Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2011, 14:44   #76
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai India, unreasonable long term maintenance and service practices!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
@Jaggu: My two bits on your experience - if you swap the "Hyundai India" in the title to any other name that manufactures cars in India, it will continue to be valid. The previous owner of the car was also advised not to spend 27k to replace the drive shaft, and you are also recommended not to spend 18k to replace the steering rack. You are not exactly a newbie with your first car who doesn't even know the difference between a radiator and distributor, and you have competently maintained a CJ for long enough to know how the Indian car parts and FNG market operates. Then, I wonder, why did you go into aa bayl mujhe maar mode? Case study? The pages of this forum give you access to longitudinal as well as cross-sectional analyses to such an extent that doing one more study would not really add much to the pool of knowledge.
I beg to differ here. Hyundai as a company has gained a reputation in India as a common man's car, especially with the Santro and the way the dealerships are going all out to fleece customers in the name of replacements should not be allowed to flourish.

Earlier Ford India was guilty of the very same practice and they surely paid the price for it with dismal sales and also rebukes from those looking at buying a car, but choosing to ignore a Ford product. They are yet to totally get rid of that image even today.

If Hyundai provides their dealers a free hand to fleece customers without any restraint, they are only going to go the same way.

For the benefit of customers, i would hope that Hyundai India take notice of customer greivances and address the issue.
Old 21st February 2011, 14:58   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
That's why it is compulsory to service the car at the dealership to keep the warranty valid.
Why only dealership workshops? Even Hyundai authorized Independent service centers can work on your car and retain warranty.

I used to get my Santro serviced at Autoland (Udupi). They are listed in Hyundai India website under authorized service center. Autoland never gave a bill bigger than 3K at any time over 4 years.
Old 21st February 2011, 15:06   #78
Senior - BHPian

They use that route only in places they do not operate directly Samurai. Very high resistance from existing dealerships in allowing these independent people into their geography. This was supposedly modelled on the Maruti model - Authorised Spares Centres, Service and Spares Centres, Sales, Service and Spares Centres (what is otherwise called '3S')- based on the conversation I had with the head of South - Hyundai's Service, sometime in Dec 2008. (A search for such centres in Bangalore throws up nothing!)

I had already raised the other issue earlier!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...nter-sale.html

Last edited by kb100 : 21st February 2011 at 15:17.
Old 21st February 2011, 15:54   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
They use that route only in places they do not operate directly Samurai. Very high resistance from existing dealerships in allowing these independent people into their geography.
In Udupi, the Kanchana Hyundai and Autoland are within 2kms of each other, bang on NH-17. And Autoland obviously enjoys much higher customer satisfaction compared to Kanchana. The more cars Kanchana sells, more customers Autoland gets.

Last edited by Samurai : 21st February 2011 at 15:56.
Old 21st February 2011, 16:05   #80
BHPian

Dear BHPians from Bangalore

Are there any good independent H.A.S.S in Bangalore? Appreciate if you can share the contact details and location..

Cheers
Old 21st February 2011, 17:33   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
Dear BHPians from Bangalore

Are there any good independent H.A.S.S in Bangalore? Appreciate if you can share the contact details and location..

Cheers
Unfortunately - NonE! :(

The places its available in South India are...

In Karnataka its there only in Bijapur, Davengere, Tumkur and Udupi.

In AP in Cudappa, Kakinada, Khammam, Nizamabad, Tadepalligudam,

In TN in Tuticorin, Theni, Thanjavur, Neyveli, Namakkal, Karur, Dindigul, Chengalpul, Chidambaram, and Surprise-Surprise- THREE IN CHENNAI!

In Kerala - Adoor, Muvattupuzha, Kayamkulam, Kottarakara, and Thodupuzha.

Clearly evident that except for Chennai (why I wonder?) none of the major cities in any state has an Independent service center!
Old 21st February 2011, 17:34   #82
BHPian

I agree to Jaggu's concerns about Hyundai A.S.S and also their cost effectiveness.
i have a i10 AT. When i had gone for the first "free" service my bill was about 1.5K(750 for interior detailing even though i had not asked specifically). The second "free" service was about 1K.. that day i had fever and when he brought the car.. i just threw the money at him and went. the next day when i saw the car was not even cleaned. this is trident hyundai @ kalyannagar. So far very bad experience with them. for the next service planning to try someone else.

One of my close friend has a santro. he had gone for silencer noise and he was ripped off for 10K.. and when he showed me the bill.. i was shocked... he had not asked for teflon, 3M interoir but it was all there...

now when i start the noise of the engine is more. so i dont know whats up for me when i go and show the issue.
Old 22nd February 2011, 10:36   #83
Team-BHP Support

Update: Since the last email from Trident rep and my reply with cc to Hyundai, there has been a silence.

Does that mean this is the policy supported by Hyundai India? Am not surprised
Old 22nd February 2011, 11:19   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Update: Since the last email from Trident rep and my reply with cc to Hyundai, there has been a silence.

Does that mean this is the policy supported by Hyundai India? Am not surprised
They don't have a solution to give you Jaggu. They just want it on record that they initiated contact and attempted to solve your issue. They have a policy and if your issue is not in line with it, then they will ignore you and hope the problem will go away. It generally will, since you will find a solution for your problem elsewhere.

We really need to find secondary sources for parts .. and labour! Nothing like a lil competition to keep people honest!
Old 22nd February 2011, 15:21   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
They have a policy and if your issue is not in line with it, then they will ignore you and hope the problem will go away. It generally will, since you will find a solution for your problem elsewhere.

We really need to find secondary sources for parts .. and labour! Nothing like a lil competition to keep people honest!
Hyundai is really good at playing Ostrich and this only shows how good they have become at this game. What HMIL does not realise is that with this attitude, they are not only shooing existing customers away but even prospective customers will not look at Hyundai. "Caring for you...always" was Hyundai's motto, but only till March 31 2006 when B.V.R Subbu decided step down and away from Hyundai. I wonder was it because of Hyundai's attitude that Subbu decided to bid good bye to this Korean giant. Whatever the reason, it is we the customers who are taking bearing the brunt of it.

One thing is very clear though, Hyundai will spend billions of dollars on creating an ad campaign and call it NEW, Hyundai will spend an equal amount to face-lift its models, spend another astronomical figure to build cars for the European market(and still give them a clattering metal box for a car), spend millions to generate enough ad revenue to silence the media(both electronic and print), but will treat customers, who are the real asset, like dirt. Hyundai will not spend a single cent on customer feedback. If Hyundai really feels there is no problem with their vehicles, let them come out clean with a press conference, inviting all customers with reported problems to attend the same.

Many of the Hyundai employeed keenly follow this forum, one particluar person, an Area Manager with Hyundai Gujarat, i had met even had the team-BHP stickers pasted all over his car, A Hyundai Eantra, and has been an active member since 2006. Is he worth being called a BHPian?

Being a BHPian does not mean only to be a member of this forum, it is how you carry yourself in real life that matters. Sitting like a Ostrich, ducking his head in the storm, hoping it will go away, is not the quality of a BHPian. While registering at this forum we all have answered the question Why Team-BHP? Its now because we want to share our views about cars, its not because we want to express ourselves(there are many other media to do that).The answer is obvious, it our passion for vehicles that has brought us all together here, its the truth that Team-BHP stands for that has brought us together. A BHPian stands for the truth, and will fight for it till the end. Selling your soul to the company and be an pawless, toothless tiger will not get them anywhere. Hope Hyundai gets the message soon before its too late.

Introducing new cars is not a big thing, any company can do it. Its how you treat the customer after sales that really matters. Are Hyundai cars cheap to maintain, the answer is definitely a BIG NO and all customers will agree with this. The market is blooming and the others are catching up fast, wont be too late before Hyundai is toppled over and beaten black and blue by the competition. And i will eagerly look forward to that day.

Last edited by saurabhkanchan : 22nd February 2011 at 15:25.
Old 22nd February 2011, 16:17   #86
Senior - BHPian

Somehow I always felt Hyundai bought the automotive media. Either directly through largesse or through ads. Their cars have been getting rave reviews since they set foot on Indian soil. They may be good but certainly not as great as media would have us believe. And in recent years they lost the VFM factor completely.

Also, of all the cars out there in the market, the Hyundai car owners appear most vocal about their cars. Now I am beginning to wonder if Hyundai employees are masquerading as car onwers to further their cause.
Old 22nd February 2011, 16:45   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Somehow I always felt Hyundai bought the automotive media.
it is no secret that Hyundai has bought the automotive media else why would the so called ''best'' magazines not report the problem. What Car? magazine carried out a report on the rattling issue in the July 2010 edition. The following month Hyundai carried out a 10 page leaflet in Autocar India praising the i-20 and from then on nobody from the magazine has bothered to reply to our mails.

The magazine used the steering rattle to their advantage and earned some bucks. Let them deny this is public, the proof is for everybody to see and read. It does not take long to find out the chain of events that would have occured. HMIL saw the Ad, contacted Autocar, which is the parent magazine of What Car?, a deal was struck and finally the Ad . Why else would they not reply to our mails? From then on there has been no mention of the rattle in the magazine. In June 2010 we were contacted by the magazine for the details themselves, in response to our e-mail.

It does not take long to figure out that the automotive media has been bought over by the Hyundai. "We will keep the cash flowing, you refrain from publishing the problems" is the present motto of Hyundai

Is it so hard to see why

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
If Hyundai provides their dealers a free hand to fleece customers without any restraint, they are only going to go the same way.

For the benefit of customers, i would hope that Hyundai India take notice of customer greivances and address the issue.
The dealer in Junagadh had gone to the extent of saying" mujhe isse kuch lena dena nahi hai, mujhe bas mera paisa mil jaan achahiye", referring to a Hyundai accent being inspected by the Area Manager which had premature rusting problem.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 5th July 2018 at 07:59. Reason: Merging consecutive posts as requested
saurabhkanchan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2011, 17:52   #88
Senior - BHPian

Saurabhkanchan, this issue really calls for a full-fledged thread. As you have rightly pointed out, the Hyundai-centric articles in automotive media always raise a stink. Open and blatant favouritism.

We often hear about giant corporations and their underlying greed and sleaze. Here is one glaring example.
Old 22nd February 2011, 17:54   #89
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Somehow I always felt Hyundai bought the automotive media. Either directly through largesse or through ads. Their cars have been getting rave reviews since they set foot on Indian soil. They may be good but certainly not as great as media would have us believe. And in recent years they lost the VFM factor completely.

Also, of all the cars out there in the market, the Hyundai car owners appear most vocal about their cars. Now I am beginning to wonder if Hyundai employees are masquerading as car onwers to further their cause.
Exactly my opinion! Reading many such magazine and online reports, I was also thinking the same.

When such (nd)TV experts compare the rear seat leg space of, say, i10, they will move the first row seat to the front maximum, and show the rear space! While they show the rear seat leg space for Wagon-R, they will move the first row seat to the back maximum, and tell "how cramped it is!".

Regarding the VFM factor: we all know how over-priced the i10 1.2 when compared to Swift. Same is the case for i20.

Regarding the over-spoken Hyundai owners, many Hyundians in Team-BHP itself move from thread-to-thread and promote Hyundai car when somebody says, say, he has short-listed Swift and Figo.

Other than the interior quality and looks of the latest Hyundai cars, what is there to boast about?

Below average service experience?
Highly priced spare parts?
'Smoking' diesel engines?
Very high over-hauling cost of their Diesel engines?
Mileage figures of 20+ in advertisements (only)?
Huge difference between ARAI figures and on-road mileage?
Single digit mileage of i10AT?
Reflecting beige dashboards?
Rusting Santros?
Boat-like highway drive?
Severe steering column rattles of i20 when compared to mere body panel rattles of Swift?
Un-ethical comparison between their own cars and rival cars?
Stolen designs?

Once a thief, always a thief!

Last edited by romeomidhun : 22nd February 2011 at 18:03.
Old 22nd February 2011, 18:13   #90
Senior - BHPian

The Awards and reviews are always bought , again I know that cause I work in an Industry of similar nature. This is quite rampant. Most of my esteemed members / friends of the forum for that reason do not read some magazines.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks