Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2014, 18:01   #391
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai India, unreasonable long term maintenance and service practices!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post

BTW, in your bill, the Mileage is entered as 128676 . You better get it corrected in the HASS database!
Ya the same has been informed to them and it will be updated in 2-3 days. Last when I had been to service station it was 28676 Km, but unfortunately it was entered as 128676 which I did not notice.

Hopefully in next 2 days it should be rectified in their system. Do they have a customer portal for their customers to track all that?
Old 15th February 2014, 08:48   #392
Distinguished - BHPian

There is nothing wrong in your bill amount. There are lot of unnecessary items carried out which has bloated the bill amount. That germ clean is a 3m cleaning package.

I am not sure if you had authorized engine flush, oil additive, Silencer coating, AC cleaning. But if you knock off all the additional stuff done the bill comes to 8 to 9k which is perfectly reasonable for 30k service. So don't worry
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2014, 13:21   #393
BHPian

I spend 3-4k a year excluding oil on my Elantra for service. Having seen 4 Hyundais I think they are really cheap to maintain. Unless you fall for things which Sagarpadaki mentions such as germ cleaning, oil flushing, engine decarb, oil additive, silencer coating blah blah.
Old 15th February 2014, 19:39   #394
BHPian

I Have a Hyundai i10 and a Honda City ( 3rd Generation ) right now . Both of them i get serviced once in 6 months . I end up spending more for the i10 than the city . Prior to the City i had the Hyundai Accent . Even the Accent servicing costs were more than the City ( A Lot more )

Both these cars i use right now are not New . In fact they are 4 years old now. But small little part failures have started to happen on Hyundai ( Switches going bad / Horn Conk off ) . and so on .
The City just seems bullet proof .

Needless to say when i replace the i10 ( Auto Sportz) which my brother and dad use , it would be the Brio or the Amaze.
I am not saying the i10 is a not a good car. But it just seems to cost more to service .
Old 15th February 2014, 21:05   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Sad that most Indians don't care about ethics. No wonder why Maruti is the undisputable leader.
I do not understand the context when you say that most Indians don't care about ethics. I have seen all the service centres providing you bills for the service and job carried on the car. Such add-on jobs are carried out equally in Maruti too, their service is almost at par with Hyundai. They are indisputable leaders in sales.

If a person falls for unnecessary add-on jobs and gives his consent for carrying out these jobs, then he must not crib after paying the bill. Due diligence is must when the car is sent for service and one must know the do and don't of car servicing.
mints21 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 19:52   #396
BHPian

So what should be the necessary things to be done for Fluidic Verna crdi 30K ( one year old) service.? and what is not to be done ( to avoid rip off)..

Last edited by sk456 : 28th August 2014 at 19:57.
Old 28th August 2014, 21:27   #397
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk456 View Post
So what should be the necessary things to be done for Fluidic Verna crdi 30K ( one year old) service.? and what is not to be done ( to avoid rip off)..
Please check the car user manual maintenance section. You will get all the info
Old 18th September 2014, 20:42   #398
NKR
BHPian

Hi all I own an Accent CRDi (2004). The car has been serviced regularly. I have recently shifted to Pune. The car has been making a rattling noise while running and the steering column shakes and the car even vibrates.

I took the car to a mechanic yesterday and he suggested change of drive shafts which I carried out. ( I saw him fit the new drive shafts)

The problem still persists, the mechanic now says that it is a problem with the steering column.

What could be the problem and what could be the estimated cost of repair of the steering column
Old 18th September 2014, 23:54   #399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKR View Post
Hi all I own an Accent CRDi (2004). The car has been serviced regularly. I have recently shifted to Pune. The car has been making a rattling noise while running and the steering column shakes and the car even vibrates.

I took the car to a mechanic yesterday and he suggested change of drive shafts which I carried out. ( I saw him fit the new drive shafts)

The problem still persists, the mechanic now says that it is a problem with the steering column.

What could be the problem and what could be the estimated cost of repair of the steering column
Please check the Strut mounts at the top of both front struts. Bad Steering column will cause the steering to rattle/vibrate, but its unusual to make your car Vibrate.

Keep the car in neutral and turn the Steering both ways...have someone listen to unusual noises from the strut mount area. That will help you diagnose if the mounts are fine.

Running the car for a longtime with bad strut mounts will cause the steering column to go kaput. But please make sure that you have the mounts fine and the you can go ahead with the steering column

Last edited by shineshine : 18th September 2014 at 23:57.
Old 19th September 2014, 18:27   #400
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Job no 1: Replace drive shaft boots.

Story behind the job. One side axle aka CV assembly was brand new and costed sweet 27,000 INR. Reason given for the cost was, being an automatic, axle is different and costly. Accepted. For your reference manual model axle unit is approx 8000 Rs. So basically this part alone is 3 times the cost.
So finally came back a full circle with this thread. The car agains started making the shaft sound and it was diagnosed as the BRAND NEW OE HYUNDAI replacement part put by the dealership!! FYI no boot cut nor any external impact signs! Just under 15k kms run drive shaft.

This time around i decided to move my lazy butt and find out details of parts available outside. Went to Bay 6 on Sarjapur side (an independent garage) to get the job done. The supplier in BLR offered a Korean made one for ~8 k INR. Installed it and has been running fine for last 1 month or so.

Moral of the story no point getting OE parts at exorbitant price from Hyundai. They also don't guarantee peace of mind or longevity. Touch wood, the second hand one replaced on the other end is doing fine so far.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2014, 11:08   #401
NKR
BHPian

There is a noise like ' Truk' low noise. when the sterring wheel is turned. When the car is driven, say downhill without engaging the clutch no throbbing/vibrating noise is present. However as the clutch is engaged the noise comes on and becomes progressively worse.
Old 4th November 2014, 08:47   #402
BHPian

I too am facing issues with the ECM of my 2010 i20 Sportz. It's sad that a part like ECM can start giving issues without any apparent damage just after 4 years. Apparently the mean time between failure for such part is supposed to be extremely high. And this is a part which Hyundai cannot repair and the only option is replacement which costs 40K! All this despite the car being regularly serviced exclusively at Hyundai's authorized service centers.
Old 4th November 2014, 10:20   #403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carZest View Post
I spend 3-4k a year excluding oil on my Elantra for service. Having seen 4 Hyundais I think they are really cheap to maintain. Unless you fall for things which Sagarpadaki mentions such as germ cleaning, oil flushing, engine decarb, oil additive, silencer coating blah blah.
The service adviser showed me the user manual of i20 when I told him that engine decarbonization is not recommended by Hyundai. I was surprised to find that it is an action item for i20 every 20,000 kms or so.
PatienceWins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2014, 10:39   #404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKR View Post
There is a noise like ' Truk' low noise. when the sterring wheel is turned. When the car is driven, say downhill without engaging the clutch no throbbing/vibrating noise is present. However as the clutch is engaged the noise comes on and becomes progressively worse.
The steering wheel issue is a known Hyundai issue. You need to check with service center on this. They have done part replacement - free of cost - for several customers.
vivek.ks is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2014, 10:45   #405
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Apparently the mean time between failure for such part is supposed to be extremely high
The ECM is never supposed to fail and must run as long as the car should. Never had a problem till today in an '06 getz.
Did you open it, try to get a remap etc? Did you spray water in the engine bay? These things can easily cause malfunction.

Most Viewed