the necessary parts would have been a havoc.

As with most manufacturing processes, almost all the indian/global car makers had goofed up. Unfortunately,only few are recalled.
e.g. HM never did any recall for the Amby, and I, a big amby fan, can point lots of issues. Toyota, Fiat, Tata etc all have recalled their products!
Old 22nd February 2011, 11:39   #94
BHPian

With due respect to those who are lauding Honda's decision to carry out a recall, I don't think we should "appreciate" the recall just because other car companies are not so forthcoming. My point is simple - If you are doing the recall, be open and frank about it. Using terms like preventive replacement is not kosher.

Secondly, I am yet to see an official detailed statement by Honda which indicates what the problem is and what the replacement entails. This is not a power window switch or an accelerator problem. No one expects issues with the engine whether it be at 20,000 or 80,000.

So I am going to take all statements of transparency and honesty with a pinch of salt.
Old 22nd February 2011, 13:34   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmonkey View Post
Secondly, I am yet to see an official detailed statement by Honda which indicates what the problem is and what the replacement entails. This is not a power window switch or an accelerator problem. No one expects issues with the engine whether it be at 20,000 or 80,000.
I agree they have not sent any personal letter as yet seeking clarification but till then you can kindly visit the press release at Honda India website which is their official statement
Honda Car India : Press Releases

Last edited by RemingtonSteele : 22nd February 2011 at 13:38.
Old 22nd February 2011, 13:58   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteele View Post
I agree they have not sent any personal letter as yet seeking clarification but till then you can kindly visit the press release at Honda India website which is their official statement
Honda Car India : Press Releases
@Remington - I have perused the press release. My point is that the entire recall is being couched in vague terms. Clearly explain the function of the spring and where it is situated and how it will be replaced. My point boils down to the level of intrusiveness vis-a-vis the engine.
Old 22nd February 2011, 14:46   #97
BHPian

I fail to understand why many ANHC owners are taking up cudgels and offering explanations / clarifications on behalf of Honda, when the manufactures themselves are maintaining a stoic silence on this goof-up after the initial press release ?

Are we too embarassed to accept that the experience of owning our dream machine is nothing like what we had dreamt of and that we have literally been taken for a ride?

Last edited by INDIAN_VAGABOND : 22nd February 2011 at 14:49.
Old 22nd February 2011, 15:00   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmonkey View Post
@Remington - I have perused the press release. My point is that the entire recall is being couched in vague terms. Clearly explain the function of the spring and where it is situated and how it will be replaced. My point boils down to the level of intrusiveness vis-a-vis the engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDIAN_VAGABOND View Post
I fail to understand why many ANHC owners are taking up cudgels and offering explanations / clarifications on behalf of Honda, when the manufactures themselves are maintaining a stoic silence on this goof-up after the initial press release ?
IMHO you two are unnecessarily being too emotional about the whole recall saga.

Firstly, recalling cars is not a new phenomenon in this world.
Secondly as said earlier by many; the manufacturers fully know the hit they will be getting in terms of brand image value and added service cost but still they are going ahead with this recall.
Lastly, I don't think Indian law forces them for any recall but still they are doing so, so please don't suspect their motives behind it. (if you still continue to think on the same lines then -> you were anyway take for ride for last 2 years so why not take some additional risk by replacing the so called defective part??)

Last edited by RemingtonSteele : 22nd February 2011 at 15:02.
Old 22nd February 2011, 15:14   #99
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Are we too embarassed to accept that the experience of owning our dream machine is nothing like what we had dreamt of and that we have literally been taken for a ride?
Probably thats the case. The brand image / loyalty is so strong that the owners treat this definite negative as a casual aberration. Its actually a good thought process, and helps them to align better with the reality.

Manufacturer is maintaining silence because they know they have an excellent defence mechanism in the form of their customers.

Last edited by vb-saan : 22nd February 2011 at 15:15. Reason: re-aligned
Old 22nd February 2011, 15:21   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteele View Post
IMHO you two are unnecessarily being too emotional about the whole recall saga.

Firstly, recalling cars is not a new phenomenon in this world.
Secondly as said earlier by many; the manufacturers fully know the hit they will be getting in terms of brand image value and added service cost but still they are going ahead with this recall.
Lastly, I don't think Indian law forces them for any recall but still they are doing so, so please don't suspect their motives behind it. (if you still continue to think on the same lines then -> you were anyway take for ride for last 2 years so why not take some additional risk by replacing the so called defective part??)

Why are we owners still talking in terms of Honda's brand value being hit is beyond my comprehension!!
I would be the last person on earth to bother about Honda's brand value and balance sheet taking a hit under the present circumstance.

Honda's not doing a favor on us with this recall.
Its just that since it is an international recall and had they remained quiet in India, the intelligent owners were bound to have raised questions. And moreover, since its an Engine defect, many more cars would have stalled on the road, sooner than later.

Why would i take the addtional risk to replace further parts !!
Why should i push my luck with a defective engine?
Isnt enduring the present trauma enough ?

IMHO, Honda should ideally extend the warranty on the engine by another two years, from the date of completion of the repairs.

Last edited by INDIAN_VAGABOND : 22nd February 2011 at 15:22.
Old 22nd February 2011, 15:35   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Why does one choose Honda or Toyota when similar alternatives from other manufacurers are available at cheaper rates ?
I do fully agree with Indian_Vagabond. Somewhere the issues are getting mixed resulting in some false pride among a few associated with the recall by Honda.
First - there is no doubt that if there is a mistake, it has to be corrected. This is a basic requirement applicable to any business. There has been numerous examples associated with product recalls both in India and abroad in automobile sector and other sectors as well. This is just a correction to a problem where the initial product does not even conform to a 'must be quality'. I do not understand why people are jumping over the table to praise Honda for this?
Second - Why do people pay premium for a brand? The ONLY reasons are
  • RELIABILITY. And this is a combination of 'Repeatability' and 'Reproducability' of the 'best designs'.
  • 'Attractive Quality' - which is beyond the customer's expectations.
In the recent recalls by Honda - both the promises of reliability and attractive quality are shattered. When a product fails to conform to minimum requirements, where is the question of Attractive quality? So why should one pay premium if its offerings are same as any other brands in the sector.
Third - The magnitude of the problem: We have seen recalls (proactive or reactive) due to improvements/corrections in features like in AC units, switches etc.. But i think (correct me if i am wrong) this is the first time we are seeing a problem in the heart of a car. So why should one believe that Honda is a technically advanced brand?
Fourth - Handling of the problem by Honda - I do not need to elaborate on this as some of us have already raised questions / apprehensions and hypothesises for justification of the same in this thread - like why after 1 year? Why so many cars? Why i am yet to recieve a call from the dealer? Dealer saying car is in the list Honda web site says not etc.....not the way expected from a premium brand.

In a nutshell, while Honda has done the right thing in recalling to correct mistakes, there is no need to feel proud and boast of it instead of accepting the simple fact this has only reduced the respect for Honda in the minds of the logically thinking. What really differentiates Honda from others?
Unfortunately i do not own a Honda, hence, i can not stop some people classifying the above as 'from a biased mind'.
Old 22nd February 2011, 15:57   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Why are we owners still talking in terms of Honda's brand value being hit is beyond my comprehension!!
I would be the last person on earth to bother about Honda's brand value and balance sheet taking a hit under the present circumstance.

Honda's not doing a favor on us with this recall.
Its just that since it is an international recall and had they remained quiet in India, the intelligent owners were bound to have raised questions. And moreover, since its an Engine defect, many more cars would have stalled on the road, sooner than later.

Why would i take the addtional risk to replace further parts !!
Why should i push my luck with a defective engine?
Isnt enduring the present trauma enough ?
Hello Guys, just relax and take a chill pill, I can't say anything more to console you

Quote:
IMHO, Honda should ideally extend the warranty on the engine by another two years, from the date of completion of the repairs.
Now thats really a good point.
Old 22nd February 2011, 16:50   #103
BHPian

@Remington - I am not being emotional. All I wish to articulate is that Honda is not doing us a favour by carrying out the replacement. So let us not treat them with a holier than thou attitude.

Secondly, there are varying degrees of recall. The defect will determine the seriousness of the problem. If someone tells me that the spring that determines the valve timing in my engine is defective, it is a cause for concern.

All - I had written an email to Honda. Just got a call. They have confirmed that the "spring is situated in the tappet under the air filter." That was greek latin and double dutch to me but what is pertinent in light of the discussion on this thread is that the representative stressed on the fact that "there is nothing wrong as such with the spring" and "that we do not want to take a chance". So technically Honda is still not "admitting it".
Old 22nd February 2011, 16:52   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saugdas View Post
Unfortunately i do not own a Honda, hence, i can not stop some people classifying the above as 'from a biased mind'.
That was an excellent analysis.

First, you are FORTUNATE NOT TO OWN A HONDA

Second, noone can classify a logical thought process as biassed or otherwise.

Last edited by INDIAN_VAGABOND : 22nd February 2011 at 16:53.
Old 22nd February 2011, 17:20   #105
BHPian

Quote:
That was an excellent analysis.

First, you are FORTUNATE NOT TO OWN A HONDA

Second, noone can classify a logical thought process as biassed or otherwise.
Although i never owned one, but i had a huge respect for this brand due to it's image and might have gone for the Civic as my 'next one'.
But it is vanished today and i find it difficult to accept this quite like many here who actually own it and experiencing the ordeal more than me.
But then as you said, facts are facts and one can not distort it even by logic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks