Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2011, 15:58   #46
BHPian

Re: Hyundai India, unreasonable long term maintenance and service practices!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
Bhoosh..party pending!

I did find their sales team rather disinterested. Lesser said about their product knowledge the better!

I am not very convinced with their diagnostic ability. Their trial & error approach is unfortunately at our expense!
Haha good one, Sujit! You had me there for a moment! ;-)

I just happen to think its a double whammy of volume & product quality thats letting them down in service. Its easy to make & service a ton of Santros for over a decade- a rough & tumble car for a generation grown up on Fiats and little clue about what finesse but times are a changin' and Hyundai is not!
Old 18th February 2011, 16:10   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
What I will not stand is a car being sold with a defective steering rack design. It beats me how Hyundai are selling so many i20 cars. Are people not aware of this problem? I am sure everyone buys a car after doing extensive research but it looks like the majority do not know about the steering rack fault.

I have always heard that Hyundai's are next to Suzuki when it comes to cheap ownership costs but this threads says its the exact opposite.
look up for skanchan95's thread in the long term ownership report titled One Year of Rattled up Ownership. The answer given by the technical staff and the vendor was that there was a design issue with the vehicle's steering but has not been sorted out. If the design has been changed, why is it that owners are still complaining about the rattle? The Area Manager had pointed out that in India no R & D is done on the Hyundai vehicles, only trimming-cosmetic changes- are applied to already done up vehicles. If a vehicle is designed for roads abroad they will definitely under-perform in India where goods roads are hard to find. That being said, there have been the same complaints about 1-20s in Europe, South Africa and the UK, Hyundai does not have an answer to it. Had this vehicle been sold in the US and this rattle would have cropped up, Hyundai definitely would have taken corrective measures for the same, fearing NHTSA.

Beats me how Hyundai is ranked 2nd in the J.D Power Asia survey. As you have pointed out, everyone does extensive research before buying a vehicle but when these very owners take the vehicle to the service centre pointing out a problem, the standard answer given by Hyundai dealers across the country (which i am sure most BHPians would vouch for this) is to replace the part. And if you insist, you tend to be called the "insane" customer.

IMO Hyundai cars are expensive to maintain because of the worthless, good for nothing service centers. Technical know-how is absolutely zero, once we approached the famed Service center in Junagadh with a request to check the temperature sensor for the outside environment, the reply from the SA, WM: " we dont have the norms to check it". We did not even make an attempt to understand the meaning of his reply. Asked where the sensor was located, he had a blank look on his face.
Old 18th February 2011, 16:41   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkanchan View Post
look up for skanchan95's thread in the long term ownership report titled One Year of Rattled up Ownership.
Have read this thread in detail and I don't know how you are living with this. If some law worked in this country you could have had your money back in full.

What I can't understand is why Hyundai are not fixing the problem. They don't need any R&D for India. I mean common; it a steering rack rattle, this should be a simple thing to fix for a company like Hyundai. Replacing the rack with a new one thats still the old design for the sake of just keeping the customer happy does not help.
Old 18th February 2011, 16:41   #49
BHPian

I have a few stories that I could tell about Hyundai A-S-S and our Santro AT.

Most recent one is about AC belt noise - loud squeaking noise that drove us crazy for nearly a year. Three trips to HASS and Rs 3000 wasted. First time, they said it was not the AC at all and blamed the brakes - did some brake pad scuffing. Second time they kept the car for 5 days for observation and finally replaced the AC belt. Third time they simply said that "that much noise is normal sir. anyway it goes away after the car warms up, so don't worry".

By this time I saw the light and realized that those wrench-monkeys at HASS don't even know which end is which. Went to a Bosch Service Center for oil change and casually happened to mention the AC belt noise thing. The mech just pressed the belt with his finger a couple of times, said "yes it is a bit loose" and tightened it up in 5 mins - didn't even charge anything for it. Has been 3 months now and not a squeak was heard since.

I will never take the car to HASS again unless it is for warranty repair.

Cheers.
Old 18th February 2011, 18:05   #50
BHPian

My thread on Hyundai A.S.S. - my-email-hyundai-a-s-s-after-6-incidents-my-santro-xing-noida
Old 18th February 2011, 19:35   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
If you want to know the SA's names I can PM you.
=========
I read on T-BHP that Ford tries to do that. But I have never had instances to insist on the above, or more likely, not technically qualified to suggest any ideas to SAs on those lines. I generally take the position that they know better than I do if they are logical and I am satisfied with their explanations.
Thanks will drop you a PM if i plan to take the car there. Right now keeping my fingers crossed.

Ford- biggest issue was parts availability, atleast that was the case when i was having the iKON. Ford had kept a tight control on spares and was available only through dealership, who in turn would not sell over the counter. I have gone through the parts list in details at that time, and i have to admit, Ford was completely off the mark while judging the indian market. Where minor parts replacement and repair philosophy rules. Now things are supposed to be better, atleast parts are available elsewhere also. But things were very different some 5 years back.

With SA's i always try to take a passive approach, listen to them and then try to understand why they say yes or no to a job. This time i was super nice, the SA would really be surprised if he see's this thread. Coz i did not even raise my voice nor did i escalate to the Manager, which i usually do in times of conflict. I did this on purpose, just being a normal customer who may not really question.

Now i would like to see how as a manufacturer how Hyundai respond, more like a case study for me

I might not achieve anything or change anything at Hyundai BUT definitely would want to educate others if there is a problem in their approach. After that it is upto them to choose HASS or not. Personally i would still like to take the car to a HASS for regular service in future also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
Appreciate the optimistic view but this is not right (may I say many a times). Unless we open the service booklet and list down the things to be done as per manual, they tend to miss the scheduled checks/ changes.
Most of the better dealership i visit have this check lists in their job cards, coming to think of it i did not see it with Hyundai. I usually glimpse through the job card to see the "real" comments before paying up. MUL is very transparent about this, Honda also to an extent. Yes it is a different matter if they actually go through the check lists OR just tick through it. This is where personal rapport and assertion comes into picture. Last mess up at MASS (EGR cleaning being left out), i caught while going through the job card entry.

I am not talking about bill explanation, which was very well done by HASS, so does MUL. I often get bugged hearing them from the SA, as if we are there to implicate them all the while. Anyways its a good process at the end of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Very surprised to hear about expensive to maintain Hyundai cars. At this rate I don't see any reason why people call a Ford an expensive car to maintain.
============
I have always heard that Hyundai's are next to Suzuki when it comes to cheap ownership costs but this threads says its the exact opposite.
I also always believed that MUL and Hyundai are one of the cheapest brands to maintain. Unfortunately both have been increasing the service charges very silently. I still remember paying 400 bucks for general service 3 years back for Swift, where as now it has gone to 8xx bucks. I really fail to understand what has really changed in this 3 years? The checks are the same and almost very routine stuff like check/inspect this and that. Very rarely the mechanic needs to even use a tool to cover the things that are mentioned in these service check list. Most of the labor intensive stuff like brake cleaning they charge separate. Otherwise oil change, air filter clean up and maybe suspension tightening are the only things where they land up doing some physical work LOL.

So called 5 point and 10 point checks are a big joke if you ask me.

Surprisingly if i look at paise/km spent, Ford iKON would be the cheapest till date for me and i had the car for 7 years, but yes it had run only ~45,000 kms and was well taken care off. Most often the expenditure was due to lesser usage.
Old 18th February 2011, 19:54   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I still remember paying 400 bucks for general service 3 years back for Swift, where as now it has gone to 8xx bucks. I really fail to understand what has really changed in this 3 years?
Living cost of those mechanics have changed, the overall salary for employees have changed and the spending power has definitely gone up. Blame it on the inflation and the sweet government
Old 18th February 2011, 20:21   #53
BHPian

My 2 year old i10 off late is having a very hard clutch.
On my paid visit I was told to do some clutch overoil/overhaul..something
I asked is this normal and will it make it smooth for next few years.
the service person said , its normal to have this much clutch hardness.
however you can do and see and it "MAY" make it sooth.

I said so you will not guarantee it? he said no sir we cannot give guarantee.

I siad how come this happened in two years and there are other older cars not haveing this issue.

He says its your driving technique that would have screwed up the clutch.

I told him I will sell my car and never buy hyudai again if this is the answers you give.

YES, there service guys are becoming sales people , trying to extract money from any problems you tell them and not giving any valid explanations to any issues.
Old 18th February 2011, 20:35   #54
BHPian

Jaggu: I can completely relate this to myself. Not with Hyundai but with Honda. Yes you heard it right!

In my opinion, it is not just Hyundai but in general most dealer A.S.S. What I have seen is that there is no repair/fixing of issue, but 'replacement' is the only option given to customers. Like many others mentioned already, A.S.S way to make money as well.

My experience on the Sejal Motors Bangalore Thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
Thanks Benson for taking me there! :-)

Members: I happened to visit there during last Saturday, for a minor issue on my honda City ZX. There was a small noice while reversing and the issue (to do with the silencer exhaust pipe) was spotted and diagonsed earlier by my known friends, Honda service center etc.

Sejal Experience was really as said in this thread, it is a nice place to be and the service is very good and more importantly, I got a best solution to the problem where the Honda guys were quoting 30,000 INR (basically replacement and going for insurance claim), the guy at Sejal - Rajagopal - solved with 100 Rs (am not exaggerating)

Overall very happy with the service and the solution provided. They are really able to think outside the box and provide a best possible solution for the need

Thanks for sharing this details once again.
Regards,
narayanang76
To Summarise: I saved around 30000 INR (spent 100 Rs to fix the issue) by just going to an independent workshop and they were able to fix it properly with a simple work around solution. While Honda guys were suggesting replace the entire exhause pipes to fix the issue, the above workshop fixed it by adjusting one rubber bush which was holding the exhaust pipe. Which Honda A.S.S would never do. After fixing the issue, on my next service with Honda (yes I service my car with Dakshin Honda even after that) - and only go to independent places in case of these major / expensive repairs suggested by Dealers - my SA asked how did you fix it I said it was just a DIY and wouldnt tell you - why should I when he didnt help me?.

Jaggu - I would say - take it to a RELIABLE independent workshop, ask them to assess and give you a quote, and if you find it worthy, chuck the Hyundai A.S.S. If the only option is complete replacement then go to Hyundai A.S.S - that would be better.

I am sure you will have details of some reliable independent workshops, one Sejal motors (in TBHP Directory) I have personally experienced (Benny's reference as well)

All the best!
Old 18th February 2011, 21:01   #55
mxx
BHPian

See, it is a common scenario across most(rather almost all) authorized service stations. Replace instead of repair.
This is less in independent service stations (manufacturer authorized or not).
Old 18th February 2011, 21:43   #56
Senior - BHPian

So you are the owner of 'the' Santro AT... nice. Congrats.

Did you check the prices of the 2 major parts with the stockists/wholesalers in bangy.

Around a month ago I hijacked a bangy i10 owner away from Trident to Hosur (I know, been doing it off late a lot)... Reason : He drove into office one fine day with a shiny car after oil service (30000Km IIRC) - Bill was some 6500Rs, I assumed there was some major fluid change and probably all sparks or even the clutch was changed - turned out other than engine oil and oil filter almost every thing else was a FLEECE CHARGE. Interior, exterior, upholstery, AC Duct cleaning, paint touch up, etc etc...!! Damn these guys - felt really sorry for my co-worker, made him shift HASS to Hosur
Old 18th February 2011, 22:51   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
, made him shift HASS to Hosur
Have you used the Hosur facility Svsantosh? How good are they? Opinions and observations please!
Old 18th February 2011, 23:01   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
Have you used the Hosur facility Svsantosh? How good are they? Opinions and observations please!
Well, not used from a owners perspective, but know the owner of the place since they were the 1st HASS in hosur then grew to become the only hyundai dealer in hosur. Good growth, and as many would agree it is more of the mentality of the service guy aka mechanic to think beyond making money from new sale of spares. Plus - the volume of cars is fairly low and one gets to maintain a 1-1 relation with most of the guys inside the showroom/service station...

Have seen a similar story with Tata and Maruti TASS/MASS - lots of KA cars have started coming in and yes - all of them are well into their long term ownership periods...
Old 19th February 2011, 09:29   #59
Team-BHP Support

Crikey, I need to monitor my mother's Getz service bills closely at this rate.

Amazingly. Vinayak Skoda have twice told me that they need to replace certain parts like power steering pipes and leaky sump but they end up repairing it. Well the leaky sump was repaired twice then they said it was time to replace.
Old 19th February 2011, 09:37   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

My experience has been very different with Hyundai A.S.S and i am a big fan of Hyundai brand just for the reason of its low cost ownership

I owned a Santro (~40,000kms) for 4 years, an Accent (58,000kms) for roughly 4 years and currently own an i10 Kappa (10,000kms) for 2.5 years.

While my experience with Hyundai A.S.S has been phenomenal primarily due to my relationship with a few folks from Lakshmi Hyundai who take care of my car with special interest. Infact, there was an issue in my accent wherein when i press the gas, it stops momentarily and then moves forward. It was immediately identified and fixed by them at no cost.

Similarly, my advisor in Hyundai delayed brake pads replacement until almost 35K kms wherein other dealers if given a chance will advice and replace at the drop of a hat. Lakshmi Hyundai has always given me fair advice and tried to save me money while most dealers like many previous posts mentioned are out there to make money.

During the 6 cars that I have owned over the last decade, I follow a simple policy. Take the cars to A.S.S until the free services are available, post that I take it to a authorized dealer who I know too well. Thankfully, i have never experienced any warranty or major breakdown for any of my cars till now. Maybe one of the key reasons is also because i am very particular about service intervals, quality of job done and my usage of cars ( I handle all my cars with baby touch)

Its been a smooth running till date with all my cars. Hope I get to continue this run forever

Most Viewed