Team-BHP - Honda Siel to recall 57,853 'City' sedans
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Honda Siel to recall 57,853 'City' sedans (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/96776-honda-siel-recall-57-853-city-sedans.html)

Honda Siel Cars India (HSCI) said it is recalling over 57,800 units of its City sedan to replace faulty engine parts.

In a statement, the company said it would carry out preventive part replacement of the lost motion spring in the valve train for 57,853 third-generation City models that were manufactured between November, 2008, and December, 2009.

"Lost motion springs, which are compressed by rocker arms in normal engine use, may bend or break over time, resulting in abnormal engine noise and potentially causing engine stalling and problems in re-starting, the company said.

Source:

Honda Siel to recall 57,853 'City' sedans

Can someone confirm this news? I don't see this any other site. Mine is Oct 2009 manufactured, fingers crossed :Shockked:

In what seems to be a first for the Indian Automotive Industry, Honda Siel Cars India is officially recalling 57,853 units of its super-successful City models over faulty engine parts.

In a statement, the company said it would carry out preventive part replacement of the lost motion spring in the valve train for 57,853 third generation City models. "Lost motion springs, which are compressed by rocker arms in normal engine use, may bend or break over time, resulting in abnormal engine noise and potentially causing engine stalling and problems in re-starting", the company said.

Source: The Hindu
The Hindu : Business News : Honda Siel to recall 57,853 City sedans for faulty engines

On one hand, I would like to appreciate Honda for officially accepting the fault and recalling the models. On the other hand, unless the problem is really serious, companies would refrain from recalling their models as it would involve a direct hit in their brand-image. Overall, I see this as a positive trend in India so that companies start accepting their fault with official recalls.

Mods: I could not find any related thread to post this news. If one is there, please move the post.

WOAH!!

big news! would be intersting how this will pan out for Honda in the near future!

is it true!? a recall in India is virtually not done! And this numbers by Honda is truly a big thing!

Just ran a google on the subject!

Every major news publisher has run the story!:Shockked:

Quiet a brave move from Honda!

Source:Honda Car India : Press Releases

New Delhi, 17th Feb 2011: Honda Siel Cars India Ltd. today announced that it would carry out preventive part replacement of Lost Motion Spring in the valve train for 57,853 units of 3rd Generation City, manufactured from November 2008 to December 2009.

HSCI is proactively replacing the part in these vehicles with a new improved part. Lost motion springs, which are compressed by rocker arms in normal engine use, may bend or break over time resulting in abnormal engine noise and potentially causing engine stalling and problems in re-starting.

The replacement would be carried out free of cost and the company will communicate directly with the owners of the cars which are covered under this part replacement. The dealerships have been updated about the part replacement and the new part is being dispatched to the dealerships in phases for smooth execution, to avoid any inconvenience to the customers.

A special microsite has been created on the website (www.hondacarindia.com) which enables the customers to check whether their car will be covered under this part replacement by submitting their 17 character alpha-numeric Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).

HSCI is carrying out the part replacement as part of a global exercise by Honda Motor Company to ensure stringent quality standards for its products.

The part replacement is only applicable to Honda City manufactured from November 2008 to December 2009 and the currently sold City is not affected & does not require any part replacement.

The global recall does not impact the Honda Jazz sold in India. The recall announced by Honda applies to certain units of Fit/ Jazz fitted with 1.5L i-VTEC engine which is sold in other countries and not sold in India.

SITE is yet to be updated with a check of VIN numbers, link exists but would be operational only after 4:00 PM

Link to check: http://www.hondacarindia.com/pud/index.aspx

Confirmed: Honda India Site
Honda Car India : Press Releases

Good proactive move, recalls are not much known in India.

Good move. Finally provides some justification to the premium they charge on their cars. Hope other manufacturers take a cue.

Oh my god, thats soem disheartening news. I thought Honda was always regarded highly as far as quality of parts was concerned. Is Honda India going to communicate individually to the customers directly affected or is it through the dealer.

On request to City owners, please pass on this notification to other known city owners too.

the old D16 engines simply won't die after revving the nuts out for years. Is this spring coming from outsourced parts?

Just read this from TOI

Honda recalls nearly 700,000 vehicles worldwide - The Times of India

Let's see what it means for the Honda vehicles in india.

That's not a heartening news, particularly for ANHC owners who are affected.
But, one has to give credit to Honda for being brave and doing the right thing and setting up an example.

I am little relieved as the Jazz does not have the problem.

What's the need for Honda city owners to worry here?

Errors do happen, be it Honda or Toyota. And they're proactively fixing this. They deserve some credit for this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tachobells (Post 2248350)
What's the need for Honda city owners to worry here?

Errors do happen, be it Honda or Toyota. And they're proactively fixing this. They deserve some credit for this.

+1 to this, I really appreciate the proactive move.

So far (probably) no one would have faced this issue in India or might have been an isolated case, but still Honda is replacing it on all the cars based on the feedback they received on this engine world wide.

Hope it's handled smooth at the dealer.

A manufacturer accepting his fault and announcing a recall is itself a big thing. Honda deserves some credit for this. How the dealers are going to deal with this might be an issue, i guess we'll have to wait and watch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghodlur (Post 2248282)
Oh my god, thats soem disheartening news. I thought Honda was always regarded highly as far as quality of parts was concerned. Is Honda India going to communicate individually to the customers directly affected or is it through the dealer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adimicra (Post 2248333)
That's not a heartening news, particularly for ANHC owners who are affected.

I am little relieved as the Jazz does not have the problem.

Actually I take this as positive because, they are doing it proactively. We have auto maker denying every fault as customer mis-use even when they clearly know it is their issue!
Honda here admitting mistake and doing this voluntarily is commendable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kutlee (Post 2248313)
the old D16 engines simply won't die after revving the nuts out for years. Is this spring coming from outsourced parts?

The lost motion assembly in old heads also have problems when running aftermarket cams with very aggressive ramp rates and high lifts. The B series heads also had this problem with stock LMAs, because of which newer heads had them redesigned.

But there is only so much that can be done since it is a moving part and typically sees some of the strongest forces inside the head because of being mated to the VTEC lobe which has higher lift and more duration than the primary lobes.

For reference, here is the rocker assembly from an OHC vtec head with the LMAs shown with arrows.

Honda Siel to recall 57,853 'City' sedans-lmas.jpg