Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2006, 20:13   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33 View Post
Saw this one at ARAI ?

I feel a hint of Scorpio in rear design.
Yups.. at the ARAI. And today, I saw an Elantra with some things written on its side (couldnt see what it was, too fast) and had a strange paper regn no. (DL3 CCFX something).
Also spotted a diesel Lancer undergoing testing.
Old 8th December 2006, 20:14   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33 View Post
Actually a combination design. Qualis boot door & Scorpio tail lights.
Old 8th December 2006, 22:49   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
And today, I saw an Elantra with some things written on its side (couldnt see what it was, too fast) and had a strange paper regn no. (DL3 CCFX something).
If it was blue colored then just ignore it.
Belongs to some student in MIT college
Old 11th December 2006, 10:27   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The rear is a perfect rip-off of the Qualis, and the lights seems like some after market fitting on a Qualis..!!
Old 31st December 2006, 14:47   #50
BHPian

For those who havent driven it yet - go drive one and it will change the way u look at it.
I had gone to the factory in feb 2006 to test drive one and going by the thing that it wasnt even the hundredth one to roll out of the brand new factory, the Rhino seems built too good. The Rhino comes from a tractor manufacturer but it doesnt show at all in the way it drives and feels. I pushed it a lot thru the in built test track and then on the NH-88 to dharamshala and i was impressed. only low point was that the power was all up in the upper rpm range - not good for a diesel. after the death of the qualis, the Rhino has found a good vacumm

you can read the entire test report at
ICML Rhino S2 - Wild Wild Rhino | First Drives - CarWale.com India
Old 31st December 2006, 23:18   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post

For those who havent driven it yet - go drive one and it will change the way u look at it.
I had gone to the factory in feb 2006 to test drive one and going by the thing that it wasnt even the hundredth one to roll out of the brand new factory, the Rhino seems built too good. The Rhino comes from a tractor manufacturer but it doesnt show at all in the way it drives and feels. I pushed it a lot thru the in built test track and then on the NH-88 to dharamshala and i was impressed. only low point was that the power was all up in the upper rpm range - not good for a diesel. after the death of the qualis, the Rhino has found a good vacumm

you can read the entire test report at
ICML Rhino S2 - Wild Wild Rhino | First Drives - CarWale.com India
I have seen the rhino during the trade fair here in delhi... Its the most pathetically built car that i have come across.
The plastics, inside are awful, the headlights the tail lights seems to have come from a local manufacturer... its PATHETIC.

Read your report on this... Sorry to say but it smacks of BIAS and FAVOURISM. I am glad i am not one of the buyers of CAR Mag.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 31st December 2006 at 23:29.
Old 31st December 2006, 23:26   #52
BHPian

if u compare it with the likes of the innova/safari, it will suck but if u see if wrt to the price band it is positioned at, it is quite good. Go to punjab and see the numbers of Rhinos on the road and you will get my point. and this is aimed (as of now) towards mass people mover segment and in this segment, if the quality of interiors/exterior is bad, it doesnt matter. what matters is price, fuel economy etc and company claims 15kmpl on highways.
This aint a family car or something like that, that one car crib about the poor interiors (as it is, they were better than the likes of the Sumo)

May be you havent driven a sumo or a Bolero lately and may be you dont know the market prices of these vehicles, which are in the class where the Rhino is aimed at.

Sorry to you, some people like you fail to dig in deeper and see where a vehicle is positioned at. And sorry to say again that its people like you who like mocking and fail to understand that shifting from a tractor manufacturer to a UV vehicle maker means a lot and driving there first batch of rhinos didnt even give the slightest hint of the company's agricultural past. anyways, actions speak LOUDER than words and the sales are speaking for themselves in Punjab at the moment (as the company hasnt penetrated in other states)

Last edited by BunnyPunia : 31st December 2006 at 23:32.
Old 1st January 2007, 01:43   #53
Senior - BHPian

Interesting review.

Did not see any on the roads when I was in Punjab a few months ago. I travelled from Sangrur to Amritsar via Ludhiana, Jalandhar and I did not spot one on the road. Similar on my trip to Chandigarh via Patiala I did not see a Rhino (excluding the real ones at Chaat Bir Zoo). I wonder where these vehicles are in Punjab ? Sitting in dealerships ?

The dealer I visited near Sangrur was empty and the service area was also very quiet. One car had all its electricals being checked (the guy claimed it had nothing wrong and was in for a normal service) since when has a normal service involved stripping all the dashboard and unplugging the various connectors.

I agree with Extreme Torque, the vehicle is very substandard in terms of its exterior and interior. It looks sturdy but interior wise it is very poor. Put the drivers seat all the way back and see how much leg room the rear passenger has. The plastics look as if they have come from a recylcle program for 1970s Ford Cortinas. The Rhino would not look out of place in a 1970s Dhamendra movie.

Quote:
The best way to describe the interiors would be 'neat and clean'!
I think cheap and tacky would be better words.

From what I can recall the driving position was also poor.
Old 1st January 2007, 02:05   #54
Senior - BHPian

What are the on road prices of this vehicle in punjab.
Old 1st January 2007, 03:05   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
What are the on road prices of this vehicle in punjab.
Rs 5,90,000 OTR for the review model. I think the bog standard Safari diesel might be more appealing to buyers who can afford the 5.9lakh Rhino.

Its a shame they could not pick Rovers brains about the interiors (and exteriors).
Old 10th January 2007, 00:50   #56
Team-BHP Support

I feel both Bunny and extreme_torque are both right and wrong...

BunnyPunia has driven the vehicle... No others have, i guess... So, got to repect what he says of the car...

If Xtreme_torque didnt like its build, got to respect that too... Some appreciate build quality a lot...

As for me... I havent seen the rhino... I didnt like the looks from the pics, and i feel the looks are copied... But, not into any arguments over the vehicle cause i havet driven, nor seen it...
Old 10th January 2007, 00:54   #57
Senior - BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Personal attacks and abusive language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

Lets get on with a clean discussion. Give your opinion without attacking others.
Old 10th January 2007, 01:04   #58
BHPian

The interiors of the top of the line version, which may go on sale

Old 10th January 2007, 02:19   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
The interiors of the top of the line version, which may go on sale

Is this the same as the car you tested ? The top of the range model I was shown had a very cheap dash etc. The plastic looked as if it had been made by recycling old M800 dashboards.

The picture you have posted look alot better. If this is similar to your test model I can see why you did not use the words cheap and tacky.
Old 10th January 2007, 02:25   #60
BHPian

the one i drove a lot (blue color, as in the most of the pics) did have normal interiors while this one is the top of the line with all the goodies including head rest mounted screens, a mini fridge and even a PC at the back! (behind the rear seats)

one more picture

Most Viewed