Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2011, 18:17   #1
BHPian

2 cars with the same temporary numbers! Is this possible ?

Friends and fellow Bhpians ,today when I was driving back from college I noticed two brand new polos having the same temporary registration numbers,is this possible?
One was white while the other one was of grey colour.
Can this be some bid to avoid some costs or tax or anything else or is it legal which I don't think it is.
I am attaching pictures of both the cars and eagerly wait a reply from fellow Bhpians.
Attached Thumbnails
2 cars with the same temporary numbers! Is this possible ?-img00942201102181327.jpg  

2 cars with the same temporary numbers! Is this possible ?-img00940201102181326.jpg  

np23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2011, 18:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2 cars with the same temporary numbers!Is this possible

Yes it is very much possible. I too saw a punto bought from the same dealer as I did and it had same GJW 01 XX XXXX registration number plate. GJW is. Temp reg plate for Ahmedabad RTO.
Old 18th February 2011, 18:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

The numbers in the picture is NOT a temporary registration. Its a Trade Certificate number. This certificate is used by the dealer to transport the cars from their warehouse to the dealership, or dealership to the RTO (for temp/permanent registration).

Often Dealers use the "TC" numbers on their Test Drive vehicles - which is illegal. TC is strictly for moving the vehicle around, and not to carry passengers or for test drives.

AND, a Dealer usually has only one TC number. He'd move all his cars using that number. I am not sure what would be the legal part if such a car is involved in an accident.

Last edited by binaiks : 18th February 2011 at 18:37.
binaiks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2011, 18:39   #4
BHPian

I am not sure . but i remember once a dealer told me that the dealer will be having a temp registration number which can be used on their vehicles which they bring from the yard to the showroom. So they might use this on more than one if they are to be transported to the showroom from elsewhere nearby.
Old 18th February 2011, 18:39   #5
BHPian

If I am not mistaken, this is a "Trade Certificate" number and not a temporary registration number assigned by the RTO. But I am not sure whether two cars can have the same TC Number. You cannot drive in town using a TC Number. It's jurisdiction is only for a car's journey from Factory -> Dealer Yard -> Showroom -> RTO.

EDIT: binaiks has already pointed this out.
Old 18th February 2011, 18:42   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

"White on red" plates are colloquially referred to as "garage plates", and are not allotted on an individual car basis, but to a car dealer, to use when road-testing/transporting unregistered cars, before registration. The dealer usually has a few of these registrations allotted to his name, and although he is supposed to use these plates on only one car at one time, this and other instances show that he does make multiple copies of the same plate and uses them on different cars - which is illegal.
Old 3rd June 2018, 16:25   #7
BHPian

All these years I was thinking it was impossible to have the numbers genuinely allotted to 2 different vehicles! But this seems ridiculously possible!!

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/64432329.cms

Quote:
"The state transport commissioner and Chennai (Central) Regional Transport Officer were penalised for allotting the same registration number to two different cars.
S A Napina, a resident of Chetpet, was preparing all the necessary documents to cancel the hypothecation endorsement in the registration certificate of her 10-year-old Maruti 800.
Since she availed the vehicle through a loan from her employer, the car’s original registration certificate (RC) book had the hypothecation endorsement stamped on it.
After clearing the dues towards the vehicle loan, she submitted the original RC book and other relevant documents at Chennai (Central) RTO for cancelling the hypothecation endorsement.
This is when she faced an unprecedented situation. Her car’s registration number (TN 01 J 4567) was found allotted to another car by mistake at the RTO.
Instead of cancelling the endorsement in the RC book, the RTO tried to cover the goof-up by issuing a fresh RC book with a new registration number TN 01 AE 2929.

The new RC book again carried a hypothecation endorsement stamp which would get cancelled at a different date. It nearly took four years for Napina to get this issue rectified and sell her vehicle to another person.
In response, RTO officials admitted that they inadvertently allotted the same registration number to another car in Gopalapuram and that they came to know about the mistake only when Napina approached them to cancel the hypothecation endorsement."
The originally allotted number (TN 01 J 4567) must be issued in mid / late 90's since it is in the beginning of the series that we have now. The 2nd time allotted number (TN 01 AE 2929) could be the correct number considering the mentioned age of the vehicle in the article, since I had a vehicle with 'TN 01 AC' series registered in Oct' 2006.
Old 3rd June 2018, 20:29   #8
BHPian

I vaguely remember seeing a Crysta being delivered with the same temporary plates as mine while I was getting mine serviced. I was going to inquire about the same but forgot to as I was busy getting my issue sorted. I felt that it was deliberate since my car was delivered a week ago.

EDIT: I revived some files and now I get to know I was driving around with the trade ceritficate instead of the TR. Here are some images:
2 cars with the same temporary numbers! Is this possible ?-20180603_205141.jpg
We taking the delivery of the car, a part of the number is hidden by my leg but that contains the state code only.
Number mentioned- UP32TC0664A
Now, the RTO provided document:
2 cars with the same temporary numbers! Is this possible ?-20180603_205020.jpg
The correct number in the document, is mentioned at the top(UP/32/TMP/2017/12282) This shows how lazy a dealer could be, if the customer doesn't notice.

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd June 2018 at 21:41. Reason: Merged as requested
Old 3rd June 2018, 20:48   #9
BHPian

Re: 2 cars with the same temporary numbers! Is this possible ?

Well even I have witnessed my friends Activa 5g and a creta had the same temporary number, he was the one to notice but he didn't care because we were going to the dealership to get the permanent number plates fitted.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd June 2018 at 21:40.
Old 18th April 2019, 19:39   #10
BHPian

Duplicate Number Plates- A deliberate action

Before I begin, I'd like to state that I thought long and hard if I should start a thread on this or not. It kept bugging me as to why this is being done and I would momentarily get very annoyed every time I saw those particular vehicles around.

So here it goes. UP80TC0289

This is a number plate of the AGRA, Uttar Pradesh region and it is being used on at least five vehicles that I have counted, SIMULTANEOUSLY!
What makes it interesting is that the vehicles are all new Honda cars. I have counted 3 new Jazz's, a new Amaze and a BR-V.

I cannot understand why a single Temp number is being shared amongst so many cars, and specifically Honda cars. There is just one dealer in Agra and all the vehicles are from that showroom.

Now here is another worrying bit, 10 years ago we bought the Jazz at the same dealer and had the same freaking Temp number until properly registered at the RTO!

I may not completely understand the licencing policy of the local RTO but my logical brain tells me unique numbers on each car. It is such a big problem if the cars involved in an accident and noting down the licence number reveals no data on the true owner or identity of the car as there are so many!

A quick search on the Parivahan app shows no data for the particular number. I am very confused and could someone tie up these loose ends for me

Attaching images of 3 Jazz's in 3 colours- Lunar silver metallic VX- Diesel, modern steel metallic(grey) V-Diesel and golden brown metallic V-Petrol.
I don't have images of the Amaze or the BR-V. I will try to snap some the next time I see them.
And lastly, my old Jazz from 2009 with exactly the same!
Attached Thumbnails
2 cars with the same temporary numbers! Is this possible ?-img_20190226_141347-1.jpg.png  

2 cars with the same temporary numbers! Is this possible ?-img_20190418_144456.jpg  

2 cars with the same temporary numbers! Is this possible ?-img_20190418_144505.jpg  

2 cars with the same temporary numbers! Is this possible ?-screenshot_20190418190130.jpg  

2 cars with the same temporary numbers! Is this possible ?-sa400375.jpg  

Last edited by lemedico : 18th April 2019 at 19:48. Reason: Edited text
lemedico is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2019, 19:52   #11
BHPian

Re: Duplicate Number Plates- A deliberate action

This has been discussed in another thread previously: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-possible.html (2 cars with the same temporary numbers! Is this possible ?)

Possible solution in case of a hit and run: the temporary number can be tracked down to the dealer, and his inventory/recent sale records can then be checked to arrive at the doorstep of the errant driver.
boniver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2019, 19:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

Re: Duplicate Number Plates- A deliberate action

AFAIK, "TC" is transit/emporarily number given to car dealers for shifting the cars from warehouse to showroom, etc.

One dealer gets few TC numbers.

The new thing is HSRPs for TCs also.
Attached Thumbnails
2 cars with the same temporary numbers! Is this possible ?-tc1.jpg  

2 cars with the same temporary numbers! Is this possible ?-tc2.jpg  

mukeshgoel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2019, 19:59   #13
BHPian

i happened to buy one of my cars in Agra and surprisingly the dealer there neither provides a temporary registration number nor insists on customer getting the same on his own from the RTO before giving delivery whereas in most other parts of the country the vehicle won't roll out of dealership without temporary number.
The TC number is for dealership usage and is not meant for customer usage AFAIK.
Old 19th April 2019, 10:18   #14
SRK
Senior - BHPian

This article throws some light on how dealers misuse the TC (Trade Certificate) for their own gain - https://www.mid-day.com/articles/mum...umber/20645198
Old 19th April 2019, 10:37   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post
So here it goes. UP80TC0289

This is a number plate of the AGRA, Uttar Pradesh region and it is being used on at least five vehicles that I have counted, SIMULTANEOUSLY!
The enterprising dealer has gone ahead and put temp numbers on a regular number plate to avoid attention of cops. Nothing more. This way, he will use these cars for test drives, ferrying staff, etc. and later reset the odo and sell to unsuspecting customers.

TC numbers are usually assigned for diesel and petrol model - or at least in the dealership where I worked had one no. for each fuel type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik hill View Post
The dealer there neither provides a temporary registration number nor insists on customer getting the same on his own from the RTO before giving delivery whereas in most other parts of the country the vehicle won't roll out of dealership without temporary number.
Incase of a mishap, the owners will have to bear expenses out of their pockets. The insurance would not cover it.

Quote:
The TC number is for dealership usage and is not meant for customer usage AFAIK.
Correct. Its not even allowed for test drives, but come dealers anyways do it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks