Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2011, 19:16   #106
BHPian

Re: Honda Siel to recall 57,853 'City' sedans

Honda's reply to my email:

Dear Mr Vishrov Mukerjee ,

This is with reference to your query pertaining to the upgradation campaign for the Lost Motion Spring of your Honda City.

At the outset we take this opportunity to extend our thanks to you for patronizing Honda and for sharing your query with us.

As regards to your query we wish to inform that the product update involves replacing the springs of the valve mechanism with a improved part.
It does not involves disassembling of the engine. We also wish to inform that the part which requires replacement is a regular inspection item
during some periodic maintenance services. Therefore there is no concern of engine being disassembled.

You will appreciate that Honda has been Globally accepted as a transparent and customer centric organization and we always strive to live up to the expectations of our much valued customers. It has always been our endeavor to provide our customers with the best of our products and services at all times.

We have also advised our dealership M/s Pearl Honda,Noida to get in touch with you and schedule the appointment as per your convenience

Thanking you and wishing you miles of Happy Motoring Experience with Honda.
Old 23rd February 2011, 09:13   #107
BHPian

A really well appreciated effort by the Honda Team. Way to go! People today understand the value of such recalls and it would only help the Honda image, rather than otherwise.
Old 23rd February 2011, 09:25   #108
BHPian

I guess the above mail would satisfy the queries regarding engine disassembly.
One point i would like to bring here is that "Has even one of the affected cars failed in India?".
Some of the cars that are a part of a recall have done close to 30K.
If a company is willing to replace a part which they think might give issues in longer run, we as a customer should be more than willing to get it done. I agree that all of us have paid a premium on Honda cars. That premium is justified by the fact that even with something that can stall the car, not even one of the ANHC's has given any trouble to its owners. If Honda had wanted to bury this issue under the carpet they could have done it easily like many other manufacturers, and this part could have been replaced by dealer at customers cost at 50K service. We as a customer would have accepted that and willingly would have paid for it.
I don't want to forgive Honda to let a sub standard part sneak into the engine, but would appreciate their commitment to replace the part.Mind you, this exercise cost both in terms of money and image to Honda. As a customer we all should be demanding as a large part of the car costs includes customer service too. But with a single recall, that has not left anyone stranded on road, we must not write off a manufacturer like Honda.
My Dad's company is a vendor for Honda, and i can tell you that i am amazed at the quality Honda demands from its vendors. To cite an example, the fuel pipe from the fuel lid to the tank for normal cars (Maruti, Tata, Hyundai - same vendors supplies to all manufacturers) is never treated from inside for any rust prevention.Most manufacturers think that since this part won't be exposed to the elements, why spend money on protecting it from inside. In Honda that pipe is treated with rust preventive material (Electrophoretic deposition techniques) even form inside. Please be rest assured that manufacturers don't let their customers down, as their biggest reward is a repeat customer.
Old 23rd February 2011, 11:30   #109
BHPian

@zoom_vroom: Thanks for this reassuring example for some who doubted all this recall fiasco
No one can vouch it better than you/your Dad who as a supplier has a first hand experience of quality when dealing with Honda.

Last edited by RemingtonSteele : 23rd February 2011 at 11:57.
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:00   #110
Senior - BHPian

This thread is almost into the eight page of Honda bashing and not a single post of any City owners who have actually got the defective parts replaced. Can any City owners post about the replacement experience or would that be started in a new thread maybe in Technical section.

While some of posts have appreciated Honda's initiative, most of them are unable to digest the fact that Honda too could have some issues with the quality of the parts. Would this recall affect the overall Honda quality products, I dont think so. There are still some fanboys of the City model inspite of the premium being paid.
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:24   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmonkey View Post
All - I had written an email to Honda. Just got a call. They have confirmed that the "spring is situated in the tappet under the air filter." That was greek latin and double dutch to me ".
That sounds serious. If Honda is saying that they don't have to dismantle the engine, I have to believe their words. But someone must have a personal check of how they do it. AFAIK, they need to at least remove the cam rod assembly to reach to the tappet springs. Please check out this link for more details.
What/Where are Lost Motion Assemblies? - HondaSwap Forums

And it is not only City. Here comes FIT's international recall, which is our JAZZ, for the same reason. And why Honda is not recalling JAZZ in India?

Honda recalls Fit subcompacts - Business - CBC News

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 23rd February 2011 at 12:29.
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:28   #112
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Ghodlur - While our City has done 40K kms in last 2 years, it hasnt been without its fair share of problems - All door beadings & outer mirrors replaced under warranty. Door beadings had started tearing within few months, outer mirrors plastic had turned grey ! Now the problem is repeating once again with the beadings, wil be raising this issue with them once again - Wiper motors replaced under warranty. They packed up in the midst of the monsoon, couldnt use the car for a week waiting for the parts to arrive - Clicking sound from the front brake caliper, needs to be removed & cleaned regularly - Numerous rattling from under the steering column, left side door etc Honda quality is NOT what it used to be ! Thank God no engine problems till now, am keeping fingers crossed ! But Honda has been proactive in their responses, that i must appreciate, they need to tighten quality to better justify the premium they charge !
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:55   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post

And it is not only City. Here comes FIT's international recall, which is our JAZZ, for the same reason. And why Honda is not recalling JAZZ in India?

Honda recalls Fit subcompacts - Business - CBC News
That is because Jazz/Fit is available internationally with 1.5 Vtec engines, which is not available in India
Old 23rd February 2011, 13:22   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteele View Post
@zoom_vroom: Thanks for this reassuring example for some who doubted all this recall fiasco
I have no doubts about the vendor's quality standards.

That said, What is the point of coating a fuel pipe with rust-proof material from inside when Honda cannot provide a defect-free engine that conforms to a minimum quality standard expected from them?

Sounds like applying sunscreen inside the nostrils when the brain has got a tumour !!

I had written a mail to Honda asking them to justify reasons for the delay of 13 months in this recall and why previous owners like me were not informed of the problem earlier and deliberately kept in the dark?

I had also asked them reassurance that no long term damage has happened to my engine because of the problem.

Yet to receive a repy from them.
Will post it as soon as i get one.

In so far as the replacement goes, the amount of work involved as quoted by Honda in their mail is different from what the dealer envisages !
Honda should better take their dealers into confidence first.

Winning back the confidence of Disillusioned ANHC owners should be next step.

A bit off topic,

Guys, has anyone checked out whether there is a steep fall in ANHC cost in the used-car market -
Has this recall afftected the used-car rates as badly as generally perceived?

Am a bit concerned since I was planning to upgrade soon.

IVB

Last edited by INDIAN_VAGABOND : 23rd February 2011 at 13:26.
Old 23rd February 2011, 14:33   #115
BHPian

[quote=zoom_vroom;2254599]..One point i would like to bring here is that "Has even one of the affected cars failed in India?"... not even one of the ANHC's has given any trouble to its owners....[quote]

You might have missed out the post nos 46, 49, 75 & 84 in this thread to your convenience. These talk about problems in their engines and these cars are in the list of 'upgradation' as termed by Honda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDIAN_VAGABOND View Post
I have no doubts about the vendor's quality standards.

Sounds like applying sunscreen inside the nostrils when the brain has got a tumour !!
. There can't be a better comparison IVB.
I am too linked to the automobil industry as a supplier's supplier. And should say it is not only Honda but quite a few brands today who are pretty conscious about their Vendors' quality.

Last edited by saugdas : 23rd February 2011 at 14:40. Reason: The first quote was not displayed properly.
Old 23rd February 2011, 14:45   #116
BHPian

Quote:

IVB
@IVB
Thats terrific analogy
I fully empathise your emotions, just that I was too concerned because you sounded too panic'ed thats the reason I was trying to sooth you.
Try to relax bro , even I am in the affected list.

Last edited by RemingtonSteele : 23rd February 2011 at 14:53.
Old 23rd February 2011, 14:50   #117
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post

can it be said the Fit owners are having 'fit' over the recalls??
Old 23rd February 2011, 14:53   #118
BANNED

Quote:
A bit off topic,

Guys, has anyone checked out whether there is a steep fall in ANHC cost in the used-car market -
Has this recall afftected the used-car rates as badly as generally perceived?

Am a bit concerned since I was planning to upgrade soon.

IVB
this was the first question that came to my mind. I am sure this will be used as a reason to bring the price down drastically weather relevant or not!!

I am requesting the mods to merge my replies as I had not read thru the thread before posting my first reply!

Last edited by Mafia : 23rd February 2011 at 14:54.
Old 23rd February 2011, 14:59   #119
BHPian

Well, I've done 45xxx km in two years and apart from a strange twin sound that started after the 40,000 km service, I've not had any problem. This sound may be due to the spring. The car is scheduled to go in for the part replacement on Sunday and I have been told that it will take approximately 3 hours. I am getting it done through Pearl Honda, Noida.
Old 23rd February 2011, 16:17   #120
BHPian

We would like to see what our technically adept members(there are quite a few of them) who has sound knowledge of the things under the hood has to say about this defect about Honda cars.

If they can explain to the other members in the forum it will be really helpful to understand the gravity of the issue.

We were all up in arms against Skoda (Ok. There was a good reason for that)

Why Honda is getting all applause for their recall whereas any other brand including the most premium ones would have got rogered?

Vagabond has done some realistic analysis and other members are portraying him as being too emotional. A bit unfair, must say

In one of the earlier posts also, I had mentioned this doubt. 2009 defect being found now cannot easily be digested. And the weird part of the whole thing is that Honda owners now are coming out and mentioning about strange noises etc in their vehicles. Wondering what this issue was not reported at all in the 1st place in media and in other countries.

How do we know that the cars after this batch doesn't have the said issue?
If the subsequent batches don't have this issue, then scenario changes a lot. Honda knew about this all along, fixed it in the cars after the faulty batch of vehicles. Above all, were they covering this up to boost their sales?

Was this issue reported first in third world Asian countries or in West?

Maybe West, otherwise they may not have recalled since customers in this part are more brand conscious and Honda knows that very well.

Honda will be really happy to see T-BHP site since there are lots of customers who are defending for them. They don't need to do any job at all.

Interesting( and sad too) that our objectivity goes for a toss when it comes to Honda.

Are we going to see some real crazy Vento booking now ? ;-)

Last edited by bkbkr1212 : 23rd February 2011 at 16:19. Reason: Added

Most Viewed