Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2011, 15:42   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyundai India, unreasonable long term maintenance and service practices!

@Jaggu: My two bits on your experience - if you swap the "Hyundai India" in the title to any other name that manufactures cars in India, it will continue to be valid. The previous owner of the car was also advised not to spend 27k to replace the drive shaft, and you are also recommended not to spend 18k to replace the steering rack. You are not exactly a newbie with your first car who doesn't even know the difference between a radiator and distributor, and you have competently maintained a CJ for long enough to know how the Indian car parts and FNG market operates. Then, I wonder, why did you go into aa bayl mujhe maar mode? Case study? The pages of this forum give you access to longitudinal as well as cross-sectional analyses to such an extent that doing one more study would not really add much to the pool of knowledge.

For the benefit of other readers, may I suggest that if you are totally unaware about how a car works, and/or do not have a competent freelancing mechanic to do your work for you, then by all means, do take your out-of-warranty car to the authorised service centre - but stand by to spend astronomically. OTOH, when covered within warranty, stick to the ASC/A$$. At the end of the warranty period, change to another car - or take your car to a freelance expert, who will do better work at much lesser cost.
Old 19th February 2011, 16:03   #62
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
there was an issue in my accent wherein when i press the gas, it stops momentarily and then moves forward. It was immediately identified and fixed by them at no cost.
I have experienced this in my i20 too, but it automatically vanished after some days. Eager to know what was the cause in your case.

Quote:
Similarly, my advisor in Hyundai delayed brake pads replacement until almost 35K kms wherein other dealers if given a chance will advice and replace at the drop of a hat. Lakshmi Hyundai has always given me fair advice and tried to save me money while most dealers like many previous posts mentioned are out there to make money.
On my first paid service (19000 k.m) the SA pushed for the same. I told him not to change until i reach the A.S.S and personally will have a look. Later he said if your running is low then no worry it will last till next service.

Also on my last service they said there is a play in the front struts and it needs a replacement under warranty. After the job done i asked for the replaced part in which the shown me this.
Hyundai India, unreasonable long term maintenance and service practices!-strut-medium.jpg

I called to my sources and found that its a i10 strut and not i20's, and i20 part no for the same is 546111J000. When i pointed out this to the SM he given a , and i m not sure whether they really changed the part or not.

Last edited by wildon : 19th February 2011 at 16:28.
Old 19th February 2011, 16:41   #63
BHPian

@wildon
isnt replace, under the purview of warranty, the most common word used at Hyundai A.S.S these days ? Gone are the days when the technicians would atleast make an attempt to identify the root cause of the problem and attempt a repair of the same. Now, it is only hit and miss-trial and error method the A.S.S follow.

And yes, today it is important to be present at the workshop when your vehicle is being serviced/ repairs carried out in order to be sure what goes where. You are a smart one, you found out the part number and pointed it out, but many customers all over India would have been, and will definitely be, fooled by these A.S.S. No one to take stock of it as the Area Manager / Regional Manager also have a share on it.

What i find most apalling is that our own fellow citizens are fooling customers and taking them for a ride. All these people know about the Hyundai US recall of the Sonata and when questioned about the same, they have nothing but blank smile to give. One Regional Manager had the audacity to tell that next time a problem crops up(rattle), we will come down to your residence and carry out repairs. On being questioned about the practicality of the same, this RM said he had been long enough in th business to pull of such a thing. From then on he never had the courage to answer my calls. This person has come to Hyundai from Skoda!!! I guess that's how Skoda and its employees have been "Since 1893"
Old 19th February 2011, 17:00   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
I called to my sources and found that its a i10 strut and not i20's, and i20 part no for the same is 546111J000. When i pointed out this to the SM he given a , and i m not sure whether they really changed the part or not.
before we leave our vehicles at these so called A.S.S, it is important to find out the part numbers for the being replaced, to verify at a later date whether the part being replaced is geniune/intended for the vehicle concerned.

In Wildon's case he was able to find out the original part number meant for his car and point out the same to the WM, but how many of us have sources like this?

Is there any way we can find out the original part number for the parts being replaced at the A.S.S or elsewhere? Please reply
Old 19th February 2011, 19:43   #65
BHPian

It migth interest you that during one of the service camps by Om hyundai in my city, the SA checked the engine oil level and informed me that the engine oil level is low and that the engine oil need to be changed(another word for replace!!!). II asked him for a simple explanation, when there was no oil leakage spot where the vehicle was parked how had the oil level dipped.He just looked at me and said "nahi woh to badlana padega" , why he had no idea. The fact is, the car had just been brought to a halt!!!
Old 19th February 2011, 22:08   #66
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkanchan View Post
Is there any way we can find out the original part number for the parts being replaced at the A.S.S or elsewhere? Please reply
The Part No and Part Description which is used for the service will be mentioned in the Tax invoice we get from A.S.S.
Old 19th February 2011, 22:20   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
The Part No and Part Description which is used for the service will be mentioned in the Tax invoice we get from A.S.S.
ok, but how do we know the parts used are being meant for our own vehicle. Wildon, in your case you were able to find out from your sources that the part number belonged to i-10.
Old 19th February 2011, 22:59   #68
Team-BHP Support

Update 2: Trident Hyundai rep called me and blamed it on the company for not providing parts LMFAO!! Later the SA also called me and immediately got a message asking me to give 9.5/10 rating from trident. Later i saw a email from Trident person who had called me in the morning.

I have also clearly replied back.

More details when i get time and i will reply to the comments also ^^^
Old 21st February 2011, 10:53   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Living cost of those mechanics have changed, the overall salary for employees have changed and the spending power has definitely gone up. Blame it on the inflation and the sweet government
LOL yeah cost of living and inflation i guess, but 100% plus increase? Anyways i was referring to the whole check list, which is something any owner with a print out of the same can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
Jaggu: I can completely relate this to myself. Not with Hyundai but with Honda. Yes you heard it right!

As i said Honda is very clear and they have no qualms about it. They are clear about what they can and what they cannot and as the product cost goes up, the policy's become stricter and parts costlier. Honda being premium tag, i can understand the attitude, though I DO NOT agree with it.

But expecting the same from Hyundai which is supposed to carry a more common man portfolio and that too specifically for their entry segment??

Honda has drive shaft boots even for ANHC but yes they admit they dont have it for the CBU Crv. Was Santri Xing a CBU???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
See, it is a common scenario across most(rather almost all) authorized service stations. Replace instead of repair.
What is worrisome is the customer does not have much choice, especially if the dealer insist that its the company that is making them do this? Only reason why i have not changed the thread title also

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
So you are the owner of 'the' Santro AT... nice. Congrats.

Did you check the prices of the 2 major parts with the stockists/wholesalers in bangy.

Damn these guys - felt really sorry for my co-worker, made him shift HASS to Hosur
I have not got time to do any of this, but you just gave me a brilliant idea! I will confirm to you in a week if am coming over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Crikey, I need to monitor my mother's Getz service bills closely at this rate.
Yeah the Getz i know is soon out in market and guess what, owner has decided on her own, NO MORE Hyundai lol

Quote:
While my experience with Hyundai A.S.S has been phenomenal primarily due to my relationship with a few folks from Lakshmi Hyundai who take care of my car with special interest. I
============
Similarly, my advisor in Hyundai delayed brake pads replacement until almost 35K kms wherein other dealers if given a chance will advice and replace at the drop of a hat.
How many of us have time and energy or understanding to become pally with the service guys? Look at it from a common mans view point.

35k brake pad replacement? You drive or... what?? In my car its 50k and still on OE pads, and its a diesel also lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
@Jaggu: My two bits on your experience - if you swap the "Hyundai India" in the title to any other name that manufactures cars in India, it will continue to be valid. The previous owner of the car was also advised not to spend 27k to replace the drive shaft, and you are also recommended not to spend 18k to replace the steering rack.
Not really SS, as i mentioned i did not come up with this thread on an impulse. I took my sweet time and research, only when i saw that crown of this title belongs to Hyundai. I decided to bestow it.

FYI previous owner was given an option to replace the other side CV boots, only thing it was not available and was asked to wait so that they can order. So do you smell something fishy? Well i do and i want some kind of answer from Hyundai on this.

Right now this is where thing are, the rep from dealer called me. He started by saying i had a complaint against them and that i was quoted 27k estimate. So i stopped him and said that i had clearly mentioned in my email that as secondary issue. Primary was the steering rack issue and was quoted only 18k.

So he blamed it on Hyundai and said that unless part is available from the manufacturer, they cannot do the job, even if they want to. So i said fair enough and i will wait to hear from Hyundai themselves.

Evening when i checked the email i saw an email from him mentioning i dont have any concerns with the service provided. To which i have promptly replied that for what job was done i had no issues, but i do have issues with the work that were denied. Now since according to him this is a problem with Hyundai, i cannot blame the dealer anymore.

I ensured that i marked cc to Hyundai customer care while quoting my complaint number.

As of now i don't have much hope that this is getting resolved. As someone else mentioned Hyundai as a manufacturer seems to be the culprit and will go with their dealer more than the customer. A customer like me a very small fish to make any difference to them.

If i don't hear from them for a day or two. I will go ahead with getting things resolved elsewhere and will post the update.

Just FYI:

For these two minor repair, approx cost outside will be Rs 2200 to 2500 Vs Rs 45,000. So net loss for the customer is Rs 42,xxx! 42 THOUSAND! Which is approximately 10% of the price of this particular model from Hyundai!

This is for a car which has done just 34000 kms!

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st February 2011 at 11:16.
Old 21st February 2011, 11:21   #70
Senior - BHPian

Loads of people i know have corrected me when i said "maintaining a Hyundai is cheap".
one of my friend expressed his views regarding the outrageously priced accent crdi Viva spares.
"even the fiats are cheaper" he said.
Old 21st February 2011, 13:15   #71
BHPian

Quote:

While my experience with Hyundai A.S.S has been phenomenal primarily due to my relationship with a few folks from Lakshmi Hyundai who take care of my car with special interest. Infact, there was an issue in my accent wherein when i press the gas, it stops momentarily and then moves forward. It was immediately identified and fixed by them at no cost.

During the 6 cars that I have owned over the last decade, I follow a simple policy. Take the cars to A.S.S until the free services are available, post that I take it to a authorized dealer who I know too well.
From my experience too, knowing somebody significant at the dealer makes a LOT of difference. But, that is not what we can count on all the time, as Jaggu rightly pointed out.

Hyundai dealer in Thrissur is so poor that I used to take my car to Kochi for even regular services all the time .

Seems the whole company has such an attitude, especially w.r.t. recommending replacement of whole "assemblies" instead of parts. Maybe they should have an "assembly price list" just as well .
Old 21st February 2011, 13:23   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh View Post
The same rack issue happened with my cousin Santro and he was also given an estimate cost of INR 18k's. He got the seal replaced outside for 400 bucks!
I got the exact same quote for my old santro. Looks like a company wide policy of ripping of unsuspecting customers.
Old 21st February 2011, 14:01   #73
Senior - BHPian

Success in Indian market seems to have gone to their head.
Old 21st February 2011, 14:17   #74
Senior - BHPian

Another this that comes up is the ability of the Service Engineers to pin point the issue. If the seal is damaged they should pin point the root cause. If the damage is cause due to rack or I would say cause of the iron (body) then there is no option then to replace the whole assembly. How ever if this is happening quite often (% of the total population), the Company should look at having a better metallurgy.

How ever if any failure is due to temporary issue and is not cyclic then the dealer should replace the part at piece level.

Another issue that is rampant is that dealership charges customers of the said part but then the same is comes free to dealership under warranty from Company. Many times the service letters / Product Improvement Program / Product Support Program is not even offered to customer and the same is enjoyed by the dealer.

I telling this cause previously I have worked in a Dealership and seen all that .
Old 21st February 2011, 14:18   #75
BANNED

All dealers try these techniques. After all they make most of the money on service and not on sales. That's why it is compulsory to service the car at the dealership to keep the warranty valid.

Best option is to go to an independent workshop. Wonder why there are not many reputed chains of these workshops here in India. They could give the A.S.S. a real run for their money.

Last edited by Live To Jive : 21st February 2011 at 14:23.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks