Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2012, 12:36   #286
BHPian

Re: Hyundai India, unreasonable long term maintenance and service practices!

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
* Fuel injector cleaning
You requested for this or this was done without asking. This is generally one of those "Extra" services.

Also how exactly is the Injector cleaning done?
Old 19th June 2012, 12:45   #287
BHPian

Hi Friends,

I have my Santro Xing XO model. It has crossed 47K in the odo and everytime i visit the Hyundai service center near cantonment railway station they rip off minimum 6K. Few things like wiper solution they charge 180 rs, and and on top of it taxes. I have asked them not to put those and said i have 3M solution at my home and the Service engineer was very disappointed.

Similarly they charge 300 rs on top of oil change telling oil flush. what is it? is it required?

Number of incoming cars for service is so high that i can image they spend hardly 1 hr for servicing the car and half of your problems doesnt get fixed.

I would like to know if there are some other good workshops in Bangalore where i can get my car serviced.

Thanks,
Senthil.
Old 19th June 2012, 13:18   #288
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbookie View Post
You requested for this or this was done without asking. This is generally one of those "Extra" services. Also how exactly is the Injector cleaning done?
I posted a similar reply to misquitas' post on his thread where he has a LTO of his i10. However, since you asked the question here - Injector cleaning is usually done is two ways. A spray based cleaner is sprayed into the fuel intake system with the injectors still on the car and the engine is run. The second way is when the injectors are removed and cleaned with the use of a injector cleaning machine. Fuel injector cleaning is not needed unless you have filled bad fuel and are experiencing symptoms of clogged injectors.

The second process gives the best results and is recommended. However, most A.S.S opt for the first process due to the sheer volume of cars they service. In misquitas' case I suspect the A.S.S would have used the first method and billed ~Rs. 500-750 for the job which is clearly not needed in a car that's run ~21k kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakasse View Post
I have my Santro Xing XO model. It has crossed 47K in the odo and everytime i visit the Hyundai service center near cantonment railway station they rip off minimum 6K.
Faced the same issues with Advaith and Trident which I have posted on this thread. On average the bill of a Periodic Maintenance Service for my Santro was ~Rs. 5k to 6.5k.

Quote:
Few things like wiper solution they charge 180 rs, and and on top of it taxes. Similarly they charge 300 rs on top of oil change telling oil flush. what is it? is it required?
The wiper solution used at M.A.S.S is ~Rs. 20 and is of the Sonax brand which comes in a sachet like a shampoo. I wonder what they use at H.A.S.S to charge you Rs. 180. An oil flush is not necessary if you stick to regular oil changes intervals as mentioned in the manual. As far as I know the Rs. 300 they have billed you is for an oil additive and not an engine flush. Engine flushes are ~Rs. 600 to 800.

Quote:
I would like to know if there are some other good workshops in Bangalore where i can get my car serviced.
If your car is out of the warranty period you can try the Bosch service centers. Definitely the better option.

Last edited by gpa : 19th June 2012 at 13:23.
Old 19th June 2012, 18:11   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbookie View Post
You requested for this or this was done without asking. This is generally one of those "Extra" services.
No, I had not requested for this and it was done without my knowledge. Anyway, this requirement will be included in my DND (Do-Not-Do) list when my i10 goes for service the next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
In misquitas' case I suspect the A.S.S would have used the first method and billed ~Rs. 500-750 for the job which is clearly not needed in a car that's run ~21k kms.
Hyundai charged me Rs 215 for Fuel injector cleaning. Now that my injectors are cleaned, this process will not be repeated again, at least for the next 40-50K clicks on the odo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Very good. But I wonder how, only you get exceptional FE, superb service and extra low service charges - all combined! - from a Hyundai!
I really do not know why, but I suspect the following reasons are at play:

* My expectations of the i10 could be lower than many other i10 owners. I don't push the i10 to its limits and I guess, my i10 returns my kindness by not stretching my wallet to its limits!

* My sedate driving and Goa's better road network accounts for better FE.

* I make it a point to befriend staff at the service centre and in turn, they are extremely obliging, honest and co-operative.

By the way, these principles were also used in my Alto with similar results. I always had great FE, never had a problem with the Alto and the service was always excellent and affordable.

Last edited by misquitas : 19th June 2012 at 18:28.
Old 19th June 2012, 18:15   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas

No, I had not requested for this and it was done without my knowledge. Anyway, this requirement will be included in my DND (Do-Not-Do) list when my i10 goes for service the next time.

Hyundai charged me Rs 215 for Fuel injector cleaning. Now that my injectors are cleaned, this process will not be repeated again, at least for the next 40-50K clicks on the odo.
If they charged only 215 for it, they might have just dumped a bottle of injector cleaner fluid in the fuel tank. Taking injectors out and cleaning then definitely costs more.
carbookie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 18:55   #291
BHPian

There is one technique I use in the service station. If there is anything that I see un-reasonable and done without me mentioning it; then I refuse to pay for that. You would be surprised to see how quickly they agree to take it off from the bill.
Old 19th June 2012, 19:54   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
Injectors are cleaned using an automatic machine and typically costs around 800-1000 bucks; If Hyundai has charged you ONLY 215 bucks for the same, it could have been done by hand/manually which is as good as not doing it.
Next time if they do it, ask them for the report (automatic machine produces a before/after report).
infotech58 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2012, 19:15   #293
BHPian

I tried servicing my Santro with different dealers to find out the most optimal:
First Paid Service - Advaith Hyundai, Bellendur
Second Paid Service - Trident Hyundai, Domlur
Third Paid Service - Advaith Hyundai, Mission Road

All the three services costed me 5-6 K with no additives . They used to advertise 3M, under-body coating etc every time but thankfully never went for them.

My colleague owns a honda jazz and his maintenance costs with whitefield honda are about 2.7 K per service.

Hyundai is seriously ripping off their customers; esp with inflated labour charges and unwanted services.

Since last 3 times I have been going to a small garage in Koramangala 5th Block. The guy's name is Naveen. Real good work always. No hidden charges and insists on whats absolutely important - like semi-synthetic oil instead of manual.

Most recent service experience:
1. Semi Synthetic oil: 1260
2. Service Charges: 1100 (includes servicing, brakes cleaning, interiors polishing/waxing etc)
3. Removing sunfilm and cleaning the mess: 250
4. Some wires were cut by mouse - soldering: 250
---------------------------------------------------
Total Bill: 2860

No additional costs; no hidden charges etc. Happy to have found an alternate service centre but swear never to buy a hyundai because of their dishonest and highly overpriced after sales service.
Old 1st July 2012, 12:26   #294
Distinguished - BHPian

Having owned a Elantra CRDi, i always thought Hyundai cars were cheaper to maintain compared to VW/Skoda but Sonata Embera CRDI might be an exception. A friend who owns a Sonata CRDI just gave his car for clutch job at 90k kms, typical of Hyundai CRDI cars the flywheel is the weakest link and at the time of clutch job whole kit including Flywheel, pressure plate and clutch plate have to be changed. The flywheel(DMF??) alone costs 65k Rupees before tax, the whole clutch job cost him around 1,12,000 Rupees, that's more expensive than even VW Jetta(Old) and Skoda Laura.

Just because they use Mineral Oil the service cost is lower than Laura, otherwise Filters and other stuff is even more expensive than my Laura.

Another exception was Terracan, which costed a bomb to maintain. Not sure about Santa-Fe. My Elantra had pretty reasonable maintenance costs.
Old 1st July 2012, 15:03   #295
BANNED

The simplest way to fix them is to make a note; "No additional work/services of any kind, without my permission". As simple as that. Whatever, is required is mentioned in the service schedule. Some parts/supplies and no labour is changeable.

I find Honda checks with me even if a clip costing Rs.45 is to be replaced. I may add that I am normally there for the service. With Honda after you give the car in the mechanic will go under it and check and give a report to the SA. Only after checking with me do they proceed with any additional work.
Old 1st July 2012, 16:20   #296
BHPian

Many times I have wondered Misquitus is officially a part of Hyundai . Just a joke . No offence meant . But I am really happy there are few fully satisfied Hyundai customers .
I remember spending about 12.5k just for a body repair which would have hardly costed 3-4k if had opted for an garage outside or if had been maruti,maximum it would have been 7k.

Last edited by rki2007 : 1st July 2012 at 16:21.
rki2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2012, 21:49   #297
Distinguished - BHPian

Has any one recently changed the clutch plate for i10? If so, please let me know the cost for the same. My brother-in-law has a i10 and Trindent Hyundai has asked him to change the clutch plate @ Rs 11500. He denied because he didn't feel any discomfort with the clutch.

His 30K Servicing bill was around Rs 7000 and for 35K Servicing they have charged Rs 4800(It includes engine oil change @ Rs 815 - Not sure if they replaced it completely or just a top-up, Fuel injector cleaning @ Rs 325, Wheel Balancing/Alignment @ Rs 1000, Labor cost around 1100 etc.).
Also, I believe engine oil change is at every 10K only, but here they have done it at 30K Serving and again at 35K Servicing.
Old 21st July 2012, 07:49   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
A friend who owns a Sonata CRDI just gave his car for clutch job at 90k kms, typical of Hyundai CRDI cars the flywheel is the weakest link and at the time of clutch job whole kit including Flywheel, pressure plate and clutch plate have to be changed. The flywheel(DMF??) alone costs 65k Rupees before tax, the whole clutch job cost him around 1,12,000 Rupees, that's more expensive than even VW Jetta(Old) and Skoda Laura.

Just because they use Mineral Oil the service cost is lower than Laura, otherwise Filters and other stuff is even more expensive than my Laura.
The second hand Verna that I previously owned went for a clutch job in march (about 1 lakh kms) because the release bearing broke, the clutch pedal got jammed and the clutch got fried.

However they just changed the clutch plate, pressure plate and the release bearing. Total cost Rs. 12000.

However they do try to push for injector cleaning, underbody rust protection etc. for every service.
Old 21st July 2012, 11:04   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Has any one recently changed the clutch plate for i10? If so, please let me know the cost for the same. My brother-in-law has a i10 and Trindent Hyundai has asked him to change the clutch plate @ Rs 11500. He denied because he didn't feel any discomfort with the clutch.
If the car is not in warranty, you can get the clutch plate changed at any Bosch service center. They stock genuine Bosch spares and are reasonably priced too. Even Brake pads are much cheaper at Bosch compared to the company service shop.
hrman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2012, 12:28   #300
Senior - BHPian

Clutch overhaul costs around 4-5k for Santro at Hyundai Authorised Service Center. Shouldnt cost around double for an i10.

Also, noticed that the flywheel and other parts as used by them were the same which my neighbourhood mechanic was telling me at half the price, I didnt trust him as opening the clutch is one of the trickiest jobs and should be done at a proper place only.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks