Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2011, 14:51   #226
BHPian

Re: Hyundai India, unreasonable long term maintenance and service practices!

Been reading this thread for long time and being a santro owner..even i would like to add something here.

I have my santro serviced either at safdarjung hyundai gurgaon or my A.S.S in sonipat. there is huge difference in service standards and cost.
Difference safdarjung gurgaon A.s.s sonipat
Throttle body cleaning 315 195
wiper blades both 112 91

this is just an example to show the difference. morever everytime i go to gurgaon, they would start with all such nuances head cleaning, engine flush, additive. while when i asked our ever reliable A.S.S owner, he says big NO. he said no flush no additive and no head cleaning before 1L Kms.

and to top it all my total at gurgaon comes in range of 3200 - 3800 and at sonipat 2000-2400.... what is this????

I have asked SA's at gurgaon multiple times and even their vice president serivce but no body answers....
Old 21st September 2011, 15:38   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjun_crsce View Post
I have my santro serviced either at safdarjung hyundai gurgaon or my A.S.S in sonipat. there is huge difference in service standards and cost.
Difference safdarjung gurgaon A.s.s sonipat
Throttle body cleaning 315 195
wiper blades both 112 91.
In Tata-Fiat, there is a difference in Service Costs between 'A-class' cities and 'B-class' cities. If Hyundai follows the same principle, that could be the reason why Safdarjung Gurgaon and Sonipat.

Also, many a times, in certain workshops, labour charges are fixed by the workshop manager who decides the quantum of labour involved and charges accordingly, especially for the well-known customers or out-of-warranty cars.

The fact that the Gurgaon ASC always has more to do on your car is either better diagnosis or plain rip-off.
Old 21st September 2011, 16:22   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
In Tata-Fiat, there is a difference in Service Costs between 'A-class' cities and 'B-class' cities. If Hyundai follows the same principle, that could be the reason why Safdarjung Gurgaon and Sonipat.

Also, many a times, in certain workshops, labour charges are fixed by the workshop manager who decides the quantum of labour involved and charges accordingly, especially for the well-known customers or out-of-warranty cars.

The fact that the Gurgaon ASC always has more to do on your car is either better diagnosis or plain rip-off.
That is true that there is difference in service costs and only service costs. what i have reffered here is a difference in charges for parts and labour costs for throttle cleaning...and safdarjung gurgaon VP service coudn't explain this to me...its only a rip off...

I know also labour charges are some times dictated by workshop but its states at the service desk where labour cost for various parts are mentioned that all these charges are stated by Hyundai India....
Old 21st September 2011, 23:43   #229
BHPian

I have given my Hyundai Getz Prime 1.1 for 30k Service in Express Hyundai Chennai.
I was satisfied with 25 k Service with them which costs me around 3500Rs.
But this time they say its a major service so its costly, please guide me if these appox estimations looks alright.

30 K service(Rs 6k to 7k)
This contains all oil changes Engine,gear,brake..spark plugs,coolent, air filter, oil filter, injector cleaning, wheel alignment, balancing.

Parts to be repaired:
Drive shaft (1 side i suppose) Rs 7500 approx, he asked me weather i wanted to go ahead with it. when i asked about the price, he said this is OE that we are ordering from company, you may get local parts cheaper outside. He never pushed the repairs but.

Rubbing polish: 2300 Rs
So total may come about 18k to 20 k service + parts repair.

Previously i used to give it outside local garage, they used to charge me 2200 Rs per service, but after a year i realized that they just used to do a oil change and water wash and give it. They never used to run all the checklist designated for the kms driven. After a service my car stalled once in road due to no acid in battery. i stopped giving to them and switched back to Hyundai Service center, these fellows fixed small small things which were missing in the car without my saying.

Please let me know if these prices are reasonable.
Old 22nd September 2011, 00:08   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish82 View Post
30 K service(Rs 6k to 7k).... Parts to be repaired:
Drive shaft (1 side i suppose) Rs 7500 approx
Is it just me who is looking at it in a biased way or are the drive shafts going way too early on quite a few Hyundais? Isn't 30,000 km too early for a drive shaft to be replaced?
Old 22nd September 2011, 00:12   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Is it just me who is looking at it in a biased way or are the drive shafts going way too early on quite a few Hyundais? Isn't 30,000 km too early for a drive shaft to be replaced?
I will not blame the car alone for this, But frankly speaking there is no ROADS IN CHENNAI to DRIVE A CAR! Frankly you wont believe a major road is dug up in one side for past 1 year and we are forced to use that road. Its a nightmare covering that road daily for 3 odd kms! But frankly though korean car or what ever there is no rattle at all in my Getz, The driveshaft noise is the from last 8 months and now increased.

Does Bad Roads can kill Drive shafts?
Old 22nd September 2011, 00:17   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish82 View Post
I will not blame the car alone for this, But frankly speaking there is no ROADS IN CHENNAI to DRIVE A CAR! Frankly you wont believe a major road is dug up in one side for past 1 year and we are forced to use that road. Its a nightmare covering that road daily for 3 odd kms! But frankly though korean car or what ever there is no rattle at all in my Getz, The driveshaft noise is the from last 8 months and now increased.

Does Bad Roads can kill Drive shafts?
No shortage of bad / non-existent roads in Delhi NCR either. In fact, apart from the torture of bad roads, I practically drive through 200 mm of awful smelling overflowing sewer water every day for 50 meters (what its doing to the rubber bushes of the suspension or the disc pads, God only knows!). By that logic, one should see a lot of drive shaft failures in cars in Delhi NCR as well.

IIRC, didn't this thread also start with a similar complaint amongst others?
Old 22nd September 2011, 10:28   #233
BHPian

Quote:
. By that logic, one should see a lot of drive shaft failures in cars in Delhi NCR as well.

IIRC, didn't this thread also start with a similar complaint amongst others?
I can say one thing, The quality of every thing has gone down and prices are up. Everything is now replaced than repaired. A TV, fridge etc.. are going for replacement and people dont want to use a product for 10 years or more. So the product is made in such a way that it lasts only for few years, May be that is the case of car components also.

I had a Maruti Zen before Authorized service center quoted 7Kfor cooling coil, i got that done from outside for 4K, it lasted for 1 year only then again i had to pay 7k and get it done. After these kind of experiences i never take risk outside and put shoddy parts. These are lesson learnt, and authorized parts are always costly.

Just think about a Airplane, where preventive maintenance is necessary. If they dont replace the parts at scheduled intervals so many lives will be in danger. Same thing with car, only thing it doesnt fly.
Some parts are needed to be replaced by Age and not by kms run as in the manual. 5000 km or 6 months (which is earlier). But we in a bid to save more money ignore this.
Old 27th September 2011, 18:14   #234
Senior - BHPian

Now, they've stopped selling parts OTC in dealerships!!

So for a simple however small the part be(even tiny lil' glove box bulb assembly), one has to take their car over to the dealership, get a job card opened and then they'll think about selling parts!!
This is just crazy!

Earlier, I just used to go to the dealership, tell them what I need and they used to give me the part and I paid the bill, done!!!

I do most of the stuff on my car myself and its really easy to do! There's no reason for unnecessarily hauling the vehicle to dealerships for getting a small part where the dealership guys will try and sneak in a scratch or something so that their bodyshop gets some work too! (happened with me before)

Is there any place in Delhi which sells hyundai genuine parts, OTC?

Last edited by sohail99 : 27th September 2011 at 18:20.
Old 27th September 2011, 18:37   #235
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post

So for a simple however small the part be(even tiny lil' glove box bulb assembly), one has to take their car over to the dealership, get a job card opened and then they'll think about selling parts!!
This is just crazy!

Earlier, I just used to go to the dealership, tell them what I need and they used to give me the part and I paid the bill, done!!!

I do most of the stuff on my car myself and its really easy to do! There's no reason for unnecessarily hauling the vehicle to dealerships for getting a small part where the dealership guys will try and sneak in a scratch or something so that their bodyshop gets some work too! (happened with me before)

Ha Ha!!
Welcome to us ford owner's world of misery.

Sorry, couldnt help it.
As far as i have seen, Hyundai parts are available profusely.
What are you looking for?
try paalika, kashmere gate.

only part i ever had trouble finding was the seal for between the headers and the block, so i think any intricate part may still be a bit hard to find, but stuff like airboxes/suspensions etc is available in the above two places.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2011, 19:03   #236
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Look up the directory section for the contact details of spare part shops
Old 27th September 2011, 20:24   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This is just crazy!
That's true sohail. When I went to KUN Hyundai in Chennai couple of months back asking for Body Cover for my cousin's Santro, I was told to bring the car and get a job card opened. I was shocked to hear this and the dealership said nothing can be done as this is their procedure. I just cursed Hyundai to myself and came back dejected. It makes sense atleast if its a part related to the mechanicals of the car but for a Job Card for a Body Cover? Utter nonsense!
Old 31st October 2011, 15:38   #238
Team-BHP Support

Update: Eventually it happened. Thanks to Hyundai's inability to source a drive shaft boot for Auto transmission Santro, the whole drive shaft went kaput one fine morning. Boot had torn into two pieces and intermittent rain driving resulted in messing up the CV join.

Hyundai India, unreasonable long term maintenance and service practices!-photo-1.jpg

I called up Hyundai and they confirmed 22+ thousand for the CV assembly and a wait for it to be shipped.

Checked up with another contact in Delhi and he said he can arrange the same for approx 10k. By chance i called up my jeep mech and he mentioned that he had a vehicle which has come for transmission transplant from Auto to Manual, coz the clutch has failed and Hyundai again is quoting some 80 grand for the part. The part was in decent shape and he offered it to me.

Boy i was glad, grabbed it and under 5k the job completed.

While at it noticed the darkening lens of the headlight, infact i noticed the same with many Santro's on the road. Decided to do a DIY and clean it up and it worked pretty well with some 3M rubbing compound

Before

Hyundai India, unreasonable long term maintenance and service practices!-photo-2.jpg

After

Hyundai India, unreasonable long term maintenance and service practices!-photo-4.jpg

Right partially done, left not done

Hyundai India, unreasonable long term maintenance and service practices!-photo-3.jpg

Left fully done up

Hyundai India, unreasonable long term maintenance and service practices!-photo-5.jpg

Last edited by Jaggu : 31st October 2011 at 15:42.
Old 31st October 2011, 15:57   #239
BHPian

Atlast, I guess I had reached the thread I was looking for. I purchased a Santro about an year back.

Right from the day one, I've been complaining about the Gear Shift issue during down shift. When ever, I down shift from 3rd to 2nd, the 2nd gear never gets engaged. I would have to try it 3-4 times, then the 2nd gear gets engaged. Every time my Santro has visited them for service, I've mentioned this on the job sheet. Even today, after 3 services, they say that they do not see that problem at all. Where as I do find that problem always, especially when I am in heavy traffic and need frequent gear shifts. How do I explain them the issue?

There seems to be some problem with the Suspension hitting my body well on the rear left. EVerytime the car goes over a potholes, I hear a screeching sound like Metal hitting against a Metal surface. They say that they did not come across this problem, when they drove my car for checking.

I am confused about getting them to rectify these issues. Any pointers about what the issues could be and how to put these words across to H.A.S.S would be really great.
Old 31st October 2011, 16:38   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
By chance i called up my jeep mech and he mentioned that he had a vehicle which has come for transmission transplant from Auto to Manual, coz the clutch has failed and Hyundai again is quoting some 80 grand for the part. The part was in decent shape and he offered it to me.
Jaggu, where did you get the driveshaft repair job done-- at the H.A.S.S. or any other mechanic?

Spike

Most Viewed